Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 105,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Bridget Goodman

Bridget Goodman

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
I have a payroll of 70 employees, 40 of these are eligible for Jobkeeper. Unfortunately I had to process the payroll for the first jobkeeper period yesterday, and I've uploaded to STP. What do you suggest I do to rectify?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 98,276 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Bridget,
My understanding is that you can go back your Reckon software and delete the payrun, follow the JobKeeper documentation to setup the pay items and process and then send through an STP Update Event.
Info on Update Events here.
Photo of Bridget Goodman

Bridget Goodman

ok thanks
Photo of Craig Burgess

Craig Burgess

• 60 Points
Hi All

I think the instructions regarding withholding tax are incorrect for the JOBKEEEPER-START-FN01. I loaded the allowance following the instructions and went back to change the details on my last pays for the period commencing 30th March and it did not withhold tax. 

You clearly have to withhold as JobKeeper is a Gross Payment so the instructions need correcting.

happy to stand correct but l think l am correct

Cheers

Craig 
Photo of Gillian

Gillian

• 440 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Craig from what I understand the top-up is what holds the payg and the start-fn01 is only there to advise the ATO what is going on when you do STP
Photo of Lan

Lan

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Craig, the start-fnxx is only to let ATO know when employee should be starting their JK payments - no amount is assigned to this payroll item therefore no need for payg to be ticked. Only jk-topup has amounts assigned, therefore payg is ticked for this payroll item only.
Photo of Jason Hollis

Jason Hollis, Head of Product

• 10,608 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Gillian and Lan are correct. Thanks guys. 

Craig you will note that the START and FINISH items are to be set at NIL value ($0.00). If you have a value that attracts tax then these have not been used correctly.

Summary:
START / FINISH pay items are just to inform ATO of eligible employees who are entering / exiting the scheme. If the employee already earns more than the $1,500/fn there is nothing else to do rather than start / finish them. nb. The ATO have advised that when the scheme ends all employees will automatically be FINISHED. 

The TOPUP pay item attracts tax and is sent in every pay run. 
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jason.  After setting the START and FINISH items as 0.00 and finishing the action, I notice that when you go back into the Items, the field is blank again.  Is that OK?   
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 98,276 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Allan,
Yes that is fine. The START and FINISH items are only meant to update the ATO for when an employee starts and stops receiving JobKeeper.
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

Hi Rav, I've gone back and edited the pay slips for w/e 10/4 & 17/4 to identify the JK codes.  Does it make sense that when I go re-print the pay slip, those codes don't appear even though I can see them on the paycheque?  Do I need to do a complete new payroll? 
Photo of Jason Hollis

Hi Allan. Remember 0.00 values dont appear on our payslips. We have a FAQ on this. I'll add the link in a minute. 
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

My main concern that the JK codes won't get picked up when I submit on STP.  Is that not an issue?
Photo of Jason Hollis

HERE is the link. 

And yes it will. If you are concerned you can review your STP submission in Reckon GovConnect before you submit to the ATO. 
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

Hi Jason, do I select a Full Replacement or Updated Event before sending off to STP?  If I do the former will that override the data I previously sent for w/e 10/4?  
Photo of Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy

• 1,066 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If you're updating previous pays then you need to do an Update Event
Photo of Jason Hollis

The confusion lies with the ATO preferring that the START/FINISH items are 0.00 value,  which we have allowed in Reckon GovConnect however lots of software sees 0.00 as nothing "blank/null" > as does Reckon Accounts. 

The best way to ensure the items are sending is to review your submission in Reckon GovConnect. 

Or, as noted, some users are adding the allowance as 0.01 to give them some peace of mind > the ATO have said they will accept this as well as 1.00.

Either option is fine, but as I said, we recommend checking the STP submission in GovConnect (not all vendors have this option and lodge straight from the software). 
Photo of Robyn

Robyn

• 656 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for that, Rav. I have three questions. It looks like at he end of April our turnover will be 30% less than April 2019. We are still trading and paying all employees normal wages in excess of the $1500 per fortnight. We have a fortnightly pay schedule which doesn't align exactly with the ATO fortnightly schedules for Job Keeper.
1. I'm assuming that, if we trigger eligibility at the end of April, we keep our own pay schedule and go by the pay date which simply falls within the ATO designated fortnights?
2. Will our three April pays (which have been already STP reported) need amending with the JOBKEEPER-START_FNXXX payroll item once we have enrolled for Job Keeper on ATO portal?  
3. As we are currently paying in excess of the $1500 for all employees, do we still need to see up the Job Keeper Payroll items or will we need to wait until we are in a top up situation
Sorry for bombarding you but i've been following the thread and not sure if these have been covered,
Regards,
Robyn
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 104,960 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Robyn,
My first recommendation would be to check out the info in this JobKeeper FAQ document from Treasury as I believe it covers the majority of your scenarios but let me know if it doesn't quite cover what you need and I'll see if I can get more info for you.

