Leave has been accruing incorrectly!

Georgie_8281276
Georgie_8281276 Member Posts: 18
I have only just realised that there is a box to tick to prevent leave (both personal and annual) from accruing on overtime, and so most of my employees now have inflated leave balances.

How can I correct this?

Comments

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

This is the main reason why I have a spreadsheet as a control for leave. It is too easy for any accounting package by inputting the wrong data or ticking the wrong box and then getting your leave balances totally out of whack and very difficult to recreate.

If you like I can email you my leave spreadsheet (includes holiday, sick & TIL) just email me on charley@vanrotterdam.com.au

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I couldn't agree with you more Charles.  I have done the same thing for years.  There are those things in Reckon, where only two decimal points can be used, which by themselves will throw things out of whack.  This is apart from those instances where despite what I might input, Reckon decides to arbitrarily change my input for absolutely no good reason.  There is no way that I will rely on the program's calculations.  I suspect that we might be in the minority though.
    John L G
  • Georgie_8281276
    edited March 2017
    Good advice, but too late for me I'm afraid! I'm currently making a spreadsheet to see how bad the damage is... but I guess there's some way in Reckon of manually overwriting the leave owing once I've worked it out? Then I'll have to write them a letter explaining why all their payslips have been wrong all this time....
  • Charley
    edited January 2020
    Georgie; yes you can override the leave by going into the employee settings and just inputting the correct amount into the leave accrued at date box
  • Georgie_8281276
    edited March 2017
    Now as I go through each pay record, sometimes it tells me it's detecting a change in the leave accrued, and therefore adjusting it, and sometimes it isn't! I don't have much hope now of knowing what the employees' last payslip told them. Aaah Reckon, you are not my friend today!
  • Charley
    edited January 2020
    Actually the last payslip may remain the same as accruals will only work going forward. I'd print out all your payslips before you edit
  • Sylvia Johnston
    Sylvia Johnston Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Everyone. I enter the correct pro rata amount for leave accrual for both personal and holiday leave, then reckon changes what I enter to something completely different! So I enter 0.03846 for personal leave and it changes it to 0.022 or something similar. Same for annual leave. If I leave it like this the leave accrued will short calculate and get me in trouble. Anyone have any ideas how to stop it changing what I enter? Really don't want to use a spreadsheet!
  • Charley
    edited July 2017

Sylvia it is correct the 0.03846 is the decimal and the 0.022 is in minutes, you can change that in preferences under General>Company preferences.

I always use a spreadsheet as a control because if you get something wrong in Reckon and your accruals go haywire then it is extremely hard to recreate. If you want I can email it to you my email is charley@vanrotterdam.com.au

• Sylvia Johnston
    Sylvia Johnston Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Charley you are a legend! Thank you so much and a copy of your spreadsheet if you're happy to share would be much appreciated. I feel Reckon lacks in that area especially if we ever need to re enter an employee pay. Many thanks again
    Sylvia

• Charley
    edited July 2017
    Kevin, I know that, how do you think I built the spreadsheet. It just makes it easier for those that don't think of it.
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2017
    I am with you Charles on using a spread sheet.  Over the years I have seen enough little things that can throw Reckon accruals out, and this is apart from the fact that there are instances where I input an accrual rate using a decimal figure and it decides to change it to something else for no known reason.  This annoying trait, whilst not making much of a difference, does make a difference.  There is absolutely no way that I will ever rely on the accruals that Reckon calculates.  At least on my spreadsheet I can also record the actual days of leave which again is something that the program cannot do.. My pay slips have a qualification on them which says that "these Accruals are an approximate guide only, due to rounding issues with the Payroll Program".
    John L G
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2017
    Kevin.,  It is not the basic math which is the issue.  The problems are with the accrual factors such as:
    1.  In some cases only two decimal points are accepted - should be consistent in having five always.
    2.  In other cases I can input a 5 decimal point accrual but Reckon refuses to accept it and instead changes it to something else which I cannot alter.  That is not basic math stuff, but basic flaw stuff in the program.
    3.  Every inconsistency such as these, ends up skewing the result.
    John L G