Manual Edit of Price History - Reckon Accounts Personal plus 2015

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have to manually update a few security values, which I do on a weekly basis.  I am using Personal Plus 2015 - licence valid to 2016.  This worked fine until this week, when I click on 'Edit Price History' basically the screen freezes at the Security Detail View (the Title Bar fades), and the only way I can get going again is to press Enter which then allows me to close the Security Detail View.  Is anybody else experiencing this?
Photo of Ken MacRae

Ken MacRae

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I manually update some prices more or less every day. Mine continues to work.

One explanation for yours would be that the Price History pop up window that you expect to see but are not seeing, is that it is in fact being created when you click Edit Price History, but that it is "underneath" another window. When the Price History pop up is present (and has focus, which it can even if underneath), Enter closes it, which matches your description.

If so, how to get the pop up window to the top? After clicking Edit Price History, try permutations and combinations of: Alt-Tab, minimize / maximize / restore various windows, Winkey-D [Show Desktop], start / stop other Applications, Sleep the PC, avoid mouse while getting to price history [from Security Detail View, Alt-U-P], clicking in many random places, auto-hide / reveal taskbar, Winkey repeatedly;;;; make sacrifices to the Windows / Microsoft Gods. Hopefully if you can get the Edit Price History pop up window to show using some means or other however ugly, then whatever is messing it up will reset in some way, so that it then operates properly next time.

Edit: added...
A more sure way to see if the pop up is underneath, is to move it using the keyboard.
1. Make the Security Detail window is small & off-centre [this might be enough !]
2. Click [or keyboard] to Edit Price History
3. Alt+Space Bar
4. Type "m"
5. Use keyboard arrow keys.
You can try / practice 3 thru 5 on any window beforehand to see what they do.
(Edited)
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I have been using this software for over 10 years so I do know how it works. It pops up the window and goes through the download, but wallah!!! nothing. My portfolio is the same as last update. Only positive is that it did not go down. Secondly, thanks for the procedure which I already know, BUT I pay for auto updates and therefore expect them. BUT things can go wrong. BUT when they do Reckon do NOT bother to advise its customers. VERY NAUGHTY.
Photo of ddg

ddg

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am also having this problem. None of the above unfreezes the Security Detail Window. Esc unfreezes it but then I still cannot do the manual update. Calling Reckon Support has not helped either. I would appreciate it if anyone has successfully found the cause. It is almost as if there a missing bit of software on my PC that Reckon uses to allow the pop-up to work.
(Edited)
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm having exactly the same issue and have tried all of the tips above :(
(Edited)
Photo of ddg

ddg

I am running on Vista with Norton Antivirus. I last did an update that worked on 7th June. When I next tried on the 21st June the problem first appeared. In the meantime all that was done was a Windows update and the normal AntiVirus checks as the computer was shut down for 10 days. So I am frustrated with it and the lack of support from Reckon.  However I have devised a workaround for the time being.
Either Buy or Sell Zero shares at the price you want to change. That updates the current price without changing the number of shares you have in your file.
Annoying but it may help you.
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

thanks for the update and the workaround - I did a full System Restore to a date in late May and yet still the issue persists!  Bizarre that a number of us experiencing the same issue - I'm also running Vista.
Photo of ddg

ddg

Maybe we can get some attention from Reckon without paying even more to the support people. So far I have wasted $100 for their support line trying to get an answer. Would it be too much to expect some proper support from the developer?  I even bought the 2015 version but that has not helped so I feel as though I have wasted a great deal of money on this for nothing. Reckon Customer Service does not even reply to emails.
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

I'm even further down the list as I'm still running Personal Plus 2007 which is no longer supported - that said its been working fine until this issue.  That said whatever the fix ends up being for 2015 (if ever there is one!) will be the same for 2007, as the nub of it is that not a lot changes each year - more lipstick on the pig rather than a total rewrite.

Agree that very disappointing that no support on this?  Possibly its a Vista issue and therefore they aren't bothering/don't care?
(Edited)
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It might help if all victims can give details of their windows version, and the date when they first encountered the problem, and any other factors they can think of that might be related. 

From my very far distance, this does not look at all like a data content issue, so restores, rebuilds, verifications and so on are unlikely to help. Rather it appears to be some interaction between RA and Windows.

Given that Esc "unfreezes" it, that means it is not really frozen - the program / windows is responding to and processing the Esc as expected for normal behaviour.

The key question is: what triggered this to start happening; as in: what changed & when.

Above a little suspicion is thrown onto a Windows update. Perhaps try uninstalling some recent windows updates, rebooting, just to see.

In any case, I'm still betting on the pop-up window being present, just not properly visible. Above it appears not the case that it is hidden - but perhaps it is totally off to one side of the monitor screen, or perhaps it is of a minuscule size lurking somewhere.  

Task Manager (Ctrl-Sh-Esc) or something like procexp.exe from www.sysinternals.com might help.

Perhaps the presence of the pop up window could be proven by using the keyboard, after clicking Edit Price History, to enter a new price: Alt-N; Tab (to accept the default date = Today); $$.cc new price; Enter (to OK); Esc (to exit Price History).

Or have someone else you trust help out by logging in remotely with say TeamViewer.
Photo of ddg

ddg

Just reinstalled 3058515 and Reckon still works so that wasn't the culprit.
Go to Control Panel, System & Maintenance, Windows Update to give you a list of available updates and choose ..515.
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

Hunting down the offending update is going to be painful! If anyone finds it sooner please shout!
Photo of ddg

ddg

Just to let you know - I reinstalled the 4 smaller updates that came with ...515. Got the Reckon problem back again. So am uninstalling these 1 by 1 till I find it. I'll get back to you -it takes a lot of time.
Photo of ddg

ddg

Just uninstalled 3057839 and Reckon works again.  So now I have to find out why.
Let me know if it fixes your problem.
Cheers.
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

DDG I will give it a go later today and will report back - fingers crossed :)
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

Agreed that it's more likely a Windows update that is interfering with Personal Plus and did a restore back to a point in late May last night but still the same issue.