JobKeeper Payment — Frequently Asked Questions
Photo of Robyn

Robyn

• 656 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
OK Shall do. Thanks.
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

• 398 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, I am also in the same situation as Robyn with all employees paid in excess of $1500 gross per fortnight.  In this case do we still need to setup all these new payroll items or just process wages under normal payroll categories (we are still paying super & leave accruals on these normal earnings)? 

If in fact we do need to setup these new JobKeeper payroll categories then do we split the earnings between gross wages & JobKeeper for employees paid in excess of the $1500 per fortnight? (e.g. if an employee is paid $3000 gross per fortnight would that be recorded as $1500 JobKeeper & $1500 gross normal earnings/wages?)

Note: our turnover has decreased by > 30%?  Thanks in advance. Tanya
(Edited)
Photo of Lea Halton

Lea Halton

• 72 Points
I understand the first period for Jobkeeper payments is 30/3 to 12/4.  I have already processed wages on 6th April (for the period 21/3 to 3/4), 9th April (for the period 28/3 to 10/4) & on 16th April (for the period 4/4 to 17/4) - all staff are being paid above $1500 per fortnight so I don't need to do the Jobkeeper top up payment but will need to put in the Jobkeeper first payment for each of these guys if it's their first payment - do i need to go back & fix all these to show which one was the first within the ATO first period dates of 30/3 to 12/4?

Thanks just want to make sure I do this right.....
Photo of Lan

Lan

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Lea, that's the situation we're in. Ideally we'd just put the jobkeeper-start-fn01 into our next payrun to show ATO eligible employees for when to start payments, rather than amending and resubmitting previous payruns. Rav say's this is the guidance he has received from ATO, however other accounting software like MYOB have mentioned the aforementioned scenario also works. I'd like to see this guidance from ATO if possible, to see if it's just a case of interpretation.  Waiting to hear back from Rav and Jason regarding this issue.
Photo of Lilly Scalora

Lilly Scalora

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As my understanding, if your eligible employees fortnight pay is over $1500 and you can just process payment as normal. Only those fortnight pay is lower than $1500, you need top-up as an allowance. Once you pay all eligible employees $1500/fortnight, ATO will reimburse the business at next month. I called ATO today, they said there is no need to add Jobkeeper start date and re-submit passed pay runs. 
Photo of LEANNE

LEANNE

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Guys,  Thanks so much for this.  Love the step by step process.  We pay weekly Monday to Friday so our first payment for the Jobkeeper will be this Friday 24th.  Didn't pay the Jobkeeper before this week so how will my start number look if we pay weekly.  Do we just allocate 20/4-26/4 as FN02 and then next week will be FN03 and the week after that FN03. Any help is appreciated.  Sorry using Reckon Accounts Plus 2019

(Edited)
Photo of Mary

Mary

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Leanne, Im sorry where do you the step by step process on jobkeeper? thanks for your help
Photo of LEANNE

LEANNE

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It is in Rav's original post up the top of the page.  Click on the blue links. I printed them out so it's easier for me.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 99,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Let me ask the team about your question Leanne. Will come back to you shortly.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Leanne,
You will only need to use START-FNXX once to indicate the start of employee JobKeeper payment on pay run then lodge via STP.
You will not need to include START-FNXX for the employee on the next pay run onward.
Photo of jaa

jaa

Hi Rav... have i missed the update for jobkeeper Reckon Accounts Premier...?
Signed .....Trying very hard to be little miss patience
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Jaa,
Click on the links in my opening post above to get full info on how to handle JobKeeper payments with your Reckon Accounts software.
Photo of jaa

jaa

Ta... i think your post earlier for not being quite ready for premier payroll confused me! (Not that it takes too much right now)
Photo of ERIN

ERIN

• 394 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
at the top of this post Mary, there are a couple of hyperlinks to click on
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
As I have done the wages yesterday, can I just amend the pays to include the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXXX payroll item? I haven't lodged the STP with the ATO as yet. All employees are paid over the $1500 amount so I don't have to worry about the Top Up item.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 103,424 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you've processed the pay run in your Reckon software, you'll need to delete it and configure the JobKeeper pay items & recreate it. Once that is done you can send through your STP submission.
Photo of Donna Harvie

Donna Harvie

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Just a comment on what you have just said - I went back into each individual that I paid and added the START-FN01 item (after unlocking net pay), added the TOP-UP item in then uploaded an update in STP. Would this correct the previously submitted STP file uploaded?
(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Donna,
Please ensure that you create the STP submission as an Update Event in your Reckon software and then select the Update a previously sent submission option in GovConnect when you are uploading it (screenshot below).

