Local PC backup issue

Hotice
Hotice Member Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
When I want to backup my company file on my local computer, there will be a notice say my company file will be stored on a drive in a remote computer. Though I can still backup it only on my local computer, and not to be stored on that remote computer. So what should I do to solve this issue?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited March 2018
    Hi Hotice,

Can I just clarify is you're using Reckon One? (I notice that the thread is marked as Reckon One).

The reason I ask is because there is no local backup function with Reckon One as its a full cloud solution.

Also, can you let us know the process you're following when you encounter that message?

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Hotice
    edited March 2018
    Hi Rav,
    Thanks for your reply.Sorry for the confusing, I've just use this community first time so I don't set the version clearly.

My version is Reckon Account Premier. And the process is File-Save Copy or Backup-Backup Copy-Local Backup-Save Right now, after I click 'OK' button, the message "The company file 'XX' is stored on a drive in a remote computer" and when I click OK, I can backup it on my local computer. My target is only back up it on my local computer without storing the company file on that remote computer. In other words, I don't want my company file to be stored on that computer.What should I do to resolve this issue?  
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for getting back to me Hotice. Reading your reply above, I assume that you have a remote login setup to access your Reckon Accounts Premier remotely which is located somewhere else, is that correct?

Or are you using a mapped drive configuration?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Hotice
    edited March 2018
    I'm not sure because I've just taken over this from another guy and he is not working here now. So is there anything I can do to check which one is the remote computer or just remove the authority of that computer to let the company file just being backup on my local computer? 
  • Hotice
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reckon Account Premier backup question. I am a Reckon Account Premier: Manufacturing and Wholesale edition, 2016 users. I leave a period of time and when I come back and try to backup my company file on my local computer, there is a message showing "my company file is stored on a drive of a remote computer". As I asked my boss and know someone reinstall it when I leave, I want to check which is the remote computer and move my computer file to my local computer, which means I just want to backup my company file only on my local computer. What should I do? Anyone can help me solve this problem? 
  • Rav
    edited March 2018
    Hotice,
    Do you use one PC or more than one? 

Secondly, are your office PC's networked?

Thirdly, what is the location of your data file? (Press Ctrl+1 when inside the company file > File information)

When you encounter this message, does it allow you to acknowledge it and proceed any further?

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited March 2018
    Hotice

I think some clarification is needed.   Excuse me if I've misunderstood your question, but here goes.....

Whilst you have PREMIER,  you are able to run multiple USERS (on different computers)   playing with the one central DATA file. 

You are trying to BACKUP that one central DATA file (which will be a xxxxxx.QBW file).
    When you BACKUP with the PREMIER program,  it will make a backup copy called xxxx.QBB

Now a couple of things to understand.
    1.  The QBW (main live DATA file) will be sitting on what is called the 'host'  (or SERVER) computer.
    2.  Someone can sit at that 'host' computer and use the DATA file.
    3.  Other users, on other PC's can also login from their other local PC's  and log into the same central (hosted access)  DATA file.
    4.  The concept of what is remote or local,  really depends upon where you are sitting at the time (ie: what computer you are on).
    5.  More relevent,  is where the DATA file is actually sitting,  because it might be on even some OTHER computer like a Microsoft Server computer hidden away somewhere else in the building from all the above.

My point is,  you need to identify WHERE exactly the one central DATA file is sitting.  You can discover that by running Reckon from any computer that uses that DATA file,  and on any screen, whilst running Reckon,  type:  CTL + 1   at the same time,  and a window will appear that tells you WHERE the DATA file is,  on some computer on your network.

Now,  the idea,  for safety reasons,  is to try and have your backup QBB files sitting on a totally different computer or disk,  versus the location of the main live DATA file.  IE:  if you only had one QBB backup, and you created it right next to the live QBW  data file on the same disk on the same computer,  and somebody stole that computer,  or that disk had a physical crash,  then you'd have NOTHING.  

And so,  the message that pops up,  which I suspect is what you're trying to explain in your question,  is that the Reckon system is concerned that you are trying to make a BACKUP (QBB file) onto the same location.   It is wanting you to pick ANOTHER computer or another separate physical DISK to put the QBB file onto.

Usually,  BACKUPS are made when in SINGLE USER,  and from the main HOST computer,  and the objective is to read the QBW file and make a new QBB file somewhere else.

You can in fact ignore the warning, and make the QBB file anywhere you want,  but the safety point should still be considered.  Once the QBB file is made,  you can always use Windows Explorer to drag and drop yet another COPY of the QBB file you've created,  over to some OTHER external disk, or over the LAN (network) to some other shared disk/folder on some other computer.

IE:  Don't ever keep your precious business DATA on only one spinning piece of metal (hard drive).  And to protect yourself against fire or theft,  put such QBB files onto disks that are physically removed and taken off premises regularly.

