NT (no tax) tax code

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I needed to create a tax code that wasn't going to be tracked on the BAS so I created NT (for No Tax). I found leaving the tax code blank problematic.

When I generate the report TAX > TAX SUMMARY, I now get a column with all the NT figures listed. Is there a way to generate the TAX SUMMARY report and leave the figures for this tax code out?
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 49,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yup you can modify the reporr using the filters. Where it says tax codes and ALL select codes you need to see reported
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

Thanks. I've gone and modified all tax codes and unchecked NT and everything works! Many thanks.
Photo of Kevin Russell

And thank you Jay for your question
Photo of Adrian

Adrian

• 3,630 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
You need to be careful when using filters on this report. When filtering out tax codes it has a side effect that it ignores any journal entries that have been entered using any other code.

So the report shows incorrect figures.

Adrian
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

Ok - so how do you get around that? I did notice that the figures seemed out by about $10 and wondered if the journal entries had impacted the reporting in some way. Is this something the developers are working on? How do I get accurate reports then if the calculations are incorrect?
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 49,810 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What reports would be affected by journal entries? You only use journals for non cash entries, don't you? 
Photo of Adrian

Adrian

Who knows if it will be fixed in Reckon. There are other things that they have changed that stop other functions from working and have not corrected them either.

You only have two options.
Don't filter the report or do not enter in any transactions that have to do with GST in a journal.

Adrian
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

Which then means I can't create a special tax code to have the online banking function work. I've gone and removed all the special tax codes I created as I use journal entries a lot and I need my reports to be accurate. *cry
Photo of Kevin Russell

Jay what are you trying to do? Why would tax codes be relevant to reporting at all?
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

I use ONLINE BANKING TRANSACTION RULES to automatically process regular deposits that I receive. These are recorded by RECKON automatically using a journal entry. When I create a tax report for my GST/BAS, the report is incorrect. I've adjusted my processes so everything now works and is correct. I do find it frustrating that there are such bugs in the software.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Jay why are you using journal entries and not sales receipts?
Photo of Adrian

Adrian

Jay has no option when using Bank rules. Reckon only enters income is an journals, and not as sales receipts. This is something that should be fixed.

Adrian
Photo of Kevin Russell

Or he could enter them manually and just match the transaction. 
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

I bought the software to avoid all the manual data entry - so I'm going to bang RECKON HOSTED with a hammer until it works for me (not against me).
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

I have some regular deposits that come through for my business. They are all different amounts and are not paid on invoices (they are commission bonuses and the company email me an invoice after payment). Rather than inputting them all manually, I've been using the ONLINE BANKING function to automate the process when I download transactions from the bank. This part of the RECKON software processes such payments as journal entries. The convenience of the ONLINE BANKING function and the automatic entries of data into RECKON is one of the key features that attracted me to the software.