new server

Priscilla_Ognenis
Priscilla_Ognenis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Accounts Hosted
Since the server crashed on June 30 and Reckon moved to a new server July 1, each time I have logged on and entered my password, instead of my accounts home page coming up instantly, it goes to a "building report" box.  I have been waiting over 600 seconds (which equates to over 10 minutes) for my accounts home page to come up on the screen.  Is this going to be the NEW routine each time we log on?  If not, how do I stop this report build each time.  It is frustrating having to wait, I may as well leave my desk while I wait for this to happen.
I will let you know just how long I wait when it finishes. 13 minutes and still building....anyone else having same problem or got any ideas?

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2018
    There's a couple of aspects to your question from my understanding.    "Building a Report"  appearing when first logging on,  would indicate to me,  that you've set your preferences to open up a company file with a desire to always re-show the last set of reports and windows and screens that were running when you last logged off.   If by chance you've been recently running a really complex, long report for say, EOY or BAS or worse,  some multi-year audit listing for instance,  then the server will set about re-creating ll that report info on your screen again when you next log in.   

Check your EDIT -->  Preferences  setting that relate to how you want your WINDOWS within RECKON to appear, and so forth.   Similarly,  when you build any report, there is a neat trick of forcing the software to PAUSE allowing you to modify things like date range and filters,  BEFORE the server goes off to build a report.   

Say you have a memorised report to show LAST MONTH's P&L and you normally run it AFTER EOM.  What happens if you run that report early WITHIN the month.  You don't want to sit around drinking coffee whilst it shows you the MONTH BEFORE the one of interest on this odd-ball occasion.  Having a pause that let's you consider all the date ranges and filters before the big process of forming the report kicks off,  is great, and then if OK,  just one more CLICK to say OK,  it is after EOM,  so my memorised settings are OK, and off you go.

See if that is any part of your issue today,  but consider those other points anyway.  They have sure saved me heaps of time over many years with all manner of desktop and Hosted versions.

Cheers

Gary

• Priscilla_Ognenis
    edited July 2018
    Hi Gary, thanks for your answer, I just went into Edit > preferences, but not sure which section covers what you were suggesting.  I'd be very interested to change some settings in this regard.  I may have been doing a Bal sheet for my accountant before the servers crashed and now that all that has changed, this is what happens as soon as I have logged on.  It did actually finish just after I submitted my first post but waiting that long to open my accounts every time is not ideal.
  • gazza73
    edited July 2018
    Hi Priscilla  - long time not hear - all good I hope.....   to your question....

1.  Edit -->  Preferences -->  Reports and Graphs......
         Tick the top box that suggests:
        "Prompt me to modify report options before opening a report
         (So you get a chance to be spot on with your selection criteria)

2,  Edit -->  Preferences  -->  Desktop View.
         Select the Desktop setting called:
         "Don't save the desktop"
          (so that you start with a fresh empty set of jobs on your plate)

Cheers!

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac

“Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant”

• Priscilla_Ognenis
    edited July 2018
    I just went into preferences and ticked the box to prompt to modify reports.  Then in desktop view section, the box to open company with home page was already ticked.....not sure if these were the things you were suggesting in your reply.
  • Priscilla_Ognenis
    edited July 2018
    I will check the desktop view section again, I might have been talking about another box.  
  • Priscilla_Ognenis
    edited July 2018
    I currently have it as "save when closing company" should this be changed to what you suggest?  I assumed that meant saving your work when closing.
  • Deepak Gyawali
    Deepak Gyawali Reckon Staff Posts: 61 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2018
    Hi priscilla,

with your problems, please exit the file and open it again, on the point, it asks you for password, before you click ok to the password, press alt key and keep it pressed till you see the home screen. Hope that should resolve your issue.

Thanks
    Deepak
  • gazza73
    edited July 2018
    Priscilla.    That 'save'  statement you just asked about is related to the windows inside of Reckon left open at the time,  and is not related to the saving of actual critical business transactions.  Try  Deepak's idea of the ALT key process first to get over your immediate hurdle.  If that works,  then at least CLOSE all the reports and windows running in the session before exiting.   Then login and make sure all's well, normally.       Then you could consider my current suggestion.

Cheers

Gary
  • Priscilla_Ognenis
    edited July 2018
    Hi Deepak, unfortunately this didn't do anything, but I did notice as I pressed the exit button to leave the accounts it came up with a report (didn't take much notice of which one it was) and it asked me if I wanted to save the memorized report.  Said no and it exited as usual.  When I logged back in I tried your suggestion above and nothing came up, so I pressed OK and after the tax update window loaded so did my accounts homepage.  Thanks guys for your suggestions.  I now want to update to the new version if this problem is solved.
  • Priscilla_Ognenis
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Gary, I have both your suggestions ticked now so will see what happens next time.  I tried the ALT key but nothing happened, this could have been because I did find a report that was asking me to memorize as I was exiting the accounts, I believe since I got out of that, it may have fixed the problem fingers crossed.  Thanks for your help as always.  

Cheers, Priscilla