Not the original computer message after upgrade to Personal Plus 2016

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I have just upgraded to Personal Plus 2016 from 2015 and despite this being the same PC that I have been using for years, am getting the message 'This does not appear to be the original computer'.  As this is my most used program, I would appreciate a quick response as I am now unable to access PP.
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

• 1,342 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ross Aitken

Ross Aitken

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I had the same issue after renewing my annual licence and downloading and installing the latest version a couple of weeks ago. Was not 2016 though. Had to tick the box on the icon to run as an administrator to solve the problem. Now get one extra security screen to tick to run program but it does run.
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I had to do this with PP2015 from the day I installed it!  Very annoying. (and, contrary to comment below -- there was no change to UAC and I always used the same user account)
(Edited)
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

Thanks for the quick reply, Ross.  Tried running as administrator but then got a message saying that my program files were damaged and needed to re-install.  I tried the repair option but with no luck.  Re-installing just goes full circle.  Every year when I upgrade, I always run into problems.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,470 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Carl and Ross,

You'll get this message on a new install if User Access Control was turned on when you installed Reckon Accounts Personal and is now turned off.  Or, a different user with lower permissions is trying to launch the software.

Take action accordingly, to turn on UAC or give other users higher permissions.  

Full guide is available here.

regards,
John
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and have done as you suggested but the problem is more than my original post as when I try to open PP 2016 I get the message that my program files are damaged and need to re-install (as per my second post in this thread).  I re-install and just go round in circles as I get the same 'program files are damaged message'.  In the installation file there are several set up files and I am using the Reckon Accounts 2016 in HAB/Disk1, is this correct?  I am using Windows 10 64 bit.
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

Problem solved!  The installation files have several set up links but I found that only HAB/DISK1/setup works if upgrading from a previous version NOT Reckon Accounts 2016.  After deleting PP 2016 and re-installing using the set up link, it worked fine and no more saying it wasn't the original computer.  Now I have another problem but think I need to start a new thread.  Thanks for the help.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I just selected YES to fix the problem now. It took me to a registration window. I selected Automatic Registration from the 3 choices. It self registered and all's now good. I knew what to do because I had recently installed a new HDD which it did not recognise. Hope this helps. I use Windows 10 without problems.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.