Jobkeeper Monthly payments for casuals

Kathy Komadina
Kathy Komadina Member Posts: 16
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I have a couple of casual employees that are paid on a monthly basis but in arrears, so for example we pay the March month payroll in the first few days of April. One of these casuals needs to have a Jobkeeper topup to get her above the $3000 per month. The other is paid over the $3000.
My question is: does the payment received in early April (which is actually related to the March month pay period) count towards the April calculation of the top-up amount? Or should I be ignoring this payment in April (because it relates to the March pay period) and changing our payroll to get her time sheets for April in early and pay her for April payroll before the end of April, and calculate the topup amount from the April payroll only?
I know this is confusing sorry! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kathy

Comments

• Adrian_6974554
    Adrian_6974554 Member Posts: 191 ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    JobKeeper applies to when the payment was made, not period was worked.  So if paid between 30 March and 12 April then within the first fortnight.
    Adrian

• Kathy Komadina
    edited April 2020
    Great thanks Adrian!
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    HI Kathy.  My opinion is based on the information which Reckon has consistently stated.  For payments made in March, which could include back payments made in a special pay run this week (by/before 30/4/2020), you can claim the start date as FN01.  There are "plenty" of employers who will have paid in that first fortnight period(up to 10/3/2020) for wages which will have related either wholly or partly to a period in March.  So, unless you count that first payment in April, you will not have an opportunity to claim for an FN01 start unless you make another payment for April earnings by/before 30/4/2020) or else you will not be seen to have actually made that top-up payment sometime during April.  This leeway, for a top-up payment for April, to be made in FN03, by/before 30/4/2020 is an exemption only allowed for April.
    John L G
  • Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 439 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    edited June 2020
    Just to clarify on Adrian's response - to qualify for JobKeeper from FN01, payments must be made during April, rather than by 12 April.   
  • Kathy Komadina
    edited April 2020
    Thanks John, I was planning to do a top up payment today to top up the casual who was under the $3000 per month. So to calculate the amount of top up to pay I will take the $3000 less the $1116 she was paid on 3 April, and therefore pay her $1884 (less PAYG) today?
    Going forward though is it still OK to pay her monthly and early on in the month as long as the topup is included in that payment. For example say on 3 May?
  • Kathy Komadina
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Bruce
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Kathy.  Based on the information provided by Reckon and others, everything revolves around the payment date.  That would mean that your payment on say 3rd May would include a top up for the month of May.
    John L G
  • Kathy Komadina
    edited April 2020
    OK thanks for your help John