Photo of Colleen Topping

Colleen Topping

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Donna,  I am in the same situation as you, pay weekly and first pay run was 1/4/20. I understand that I have to go back and edit the last 3 weeks of pays and I have 2 employees that fall under the $750 a week criteria. The top up I add to there pays, do I just then pay that additional amount after tax to them today. How are you handling that part of the process?
Photo of Colleen Topping

Colleen Topping

Also what happens when it is a 5 week month as is April and July?
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

Hi Amanda,  hoping you can clarify for me please.  I have 3 employees all paid over $1500 per fortnight so do I just setup the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX payroll item & that's all?  My payroll is done weekly so is the FN01 allocated twice, once each week in the fortnight or just the first week of the fortnight? Thanks in advance. Tanya
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

Hi Tanya,
Yes, as your employees all earn over $1500 per fortnight, the JK-Start-FNXX is the only payroll item you will need to set up. From what I understand you only need to include this item once in your payroll.
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

Thank you Amanda.  Sincere appreciation for your response.
Photo of Michele Hicks

Michele Hicks

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav

If we have already processed the payroll for FN01 and lodged our STP, should we change the payroll with the new pay items and lodge STP again as an update event and if so would that be as a full file replacement or update a previously completed submission? Thanks

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 105,082 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Michelle,
After making the changes, send the STP pay event through as an Update Event.
Photo of Dianne

Dianne

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, I am in a similar position as two employees did a couple of hours in the first and second week of the first fortnight.  I have lodged STPs for both weeks.  As there are other employees also to receive the jobkeeper for that first fortnight, I am guessing I update all pays and create new pays for those weeks as an unscheduled pay week (?) or do I use the same scheduled pay week(?) with the topup amount and relodge the STPs for those weeks as an update event for each.  I then pay them the difference.  Can you please confirm this would be the correct process.
(Edited)
Photo of Accounts

Accounts

• 72 Points
HI Rav  
If we are going to do a "catch up" payment of $3000 gross for employees who have been stood down by the end of April as per the ATO guidelines I assume we use FN01 in the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX as my understanding is the ATO will pay both fortnights in May and then revert to paying fortnightly.  Is this correct?

Photo of Leanne

Leanne

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Do we need to update Reckons Accounts Plus to the 2020 version, before we set up the JobKeeper .   Of when do people normally update to the next version.  I have noticed that it is out now.  Thanks Leanne
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 100,044 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Accounts,
I've asked internally about your question and yes you can do it in the way you've outlined.
Photo of Lan

Lan

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
In relation to this scenario, if we're processing a new payrun, would we then just include JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 in this new payrun and JOBKEEPER-TOPUP to top up to $3000? I.e. no need to edit previous payruns, delete and rerun, etc etc?
Photo of Wini1010

Wini1010

• 70 Points
Hi Rav,
I have a similar question to Lan. Can we do an unscheduled payrun before 30 April including a JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 for all eligible employees from fortnight 1
and a JOBKEEPER-TOPUP for those eligible employees needing a top up to $3000 for the month?
Then lodge an STP for this unscheduled payrun. 
Therefore no need to delete, edit or re-run previous payrolls or lodge STP updates.
Photo of Claudia Callero

Claudia Callero

• 0 Points
Did you end up running an unscheduled payrun?
I am processing  JOBKEEPER TOP UP  tomorrow do I do an unscheduled payrun for the two fortnights in April with pay date 08/05/20?
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav.  I have two questions.  
1.  My understanding is that employees whose hours have been reduced due to COVID-19 are still to accrue leave entitlements at the rate they were accruing prior to reduction.  Is there a way in the system that this can be accommodated or will leave accrual need to be adjusted manually?
2. Just looking at Step 5 on Page 3 of your Processing Instructions.  It's my understanding that the first $750 needs to paid as JobKeeper and anything an employee earns above that is paid as a top up by the employer.  In your case, the employee's normal wage is $500 and that is what is being paid as 'Hourly Pay' and the Job Keeper is only kicking in as a top-up for the remaining $250.  Wouldn't this result in the ATO only paying $250 in that case rather than $750?            
Allan
Photo of Kirsten

Kirsten

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Allan, my understanding is that if they're earning over $750 you pay just as normal, you don't use the Jobkeeper top up allowance.  Then you as the employer will receive the $750 as a subsidy.  You just need to let the ATO when you want to start claiming the subsidy.  So all leave, super entitlements stay the same if your employee is earning above $750 a week.
Photo of Jenny T

Jenny T

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Kirsten, That was what I was told also. If all your employees are above the $1500 you run your payroll as normal and just account for the subsidy as other income when it comes in but reading your comment below do I still need to do the START-FNXX $0 to trigger it with the ATO. I'm confused as I was told we only had to put the application in and do our pays as normal.
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

