POS Kitchen Printer increased Font sizing

Rik Dillon_7332388
Rik Dillon_7332388 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in Point of Sale
Just updated to POS 2014 and added a Kitchen printer (Senor GTP 290B3). It uses a USB that has been converted to a COM port as my COM1 is already in use. It seems that a long cable (about 3m) causes problems as all is fine with a shorter one. Is there any other way to connect it? The computer is networked so I don't have that sokcet either. Also, is it possible to increase the font size on the receipt and kitchen printers?

Comments

• Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited April 2016
    I assume you mean a powered hub otherwise we'd still only have the same voltage available? The long USB cable was a temporary measure to make sure it worked - will now hard-wire it. 
    Any joy on increasing the font size on either the receipt or kitchen printer?
    Rik
  • Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited January 2015
    When I joined this forum I assumed a Recon tech would be on board to answer questions that had not been covered by info in the program or in other documentation.  I also considered other users, like myself, would be happy to share their experience.  I did not expect professionals to provide free advice.  It is very poor of Reckon not to provide comprehensive info. 
    I'm still trying to increase the font on the kitchen printer which is tiny.  It is the printer supplied in the POS kit and I've been in touch with the manufacturer (Senor) to no avail.  I was going to try the custom print settings under kitchen printer but I can't find any instructions on how to use these - very poor by Reckon
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hey Andrew, thanks for your ongoing contribution to the POS Community; it's greatly appreciated. As a side note, it would be worth mentioning that POS Advantage and Annual Licence customers receive free support. As POS now is mainly an annual licence product, customer have access to phone support without having to call the 1902 paid like ($4.90/min).
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I've checked with our tech's they advised the same as regarding font size - it's fixed.

I'll pass this onto our POS development team as a feature request. 

?**Changed Conversation Type has been to Idea**
  • Chris McGregor
    Chris McGregor Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2015

Hi Rik,

Andrew is correct in what he has said about cable signal degradation and reducing signal speed to help circumvent this.

If those suggestions don't work I can only think of two workarounds to extend the range between Reckon Point of Sale(POS) and a kitchen printer. 

1) Purchase a network receipt printer such as the Epson TM-U220(Ethernet) as this will plug into your network device(hub/router) the same way your computer does and is a more stable method for transferring data over longer distances. although Reckon do not have any information on how to set this up, below is a youtube video on how to setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SwgB2zF10U

2) The 2nd option is more expensive but will achieve the same thing. Purchase a cheap 2nd computer to leave in the kitchen area and purchase a 2nd Point of Sale Terminal licence to install on that machine and connect the thermal printer with the working shorter cable. Once the terminal has been setup you will be able to go back to your original Terminal and select the new terminal as hosting the kitchen printer.

This effectively makes it a network printer however will obviously incur an extra Point of Sale licence fee each year which is why the network printer option may be better.

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited January 2015
    The Senor kitchen printer output is useless.  The print and line spacing is too small to enable easy reading by kitchen staff.  The Epson I have for the receipt printer gives a much more reasonable print size. Why supply a model of printer without reasonable capabilities?
  • Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited January 2015
    I'm very grateful for Andrew's suggestion for overcoming the distance problem.  In the short term I will try a better quality cable and later will run a permanent cable.  If I change to another brand of printer (say Epson) and use the USB/COM port (as I do now) will I be able to  increase the font size?
  • Chris McGregor
    Chris McGregor Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2015

Hi Rik,

I have done a test using the Senor GTP-290B3 Thermal Receipt Printer using the Reckon Retail Point of Sale software and although I agree that it would be better if given the option within the software to change font size and spacing for the printer, the printer its self I believe is quite good with it's ability to have a logo and fast print speeds.

Below is an example I've printed for anyone reading this thread in the future to make their own decisions before taking the opinion of either of us without an example.

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited January 2015
    Just as update - I have just put a better quality 5m USB cable and the printer works without error.  The print size will be acceptable though the kitchen staff still complain.  I do think it is more important to have the option of a larger print size than it is to be able to print a logo - especially in the kitchen.  Thanks to all for your input.
  • Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited July 2015
    The Senor printer was supplied as part of the POS kit so, hopefully, it is supported (it was suggested by Andrew that only the network version is).
    I'm now having another problem where it occasionally doesn't print to the kitchen printer - it then locks up on the next transaction with the message "Action can't be completed because the other application is busy ..."  No other appliocation is running. Can't get out of it even with ctrl/alt/del.  Have to unplug the computer & reboot - wonderful in busy periods.
  • Rik Dillon_7332388
    edited July 2015
    No, nothing new.  Today it crashed during a quiet period and I was able to poke around a bit. The kitchen printer is on COM6 (converted USB port). It appears, however, the problem is COM1 as POS couldn't find this port. This is where the counter receipt printer is.  Investigations continuing .....