The principle I'm explaining holds true for all DATA files (spreadsheets, databases, documents etc) should all be stored on different, and offsite locations

Cheers

Gary

Gary Pope

m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac
    “Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant”

• Hotice
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for your reply, Gary. I have check the path of the central DATA file, it is stored on a computer and I call it user-PC. The problem is when I want to backup that DATA file on user-PC, a window inform me that the company file is stored on a drive in a remote computer. So how this problem happen? I know I can ignore it by clicking OK then continue the backup process, but what else I can do to make this window disappear? 
  • gazza73
    edited March 2018
    But tell me something,  what is the name of the PC that you are sitting at,  when you do this backup.   I'm guessing you are on another PC,  and hence why the message is reminding you that the files being created at the time, by you,  are in fact on a distance (hence:   a remote PC versus where you are sitting.)   That's just a warning to let you know what's going on.

Gary
  • Mia Cranes
    Mia Cranes Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2018
    I am experiencing the same problem with Reckon Accounts Premier 2017.  We use multi-user and back up on the main "Primary" computer.  When backing up, I get the same message as Hotice but when I check where the file is located (CTL + 1) it shows the file as being located on the "Primary" computer - the one I am using to back up.  This message has just started showing up in the last month.  I have not changed anything in the back up process (I back up to a flash drive) and am currently just ignoring the message.
  • gazza73
    edited June 2018
    Mia. 

With respect, please......  and bear with me......    You too have not told us what computer you are sitting on, at the time that you want to run the backup.  In Hostice's case,  the main QBW master file was on 'user-pc' .  He did not tell us what MACHINE the backup was being made ONTO (as a QBB file),  NOR did he tell us what machine he was executing the procedure on, to achieve all this.

Mia, in your case, you've said the main QBW data file is on the "Primary" (per the CTL + 1) computer,  PLUS you state that you are using THAT "Primary" FILE (or did you mean that "Primary" computer ??)  to perform the backup ([from].....   BUT:  what machine are you personally sitting at,  to push the buttons for the BACKUP?  Are you also on the 'PRIMARY" host/server machine perhaps?     I'd just like that clarified,  because depending on the answers to those questions, will be the realisation of what is  being considered in terms of where the LOCATION of that flash drive is, (used for placing the output QBB backup copy).

IE:  It is possible to put the hosted FILE into single-user mode, and of course still have the QBW file siting in the one central "Primary perhaps" place,    but still access it from any number of OTHER PC's around the network to ask the BACKUP porocess to take place.    Help us understand your exact example,  and then some considerations can be made.

If by chance you ARE on the "Primary PC"  where the "Primary DATA QBW file" is located, and you are outputting the backup to a Flash drive that is ALSO on the "Primary PC"  then I'd agree, the message is confusing.    However,  many users in a multi-user environment,  setup some common-sense MAPPED device names,  such as drive "S:"   representing a server-like location for all PC's on the network to share a file.   In case a staff member wants to sit and use the actual "Primary" machine too,   some people (i'm one!)  do a sneaky MAPPING exercise on the "Primary" PC too,  making a mapped drive "S:"  even though the "Primary" PC has a physical drive,  say drive D:  tjhat could be used for that instance.     Long term, as staff swap about machines in emergencies,  it becomes confusing for people to have to remember that ALL PC's (except the server)  refer to S: drive, and the Server calls it D: drive.  Hence the sneaky  MAPPING for the server itself, so that the whole building get's used to the idea that the important DATA files are on this nicknamed drive:  "S:".

If you follow me on all the above,  you'll then realise why ,  when sitting specifically on the 'Primary" server itself as a user,  and  allowing WINDOWS realise you're using  a networked S: drive  (nbe-it-all on the one and same machine!!!) .... that it considers itas a NETWORK drive,  which by all intents and purposes is a 'remote device to the LOCAL physical devices on the machine that 'you are sitting on....' 

SOunds a bt smoke and mirrors, yes,  but it is based on what the operating system deems to be a local physical device versus another device (such as a mapped network device) - EVEN when its on the same machine, in the case of the "Server".

There is the possibility,  that thee SERVER (what you  call 'Primary"  used to open the QBW file from its local physical location as say D: drive\.....\       but is now accessing it as a MAPPED drive  (ie:  S:\.....\.....).

Ain't operating systems fun!    Anyway,  this might help other people in such a scenario,  but let's hear back from you, Mia about what you exact situation is in all this.

Gary
  • Mia Cranes
    Mia Cranes Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2018
    The computer I sit at while backing up is called "Primary".  It is also the computer that has the company file saved on it (on the C drive).  We back up to a different flash drive each day and these are named the day of the week they get used on.

I don't know if this helps as your comment above does not make much sense to me but as I'm in Accounting not IT.