• 608 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Jenny you still need your first payrun to trigger. Just go back to the paycheque, add in the Jobkeeper-start and resubmit your STP for the first one that falls into the fortnight, then you're done. I agree, none of this information was given to us, however, if you do read some of the ATO fine print, it says it was working with Software companies to give you the FULL amount of details on how to handle this. This information has now come out by all the major software companies so it's correct. It's very easy to set up if you read through the info it explains it very well.
Photo of Jenny T

Jenny T

Thanks Michelle I did think it sounded too easy when everyone else was tearing their hair out. I'll go back and update the last pay-run as you said.
Thanks for your help.
Photo of Kirsten

Kirsten

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, do we need to put $0.01 in the field for JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX as I've read elsewhere that STP does not report $0 earnings to the ATO?
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I did not put 1cent, my JK start was added into Gov Connect and submitted as a $0 without any issues.
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
HI Kirsten
I went pay to our pay period related to the first fortnight and amended the pay by entering the JobKeeper-Start-FN01 with .01c in allowances then I entered it again on the next line with -.01c (negative) saved it and reprinted pay slips.  Then I saved  STP report again and uploaded as updated STP and when I had a look in the details it showed up as JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 with no 1 cent   Hope this helps.  I tried to add 1c first then subtract from PAYG as per my ACCT instructions like MYOB but it is messy and unnecessary.
Photo of Donna Harvie

Donna Harvie

It does accept a $0 payment - I did it as an Update Event
Photo of Leanne

Leanne

• 1,388 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
Sorry if I have missed the answer to this.  Our pay cycles run as 25.3.20 - 7.4.20 and the current one is 8.4.20 - 21.4.20 with payment tomorrow

If I was to go back and change the 25.3 - 7.4 pay cycle and include job keeper I assume this is FN01. The current cycle 8.4 - 21.4 becomes fn02.  What happens given that our pay cycles cross over the ATO Fortnights.  How do i calculate the $1500 and show it in each of our pay cycles.

thanks

Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
From the information I read on Reckon it says you only just "Start" or "Finish" when appropriate. Once started, you're off. But each employee may have different "Start" dates hence the different start codes eg: Staff might be on parents leave or workers comp. And the finish code is obviously for people who may resign or leave employment.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 102,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leanne & Michelle,
I'm adding a link below with the JobKeeper reporting periods which hopefully clears this up a bit further.

Jobkeeper reporting periods

Photo of Karen

Karen

• 70 Points

I have just one person who needs topping up for Jobkeeper for the second fortnight.  She earned enough in the first fortnight but her hours were cut back in the second.  I have 2 questions for this,

1. Do we have to go back to the pays for the first week and put in against each employee JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 and resubmit the payroll or is it only if they have to be topped up (which in the first fortnight they don’t).  If we do have to go back, do I make it the first pay or the second pay in that fortnight as we are paid weekly?
  2. For the person that needs topping up in the second fortnight, do I use JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 or JOBKEEPER-START-FN02.  She qualifies for jobkeeper with her ordinary hours in the first fortnight but needs to be topped up in the second fortnight.

Photo of Tiffany

Tiffany

• 374 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav
On the other software information it states that STP does not report $0  earnings to the ATO so if we don't use $.01 to enter an amount for the start up will it report to the ATO ??

Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

• 568 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have lodged STP in Gov Connect with $0 earnings for JK Start,  and it shows up fine. 
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Tiffany as above,
I went pay to our pay period related to the first fortnight and amended the pay by entering the JobKeeper-Start-FN01 with .01c in allowances then I entered it again on the next line with -.01c (negative) saved it and reprinted pay slips.  Then I saved  STP report again and uploaded as updated STP and when I had a look in the details it showed up as JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 with no 1 cent   Hope this helps.  I tried to add 1c first then subtract from PAYG as per my ACCT instructions like MYOB but it is messy and unnecessary.
Photo of Jenny T

Jenny T

Hi Tanya, I just put 0.00 for the allowance and did an update event and when I check the employee details in the portal it is showing the JobKeeper Allowance but now you have me worried. If it's showing under the employee in the portal it must be okay though?
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
HI Jenny
I looked at the pay slips and with just a 0.00 it did not show up so I did 0.01 then entered it again on the next line subtracting it with -0.01. This showed up in the STP report details as just one line with JOBKEEPER-START-FN-01
Photo of Emma

Emma

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, we have done 2 payrolls in Apr: 6th & 20th. There are some staff eligible for refund on 1st payroll and the rest starting from 2nd payroll date. How do you suggest to amend the pays? Do we just go to the 2nd payroll and insert FN01 for those eligible staff from 1st pay and insert FN02 for the staff become eligible from 2nd pay? Rather than amending each single pay under both payrolls?
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

Emma I just went into individual pay cheques on the relevant week and added the JK code and then re-submitted the STP. This could be more difficult with a larger payrun, but I think it's the safest way to maintain the integrity of your payruns.
Photo of Tiffany