I don't use 'Edit Price History' that often so tricky to pinpoint when it went wrong from, that said I would last have used it without an issue around two months ago.

There is a another post on the topic that suggests ways to fin the hidden pop-up box but sadly couldn't find it lurking anywhere!  I agree that it appears to be that the pop-up window is present and that it's just not properly visible.
G'day Reckonians one and all.....

Your detective work to isolate  Microsoft knowledge base topic:  KB3057839  prompted my IT mind to go search for any examples of similar behaviour and this article popped out, which may give you some comfort in knowing a common cause:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/kb3057839-stopped-quic...

Cheers!

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

DDG and Gary, great sleuthing and I can't wait to try this fix in the morning! Thank you :)
Photo of ddg

ddg

Gary, thankyou for this. It always helps to know that you are not alone when something like this happens. You have saved me a lot of time today trying to find the Microsoft comments.
I have never experienced anything like this before and initially thought I had some nasty malware. Or had done something accidentally to my system.
I wonder now who fixes the problem - something naughty in Reckon software? or just something nasty from Microsoft?  I'd like Reckon Help desk to know about this to save other users from wasting their money and time as well on proffered solutions that don't fix the problem.
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

Agreed, how does this fix get disseminated to other folk with the same issue?!
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

I have just just uninstalled KB3057839 on my Vista PC and I can confirm that my copy of 'Quicken Personal Plus 2007' is working again inasmuch as I can now get to the 'Edit Price History' popup page :)

Many thanks DDG & Gary (great work) and it will be interesting to see if anyone from Reckon picks up on this fix?

Now, how to stop KB3057839 sneaking back onto my PC in an future MS Updates!
Followup,  having seen other Community forum issues that could relate to this mischief....  (please, no MAC or UNIX comments here now.....  let's just get the focus on the cause of the issue....)

A Google search for   KB3057839    will let you see heaps of mischief being caused by this KB auto-fix,  not just for older Vista,  but for serious things like this one for Win7 users:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/373026-cut-copy-paste-not-working.html

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of ddg

ddg

Thanks Gary. I was shocked to see this mess. Who fixes the problem???
ddg

I'd really like to know if anybody has uninstalled that KB3057839 to confirm the solution.  OR:  If there is anybody out there, on Windows XXX,  that has Windows updates turned off, to miss that update,  and can confirm that the issue on this forum article is not present for them.

It seems that KB3057839 was addressing a security vulnerability,  so there is now a mexican standoff about the act that it has unexpected consequences for authors of other products running on such Windows XXX platforms (systems).

ddg - can you ring me, if in Australia.  TXT your number to 0408994799 and I'll happily call back at no charge.  (anytime 7 days a week or nights - no problem).   I'm more concerned that readers can't understand the impact of operating systems and 'environment' matters that impact other software and operations of computers.  The focus seems always to get stuck into the symptom, rather than address the underlying cause.     But I don't want to go chiselling down that path of discusssion,  if on this occasion, I'm barking up the wrong tree.  

The thing is,  I'm getting no feedback on whether this KB3057839  is present or not with the people having the concern raised in this article,  NOR any feedback from the other similar issue at next link,  where I've been seeking the same feedback.

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/no-share-prices?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_b...

Gary
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

Gary, as per my post yesterday, "I have just just uninstalled KB3057839 on my Vista PC and I can confirm that my copy of 'Quicken Personal Plus 2007' is working again inasmuch as I can now get to the 'Edit Price History' popup page :)".
SJ23

I'll copy this link and send it to Mirko as a suggested Reckon Knowledgebase topic.

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
See other forum article at:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/no-share-prices?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_b...

We've got a demonstration there of RPP 2015 working with downloading volumes and prices for last day of trading 10/7/2015,  provided the Microsoft KB3057839 patch is not present.

NOW the security challenge argument will begin.... What are the consequences of users running Win XXX without that vulnernability.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of SJ23

SJ23

And of course KB3057839 now trying to reinstall itself!

ddg and sj23

ddg has mentioned that Windows updates need to be adjusted to not be updated automatically,  to let you manually select (or not),  as well as  'hide'  the perpetual suggestions of updating.  This was outlined by fellow contributor which we'll identify.  (Right click on the update:  copy or HIDE updates).  In time being, make a mental note to never tick this mischievous KB until an improved replacement KB or solution is officially advised.

However out of discussions this morning
- KB30578398 appears to be cause of both the '(manual) edit price history'  or the 'online download update  prices' issue
- We'd expect Reckon PSG  to acknowledge a support note for this, and act on a suggested official course of action.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of Peter Dickson

Peter Dickson

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As noted in 2 other parallel fora (!!), the "online download update prices" is not resolved by reference to KB3057839.
Photo of ddg

ddg

Gary and I had a long discussion about this problem this morning and he is planning to escalate this to Reckon to help identify where the fix should come from. Thankyou Gary.
emailed PSG just now.

Gary
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Thank you my friends... good luck.
Photo of ddg

ddg

Gary, One last thought for today.
You did remind me that when we do not have KB3057839 installed then we still do not have the Microsoft Security issue protection.
ddg: 

Agreed, and I've published that salient point at the other forum article at:

where the KB article has been fully disclosed as:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3057839

Good point to bear in mind for sure.

Gary

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.