Long service leave not accruing correctly for all employees

Katrina Clark
Katrina Clark Member Posts: 10
Hi 
We have just set up long service leave in our QB - we have Accounts Enterprise 2019.
I have just completed a pay run this morning and it appears as though only some employees are accruing the LSL. Please see below screenshots. Both employees have been set up in exactly the same way but only one is accruing the LSL - please help.

imageimage

Comments

• Graham Meredith_8157454
    Graham Meredith_8157454 Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2020
    The employee not accruing has in excess of 42:30 hours of LSL.

In your set up you have stated the maximum number of hours they can accrue is 42:30, therefore they will not accrue the leave once they hit this amount.

You will need to remove the maximum number of hours able to be accrued.
  • Katrina Clark
    edited September 2019
    That makes sense - thank you so much. Our accountant thought putting their standard weekly hours in there would ensure that time did not accrue on overtime hours.
    edited September 2019
    Hi Katrina

To prevent it accruing on a payroll item like overtime you have to set this up in the Payroll Item list on the specific payroll item, not in the employee account.
  • Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Katrina; you actually have to leave that cell totally blank; if you have 0.00 in there then it also won't accrue.
  • Katrina Clark
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for your assistance with this - may you please advise how to ensure time is not accrued on overtime hours?
    edited September 2019
    Go to Lists

Then Payroll Item Lists

Click on the Payroll Item you want to change being the overtime item

Click next to the last page and untick Include in Eevery hour Worked Leave Accruals and then it will not accrue in your leave accruals.

• Katrina Clark
    edited July 2020
    Fantastic! Thanks once again
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Just on another point, Katrina.  Your accrual rate appears to be only providing an accrual of around about half a week per year.  Is this what you intended?
    John L G
  • Katrina Clark
    edited September 2019
    Thanks John - this is based on our accountants advice of one minute accrual per hour worked.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Katrina.  I would strongly suggest that you seek clarification of that advice.  I don't know which state you might be in, but I thought that they were all pretty similar.  Generally speaking the entitlement is one week for every 60 weeks worked (this is where 1/60th comes from).  On that basis, an employee is entitled to approximately 0.86667 weeks per year.  Based on a 38 hour week, that equates to about 32.93 hours per year.  The accrual calculation you using of one minute per hour worked is not the same as one week per 60 weeks worked.  To work yours through we would get 38 (hours) x .01 (per hour) x 52 (weeks) = 19.76 hours which only represents about 0.52 weeks per year against the standard of .86667 weeks per year.
    John L G
  • Kathyd
    Kathyd Member Posts: 79

Hi

Im doing an audit on our Payroll and have found the following on employees (38hrs) based in NSW

Personal Leave is in at 3.00 per pay period ( fortnight) Under my calculation it should be 2.92

There is no Long Service Leave entered at all.

I have gone through all of the employees and changed the Personal Leave to 2.92 in their master file so it accrues correctly moving forward. When I now click on a past paycheque I get the following message.

In my mind I thought the Leave accrued at the 3.00 rate would remain ( as I do not wish to alter the figure on the employee paylsip- they should not be disadvantaged for the Payroll Office oversight). When the above message appears should I click on change or cancel?

Will this message appear each time I click on an employee past paycheque? Would appreciate this explained in layman terms please. many thanks