Need help to recover from system crash

Paul Lloyd
Paul Lloyd Member Posts: 12
I'm recovering from a system crash, and have reinstalled Quicken Personal Plus 2012 from my installation disk and re-activated it. However, when I attempt to load the last data file I get the message:
"This file contains one or more accounts that require features not currently activated in this copy of Quicken (e.g. Investing, Business)..." The same message occurs when I access the last backup file I created. The Files>Restore Backup also does not work - it allows me to recover the last backup but I get the identical message when I try to open the file.
How might I get around this problem? I would be interested in upgrading to the 2015 version, but only if it can read this data file.

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Comments

• Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hey Paul, thanks for your post. This message only appears if the file has been upgraded to a higher or later version, and is being opened in a lower or earlier version. i.e. Personal Plus or Home & Business in Personal (which has been discontinued) or Home and Business in Personal, or 2013 file in 2012 etc. There is no other reason this would be happening.

Have you used anything newer than PP 2012? Potentially an upgrade to 2013 or Home and Business? Have you used any trials?
  • Paul Lloyd
    edited November 2015
    Mirko,

Thanks for your response.

No, I have definitely not used anything but the CD installed PP+ 2012 with any upgrades applied that have been made available for this version. It might be possible that one of those upgrades introduced a modification that was eventually implemented in PP 2013 - what do you think?

So, if I purchase a current 2015 version, am I likely to be able to read the data file? If you are not sure about this, if I pay for a 2015 licence and find that it can't read the file, then would it be possible to obtain from you a 2013 version to see if this would work? At the moment, ?I have a lot of data I can't reproduce sitting in a perfectly valid file.

I know what I will do in future: export the database as part of my regular backup regime.

Paul.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Would be worth a test. Download a PP 2015 30-day Free trial. Make a copy of your datafile (so you don't upgrade the actual one), and open it in 2015. Let me know how you go. 
  • Paul Lloyd
    edited January 2015
    Mirko,

That solved the problem. I'm able to read the data file (in fact, Reckon Personal Plus just found the latest data file and loaded it without drama).

I'll purchase a full licence and hopefully I will be able to work normally without further problems. I'll be instituting that export backup option, too, saving to external storage.

Thanks for your help,
    Paul.
  • Paul Lloyd
    edited January 2015
    Mirko,

I can't see on your Web site an explanation for:

Annual Licence
    Upgrade
    Full Version

Would you be able to point me to a place where each of these is defined, please?

Thanks,
    Paul.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Paul, 

AL - Yearly fee - allows for free upgrades for any new versions during your license period.
    Upgrade - outright purchase with discount for holding previous version (best to call 1800 RECKON to arrange)
    Full Version - outright purchase of software.

Full terms: http://www.reckon.com.au/aboutus/terms.aspx

• Paul Lloyd
    edited January 2015
    Thanks once again, Mirko.

I've arranged with your support people for an upgrade licence which I have installed and all seems to be working well.

Thank you for all your efforts and help. I think this problem is now solved so I wish you well in your future endeavours.

Paul.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Great to hear Paul, thanks for letting me know.