Tiffany

• 374 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Emma claim from the first fortnight if both you and your employees are eligible and that way you will get the $1500 for each employee which is either used as a top up to bring the employees wage up to the $1500 per fortnight or if the employee has earned over the $1500 per fortnight it is a payment from the ATO to your business to help subsidize keeping those employees. 
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

Can I just take a moment to thank you guys for the great information. Easy to follow/read and I'm all set up now. Appreciate that very much.
Photo of Julie Holloway

Julie Holloway

I'd like to thank you Michelle. Until I read your earlier thread I was all set to delete last week's payrun and redo it as FN01 - now I have simply updated as per your suggestion, which took a fraction of the time a full re-run would have taken - and it all seems to have gone well. :)
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I apologise in advance for the bomardment of questions:-
  1. I pay weekly so does that that mean FN01 should be used for both pay periods within the fortnightly time frames? i.e. I paid on the 5th April and the 12th April, so both pays for eligible employees will be FN01?

2. My understanding is you only use the FinishAllowance  when your employee will not be receiving anymore Job keeper payments? due to resignation,otherwise you FinishAllowance on FN13(LAst Payment)

3. I have an employee coming online next week so her pay will commence from FN02 correct?

4. If my employee wage is $100, how will I make this entry in Reckon?
    Hourly wage $100
    Jobkeeper-Topup $1400 

5. If employer earns over $750, pay them as normal but how do you report this to ATO so that you still receive the subsidy?
(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 98,418 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To those employees, yes weekly rates should be divided into $750 minimum per week as required by the ATO.
They will fall under FN01 to START, the new employees who also fall under JobKeeper will fall under FN02 from the 13th to the 26th of April.

In regard to FINISH, that is when they either are no longer eligible for JobKeeper, are fully terminated from the business with no rehire, resign etc.
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

So my first pay for an employee eligible from 5th April will look like this in Reckon, her pay from actually working is $800, what entries do I need 

JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 $0
Normal Pay $800

How to account for the jobkeeper in this eample.

If she earnt less than $750 it would look like this:

JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 $0
Normal Wage $100
JOBKEEPER-TOPUP $650

Is there anywhere where we can see some examples? it would save so much time in asking repeated questions?

(Edited)
Photo of Lan

Lan

Hi Cuono, from what I can interpret, you pay employee full amount that they are working e.g. if $800 is 20 hrs of work, you would pay $800 as normal, not $750 jobkeeper topup and $50 normal. (jobkeeper does not attract super guarantee, so this would disadvantage the employee, you need to make them aware of this)

if their hours have reduce to 10 hrs due to no work, you would pay them $400 and top up jobkeeper with $350. 

if there is no work, you would top up with just jobkeeper to $750

jobkeeper is here to help subsidise cost of employees. this is what i've taken from everything so far. happy to be corrected.
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

Hi Lan, that is incorrect, super must be paid for the hours they work. If they earn $800 from working, you pay super on $800. The $750 is deposited into your account from the ATO. If they earn $500, then super will be paid on $500 and you will enter the JKTOPUP for the $250 which excludes super. The ATO will still deposit $750 into your account. Make sense.
Photo of Lan

Lan

Hi cuono, yes I've made that distinction - jobkeeper does not attract SG. This is for any employers who want to pay their employees the $750 as jobkeeper and top up with normal hours - this would disadvantage the employee. You would pay their normal working hours as per usual and top up with jobkeeper if needed.
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

so if I'm confident that I have the SG sorted correctly, do I even need to use the JK codes? 
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Allan,
I would highly recommend that you don't deviate from the guidelines listed in the documentation above and ensure that you use the JobKeeper items.
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

Jobkeeeper sits here. FYI.
(Edited)
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

Thanks for this, so if their gross wage is more than $750 all you have to reference is:
JOBKEEPER-START-FN01.

They say you only have to input  JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 once, so if the same employee gross wage is still above $750 in the second week, what do you do? leave blank?
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

Yes that is correct. If they are eligible from the first fortnight.

