Multi-user log in issue

Jo_9196492
Jo_9196492 Member Posts: 17
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
This doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough to be very frustrating. We have multi-user on all the time and when somebody is already logged in under their name and a 2nd person logs in, Reckon boots the 1st user off and logs the 2nd person in straight away (under the 1st persons login) without asking for a user name and password. Please, please can you fix this so that we are asked for our log in details every time. Many thanks
PS - It has been happening constantly this morning!! 

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Jo.  I saw something like this happen yesterday when I was testing something, but under somewhat different circumstances.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it sounds a bit like two people are somehow using the same login.  This is what I suggest you do:
    1.  Have person 1 log onto Reckon, but do not open a company file.
    2.  Have a second person logon to Reckon and open your company file
    3.  Have person 1 log onto the Control Panel, then go to Log Off Remote Sessions and see what the user ID is that person 2 has logged on with.
    4.  Have person 1 log onto Reckon and open the company file.  If this person causes the logon of person 2 to crash, go back and log onto the Control Panel and follow Step 3 above to determine what user ID is now logged on.  If they are both the same, you know that both people are using the same ID.  If not, then there is another problem which would have to be followed through.
    John L G
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Further to John's suggestions... just to clarify from what you have said above... there is a difference between the Hosted login details and the datafile username and password... every user of a datafile should have their own username and password... but the business will only have as many Hosted login accounts as they decided to purchase - eg, however many they need for concurrent use of one or more datafiles....  so the 2nd person that wants to access a datafile at the same time as the 1st person, must use a second Hosted login account in order to choose whichever datafile and datafile username and password they wish to access that file with.  If the 2nd person uses the same Hosted login account as the first person - it will just close the first persons session and present the 2nd person with whatever screen the first person was accessing at the time.... this is because the Reckon Enterprise application is running on the Hosted server, it doesnt stop what its doing, its just a different browser that has now connected to that Hosted server and is presenting to the 2nd user where that server was at...hopefully this explains what is happening a bit better... I know it doesn't solve your immediate issue but hopefully the business does have additional Hosted login accounts they could be using - but they have just inadvertently used the same one as someone else in this instance.
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2019
    Very well explained and far more comprehensive than my response!, Linda.  John L G
  • Jo_9196492
    edited June 2019
    Thanks, I kind of understand but if we have it in multi-user mode should we not be prompted for a user name every time we log in. The company has just the one log in for the main screen but individual users to actually get into the cashbook bit. Most of time we are prompted for our user names, but sometimes we are just logged straight in under whoever was last logged in.
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2019
    Hi Jo - so think of it like this... your datafile is running on a server in the Hosted environment in Sydney... when you login from your location - you are just opening a window to looking at that server and your file... If you use login to that window when someone else is already in there - they get dropped off and you now see what they were looking at in that very instance.  However, normally - one of your users would finish their work, then select File - Exit and close their browser... which means when the next user logs in to that Hosted window using that one Hosted login account that you have - the file has already been closed on the Hosted server in Sydney and now needs to open again and you are presented with the screen for you to enter your unique user name and password for the Reckon datafile.. does that make more sense?  So, in other words, if you cut a user off when they haven't had a chance to log out - ie the file is still actually running on the server - you will always be taken to the screen they were at...
  • Jo_9196492
    edited June 2019
    Hi Linda, thank you for helping. Yes I understand but if we have the file running in multi-user mode more than one of us can be logged in the same company but different user name at the same time. We have it in multi-user mode all the time as I am in a different location to the main office and so we quite often are logging in etc at the same time. Are we not meant to be doing this?
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2019
    Thats right - its not meant to work like this... If you want to run in multi user mode and have two users logged in at the same time - you need to Hosted logins for this... I didn't even know it had been possible to do what you have been doing...I always explain this to my clients when they purchase Hosted and we together decide how many Hosted Logins they will need to have.    
  • Jo_9196492
    edited June 2019
    Oh! We have been doing it like that for about 7 months since I moved to another location! Do you know how much it costs to add a 2nd user then as it might be best we do that.
  • Karen Koks
    Karen Koks Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2020
    Jo, I have been experiencing exactly the same problem today!  Very frustrating as it has worked for me for the last 6 months without having 2 user logins.

• Jo_9196492
    edited June 2019
    Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol 
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2019
    Hi Karin.  It has always been the case that if you want multiple people to logon/work at the same time, you need to have as many licences as the number of simultaneous sessions.  As explained by Rav yesterday or Monday, during the maintenance on the weekend they found a problem with multiple sessions at the same time and fixed that.  That will be why you can no longer do what you were previously doing.
    John L G
  • Jo_9196492
    edited June 2019
    Ah, that's good to know, thanks John. How much more does it cost to add a 2nd user?
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2019
    It should be $670, Jo, being the  same price as your other licence.
    John L G
  • Jo_9196492
    edited June 2019
    OH WOW!! That's expensive!! Hmm might have to think on that one.
  • Karen Koks
    Karen Koks Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2019
    Thanks John - that would explain why Jo and I are only having this issue this week.  
  • Suzy
    Suzy Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2019
    Hi,  I had purchased a second license previously which left me frustrated as the 2 offices duplicated invoice numbers to a client which was painful and frustrating to reverse, not to mention pretty embarrassing to have to explain to a very important client!
    So, multi user mode doesn't work anymore with one company login? And can i be guaranteed of not duplicating invoices?
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2019
    It sounds a bit like maybe your sharing of the file isnt setup correctly?  Or do you not have Warn about duplicate invoice numbers selected in Edit - Preferences - Sales & Customers - Company preferences - Warn about duplicate tax invoice numbers.
  • Michael Spink
    Michael Spink Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2019
    We are experiencing the same problem, this thread has confirmed we need to purchase a 2nd Hosted login.  How do we go about purchasing the 2nd login?
    I rang the support line 3 times last week, and sat on hold for between 35 minutes & 55 minutes each time.
    I emailed online support last Friday, asking the same question, and as yet I have not received a reply or even an acknowledgement of my enquiry.
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2019
    Hi Michael - when you are in the first screen after logging into Hosted with your current user ID - you will see the black Control Panel button - you can click this - then go to Add User and purchase online... or if you feel like you would prefer some help with this - and sharing of the file with the 2nd Hosted user you purchase, then perhaps seek out an Accredited Partner near you by going to https://partnersearch.reckon.com/results/?fwp_country=australia&fwp_type_=reckon-accounts-hosted
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2019
    Great response, Linda.  In the past I have purchased licences through my own partners account.  Today I searched everywhere for a link to actually purchase a licence as a customer and went around in circles trying to find where to go.  Cheers
    John L G