My computer updated itself, and now Reckon 2013 will not start, how do I start the program again

Options
John Moriarty
John Moriarty Member Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
My computer updated itself, and now Reckon 2013 will not start, message tells me it appears to be a new machine (which it is not) how do I start the program again it is Reckon 2013

Comments

• Kevin V. Russell
    Kevin V. Russell Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Piece of cake. Use system restore to undo the changes.
  • ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2014
    Options
    and remember to turn off that update from happening again...

or.... 
    what version windows machine is it??? 7/8/8.1????
    do you know which update number it was that did the 'damage'?

is it just a permissions problem? are you signed in as the computers administrator? try right clicking the RA icon and selecting run as administrator.

many other reasons/fixes..... just need more information.

regards
    Angie Carlyle
    ABCarlyle@xtra.co.nz 
  • John Moriarty
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the suggestion, however the updates were from the manufacturer of the computer, so I would rather not go backwards, 
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Angie normally I am NOT a fan of turning off auto updates because of issues surrounding security. And people get lazy and forget to apply the updates. And of course there is always the roll back facility. I'm still not convinced the issue with Reckon is to with the Windows updates at all. It's never happened to me but I've only been using it for 16 years.

kevin@zappy.com.au +61407744914
  • John Moriarty
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks Angie, Computer is running win7 Pro (Lenovo) the update was from Lenovo, there were a few but I belive the major one was a BIOS which I suspect caused Reckon to now belive this is a new computer and I shd purchase a new License.
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh and John mate we are trying to get Reckon running again. I'm offering you a solution. What updates are these from the manufacturer anyway? If they are just drivers then it should not affect Reckon. If the manufacturer's updates are interfering with the software at least if you roll the system back you have the option of finding out what the offending update and selectively stopping it. As I stated to Angie this is an extremely rare occurrence. In fact, I have never heard of it happening form manufacturer updates.
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    John mate, if it was a bios update you should simply uninstall Reckon and reinstall it. You can activate the software again. You might need to ring the customer service number.
  • ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I am not keen to turn off auto updates either... but I do know of IT guys that will pick and choose which updates they will install... my suggestion was to ... (if the option to uninstall update/undo changes was taken) choose to be 'not reminded' to install the one update that caused the issue.
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh and John mate, I think you already "gone backwards" ;)
  • John Moriarty
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks Kevin, I have never had this happen before on updates, but for some reason Reckon believes this to be a new computer, I think your suggestion to call Customer service is the way to go, I suspect the easiest way out for them is to re-install, as long as my install key will still work.