Yes I’ll be leaving it blank once I have signed them up in this the first fortnight until their situation changes eg: resignation
(Edited)
Photo of Eloise

Eloise

• 60 Points
What purpose do the codes serve? In the other softwares there is a single Jobkeeper allowance. Do the ATO receive the specific JobKeeper XX codes? I thought all they saw for STP purposes was just 'allowance - other' of a certain value 
Photo of Michelle Ervin

Michelle Ervin

Not all employees are eligible for jobkeeper in FN1 so essentially you’re notifying that 1) this employee is now eligible in this particular FN onwards and you’re claiming the JK, 2) this employee is no longer eligible after this particular FN and I’m no longer claiming. You’re turning on and off the claim process.
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Hollis

• 10,512 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Eloise.. yes the ATO see those codes as they are the codes the ATO have asked software vendors to use. Some vendors may well have decided to try and automate the fortnight numbering, however our testing found this to be an unreliable method and therefore the safest practice is to have the business create these so the number is correct and verified by the business, rather than leaving that up to the vendor. I hope that clarifies this for you. 
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jason.  Are these the codes that ATO will actually use to make JK payments?  If so, shouldn't those codes be applied to the first $1500pfn for all eligible employees? - which is contrary to the example of Page 3 of the 'How to process Jobkeeper payments in Reckon Accounts' document issued yesterday. 
Photo of Jason Hollis

• 10,512 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Allan, if we are looking at the same place in the doc it states: 

JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX allowance item is only used once per employee to notify the ATO that this is the first JobKeeper reporting start period for the employee.

Photo of Lan

Lan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jason,
Are you able to confirm if processing a new payrun e.g. this week, but adding in the jobkeeper start fn01 along with top ups if needed, then uploading this new payrun through STP would yield the same results as deleting/editing previous pays and uploading updates to STP? I feel this way would save time.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 97,850 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Lan
The JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX item needs to be added to the first payrun that JobKeeper payments have started from. If that's on a payrun that has already been sent previously then you will need to go back and edit it to accurately reflect the start point for the ATO.
Photo of Kirsten

Kirsten

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd like to know this too, much easier than amending past pay runs
Photo of Lan

Lan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, thanks for the reply. If this week we are topping up relevant pays to $3000 before end of April as per guidelines, would this then be the first payrun jobkeeper payments have started and we would be reimbursed full april amounts in may? Therefore not needing to edit previous runs?
(Edited)
Photo of Wini1010

Wini1010

• 70 Points
I'd like to know this too, much easier than amending past pay runs.
I am aware that MYOB are advising it is okay to do it this way, not sure if there's a reason Reckon is different.
Photo of Kirsten

Kirsten

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes Quickbooks also say it's ok to add to current pay run as it's just advising the ATO which fortnight you want to start claiming.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 97,850 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The latest information we have been advised by the ATO is that the START item needs to be from the first payrun that includes these payments not subsequent.
I'll ask again internally about it but at this stage that is our recommendation.
Photo of Tanya

Tanya

Hello, can someone please clarify for me if all my employees earn $1500 or greater per fortnight do I need to setup these JobKeeper payroll items in Reckon or just pay as normal?  I have posted this question elsewhere twice with no response.  Hoping someone can help as I have payroll to run first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance. Tanya
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

Hi Tanya,
The only item you need to set up is the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX. You will pay your employees as normal, but put the extra item in the "Other Payroll Items".
(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Tanya,
As Amanda has mentioned you will still need to add the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX item as this flags the business is claiming the subsidy to the ATO for this employee.
Photo of Stephanie Siow

Stephanie Siow

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, I rang support for Reckon One, the support team advised me to do FULL REPLACEMENT not update.  Is that Ok?
Photo of Stephanie Siow

Stephanie Siow

Hi Rav, I just found out one of the employee is not eligible for Job Keeper Payment after I submitted to ATO via STP. Can I redo another payrun to amend the file and resubmit again?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Full File Replacement will only replace the last successfully submitted STP submission. Its ok as long that fits your current situation. Moving forward though, I'd recommend Update Events where and if required.
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

Hi Jason, what I was referring to was the example where an employee normally receives $500 but is entitled to $750 under JK.  In this case only $250 is recorded under JK but that doesn't seem right to me.  Wouldn't that mean that the ATO will only reimburse us $250 instead of the full $750? 
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

Allan regardless of employee wages, you will receive $750 from the ATO i.e. in your example the ATO is subsidizing  you to keep your employees employed. If they earn over $750 you pay the difference, either or the ATO will provide you with $750 no matter what. Remember though if your employee's wage is $500 you must pass on the $750, you cant keep the difference.
(Edited)
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

Hi Cuono.  Excuse my ignorance but if ATO are going to pay me $750 anyway, what is the point of coding some of it JK when that amount is not actually what I receive in JK?  
Photo of Stephanie Siow

Stephanie Siow

Hi Rav, there were no changes on the amount submitted to ATO via STP.  I just need to remove the clause "JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX" for the non-eligible staff. Would update is more appropriate or full replacement?  Is that ok to have so many update/replacement showing on the STP?
I do not want to confuse the ATO....

Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

I'm still trying to get my head around it....the coding triggers the ATO that you are claiming JK for that employee. When you say your not receiving it...what do you mean? The $750 in reality goes straight to your employees. I actually have staff that earn around $150 per week and will now receive $750...work that out. 
Photo of Jason Hollis

• 10,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Allan in your case it's a "top-up" as yes.. eligible employees get $750/wk ($1,500 per fortnight) regardless if they generally earn less than that. This is confusing a lot of businesses as it doesn't seem to be logical, so you're not alone, but that's the decision the gov has made. We always suggest a business contact their accountant, BAS agent or the ATO if you need to clarify any concerns. 
Photo of Allan West

Allan West

I understand that this person receives more wages than normal through JK, I get that.  My concern was that by only coding $250 as JK then that is all I would receive as JK from the ATO.  However, from other posts I've read since, it appears that isn't the case and the coding mostly relates to the Super Guarantee making sure the employer only pays Super in respect to the regular wage.  
Is there something else that the JK code does that I'm not understanding?   
Photo of Jason Hollis

JK codes are START and FINISH for eligible employees who earn over $1,500/fortnight > they are the simplest and only used once. TOPUP is used in the example you gave above where the employee earns less than the $1,500. This does not attract super however it's up to the employers discretion. 

Also note that Fair Work should be consulted. Their landing page for JK is HERE
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Hollis

Correct Allan. You recive the full subsidy. 
Photo of Jason Hollis

Also to answer your question around the code and super. Its actually nothing to do with the code, but the fact you are setting up this pay item as an ALLOWANCE. 
Photo of Aimee Gooney

Aimee Gooney

Hello,
We run our pays weekly. So I have already submitted STP for the following payruns. 1st April, 8th April, 15th April, 22nd April.
But as per the ATO it says you can re-instate employees that had been stood down and still claim for the period 30th March and "back pay" the employee however, my question is, do I create an un-scheduled payrun or do I go back and edit our previous payruns and re-submit to STP?
Photo of Gillian

Gillian

• 572 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
this is on the Reckon FAQ's 
I’ve already processed my April pays. What can I do to register for JobKeeper?

If you are going to pay the employees again by April 30th, you can include the START item in the next payrun. If you are not going to pay your employees again before April 30th, you will need to undo the last payrun, add the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX (where XX represents the JobKeeper start fortnight to be reported). Once the payrun is complete you can send this as a STP Update Event to include the new items.

Photo of Lilly Scalora

Lilly Scalora

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes we have exact same situation. I think create an unscheduled pay run before 26/04/20 is easier.
Photo of Dave Grayling

Dave Grayling

• 70 Points
How does reckon Accounts handle a Business Partner? 
We are a partnership, so I am not an employee of the business, but am still eligible for the Jobkeeper payment.  How do I handle this in Reckon accounts?  Do I have to set myself up as an employee?

Thanks. Dave
Photo of Lan

Lan

Hi Dave, no need to add in, each month you'll be making a monthly declaration that you are eligible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Sole-traders-and-other-entities/

When enrolling for jobkeeper, there would have been an option to enrol a partner/business entity.
Photo of Dave Grayling

Dave Grayling

• 70 Points
Thanks Lan
Photo of Jessica Yu

Jessica Yu

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
thank you for all the information, 
just want to confirm in Step 4 on processing JobKeeper - 
the note mention The JOBKEEPER-START- FNxx amount but be blank of (0) but if you want to show on the payslip it will need to enter 1 cent in the rate of the field this confusing if you can confirm how to enter the 1 cent to show on the payslip. 
thank you 
Photo of Jason Hollis

• 10,586 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jessica. Some businesses have asked to show JobKeeper START / FINISH on a payslip for employees to know it's been submitted (this is not an ATO requirement) and of course if the value is 0.00 our software ignores the item on the payslip. 

Therefore the solution is to make the allowance $0.01 in the pay detail when creating the pay, which you can either pay to the employee, or create a reverse deduction item to remove it from the NET pay. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jessica Yu

Jessica Yu

Thank you, so it is ok to place a 0.01 cent in the rate section on the JOBKEEPER-START-FNxx  to show on the payslip. as when it mention "MUST be blank(or 0)  it reads to me that no amount can be entered or it will delay the process through ATO. 
if you can confirm its ok to enter the 0.01 cent in the JOBKEEPER START-FN line to show on the payslip that will be great. 
Photo of Jason Hollis

Hi Jessica. No problem. 

As for the ATO, they accept 0, 0.01 or 1.00 or 1 > this is because ALL software is different. We actually had to make a change in Reckon GovConnect so that we could accept $0.00, as this is the best practice and what the ATO have told us they prefer. 

But yes you can add the above values if you want the START or FINISH items to show (on the employee's payslip).
(Edited)
Photo of Jessica Yu

Jessica Yu

Thank you for the classification. much appreciated the assistant 
Photo of Jason Hollis

You're welcome Jessica. Thanks for reaching out as your question will no doubt help others as well. Cheers. 
Photo of Lilly Scalora

Lilly Scalora

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes I agree that JKP-START-FN01 or FINISH enter in payslip is not an ATO requirement. Also I don't think we need to re-submit passed pay run just for edit previous payroll items to show your starting date to claim JKP. Because:

1. Passed pay run submitted by STP only show W1 and W2 YTD data, it does not show payslip details;
2. ATO will know your JKP start date/pay period by your JKP enrollment. In the JKP enrollment form, the company declare the starting period to participate JKP and how many eligible employees register for payment. These information will be enough for ATO make reimbursement $1500/fortnight per eligible employee;
3. We can not just simply use JKP payroll item to replace normal payroll item, especially when employee worked as normal hours or reduced hours as those worked hours are attract super SGC but JKP hours are not subject to super SGC;
4. I think the software should be made easy and simple for the JKP event, not to complicate the process. The purpose of this whole things is allowed business to claim correct ATO reimbursement, which is $1500/fortnight or $19500 (six months total) per employee. So which ever way recording can do this is fine. 
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

Last question from me I hope....once you set the Start FN XX for that employee there is no need to do it again for any subsequent pays moving forward, regardless whether they earn more than $1500 per fortnight or less?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

That's correct, you only need to enter the START item once for each eligible employee.
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

Oops one more question, someone from ATO said one of the conditions  of eligibility for employees in addition to the other criteria is that they should of been on your STP payroll from 1st of March. I have someone on maternity leave from October last year, they have already been paid their maternity leave 18 week payment. They have not been on STP since March 1. Is this factual?
Photo of Jason Hollis

• 10,618 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Cuono, you can see an official response from the ATO HERE (about 2/3 of the way through the thread). 
Photo of Gillian

Gillian

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Shout-out to Rav and the Reckon team, thanks very much for the in depth help with JobKeeper etc.  The walk through guides were invaluable.  I'm certainly no Reckon guru so again thank you.
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 70 Points
Do I need to go back to the first eligible weekly pay run and put the Start FN01 in or can I do it in next weeks pay run and top up the previous 2 fortnights in the current payrun.  if I have to go back, do I have to then resubmit each payrun after this again?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 105,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
** UPDATE **

Hi everyone,
We've created a JobKeeper FAQ document which you'll find below. Its an evolving article and will be updated with more content as we proceed through this.

The FAQ also clears up a recurring question that is coming up in this, and other threads, which specifically relates to previously submitted payruns and the JOBKEEPER START-FNXX item. We've reviewed the advice from the ATO regarding this and have temporarily revised our recommendations.

Please see our JobKeeper FAQ below -

HELP ARTICLE: JobKeeper Payments FAQ
(Edited)
Photo of Aimee Gooney

Aimee Gooney

I have read the FAQ regarding previously submitted payruns however, I am still a little confused. If I only put the Jobkeeper-start- fnxx in our next payrun (29thApr) does this mean that we will only recieve payments from that fortnight?
Because after reading the ATO site it is my understanding that you can re-instate employees that had previously been let go and back pay them from the 30th March, in which case would you not need to re-submit the previoys pay runs via STP with the Jobkeeper-start-fn01 to recieve the back payments for that period?
TIA
Aimee
Photo of Gillian

Gillian

after I setup the new items in the payroll list
I went back to the first payrun of the month.
1)edited to add the JOBKEEPER START-FNXX which in my case xx = 01
2)added the top-up amount for the staff paid under $750 per week
3)ran the STP as update event and submitted
4)then edited the following week with the top-up, ran stp as an update event and submitted etc for each week.
5)emailed out payslips and processed backpays as needed.
Photo of Aimee Gooney

Aimee Gooney

Okay, thank you Gillian I appreciate your time. I will update and submit them tomorrow.
Photo of Gillian

Gillian

you're welcome
I am hopeful that the ATO may cut us some slack as we all try and muddle through
Photo of Simon Wood

Simon Wood

• 72 Points
Hi Rav there is no example where the employee is paid more than $1500 per fortnight .  Should the payslip  have JOBKEEPER -TOPUP  $0.00   OR do we just not put this item in the payslip (I have all employees JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 for their first fortnightly pay)
Cheers

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 98,034 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Simon, if your employee earns over $1500 per fortnight then in this scenario there is no JOBKEEPER-TOPUP amount required to be added to the employees pay. Only the JOBKEEPER-START-FNXX is added.
Photo of Cuono Riccio

Cuono Riccio

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
And this START-FNXX is only required to be done once per employee and never to be done again, regardless of date period. (I think I asked this before?)
Photo of Serena

Serena

We have a monthly pay cycle where the Apr pay is normally processed in the 1st week of May after collecting timesheets.

We need to process a JK topup payment before end of Apr according to the guideline. However I will not know the exact working hours for each employee at this stage.

Should I process the full $3250 as topup and include the JKstart01 payroll item and lodge it through STP. Then amend the pay run and lodge an amended STP in early May?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.