ODBC setup in Account Premier 2014

Options
craig_6828989
craig_6828989 Member Posts: 10
edited September 2018 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Ok, so now that I've confirmed that there is meant to be the free version of ODBC in the latest version of premier, seems I need help getting it to work.

I can go to File->Utilities->Set up ODBC
Download the file and install it fine.
I do not have a File->Utilities->Configure ODBC option as the help says I should.

I can manually open the QODBC setup screen, but testing the connection won't work as I installed the evaluation earlier this year and it still seems to think that the evaluation period has expired.

Is my problem caused by the fact I have previously installed the evaluation version, or is something else going on.

Thanks

Comments

• craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Can anyone explain why this doesn't work?  I have installed the ODBC on a second machine, and looks like it's just installed the evaluation version (though whether it will stop working I can't say for 30 days).
  • Suresh Rana
    Suresh Rana Alumni Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for using Reckon Community.

QODBC needs to be setup manually through QODBC setup screen. Please refer to link for connecting QODBC Driver for first time.

http://support.flexquarters.com/esupport/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2512

Hope this will help you.

Regards
    Suresh Ran a

• craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks, but I can connect to the ODBC fine, when it runs.  The problem is that in the new features for 2014 Reckon have stated
    "In Reckon Accounts 2014, the ODBC driver is provided for Reckon Accounts Pro and above and is installed automatically."

But from what I can see the only way it is provided is there is a link to download the program.  It still has to be purchased separately.
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey,

ODBC is an additional third party product. It is complimentary with Pro and above, and can be installed from the install file (ODBC is available on all versions of RA2014, but only Free with Pro and above). It, like all other third party add on's are not available within the trial version. Sorry for the confusion, and I hope this clears things up.

Thanks,
    Mirko
  • craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have premiere, the ODBC is installing as the trial version
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Craig,

Please see this article http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4945, which provides link to download the file and explains things in a little more detail.

QODBC free trial, which you have downloaded is for the full version. The version provided through Reckon Accounts is a one way version, which allows for sending data out. (the link above will provide with information on downloading the Free version of QODBC)

You can trial the 2-way-communication version if you wish.

Cheers.

• craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ok, so any machine the I newly install the ODBC it will still report as having the 30 day evaluation period. 

However, on the system on which I have previously used the ODBC evaluation, the ODBC still reports that the evaluation is expired and locks out all access.  I've downloaded, uninstalled & reinstalled it several times, it makes no difference.  It is locked out (by whatever method FLEXquarters have used) and isn't unlocking to give me the free read only access.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Are you able to extracts data from your company file?
  • craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If I run the VB demo, I get the following image.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Craig,

That looks like the error for the full version. Have you downloaded the version that is present in the link I provided above?
    Uninstall your current QODBC driver and install the one provided in Step 2 of the link ( http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4945 )

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,
    Mirko
  • craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Done that several times over.  The latest was yesterday when you gave me the link
  • craig_6828989
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So I've gone through the uninstall/reinstall again.  This time using the custom uninstall and manually selecting to remove everything, reset the computer, then installed from the above link and got the same error.

Is this something I should be taking up with Flexquarters to try to get it to work/remove their lock?
  • cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi, QODBC , i have had experiences , for few years, nothing much good. they have a office in Melbourne the guys name is TOM , this Flexquarters company.
    We are developers have created few add ons using QODBC, but eventually gave up, as its too slow and can problems like you have now. We use xml programming now, the way to go. if you need to discuss further please call me on 0407068942.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

• John Brennan
    John Brennan Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2015
    Options

How are you getting on with this problem? Have you tried Flexquarters?

The deafening silence from Reckon is not a very encouraging sign.

I am in the same boat having installed a trial version a year ago.

I installed a slightly older version that came with the downloaded Reckon version

I get a slightly different popup:

But the end result is the same

Rather frustrating because I would like to get on and use this feature.

John

• craig_6828989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm jumping through hoops at the moment with Flexquarter (as you pointed out John, there was no help here).  Hopefully I will get somewhere with Flexquarter.
  • cosmic
    edited September 2018
    Options
    did you speak to Tom Azlec , i think of Flexquarters ion Melbourne?and it also say the license has expired, what version of quickbooks you using, i think Read only work with Enterprise version.
    please let us know what are you trying to do, you might as well, go to different using sdk , like i said earlier.

Cosmic Accounting Group

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Craig,

Suresh and I been chasing this one up for you with Flexquarters. What we have been advised is that so long as you are only performing One-way (Read) functions you should not receive any errors (and if they do pop up there should just be an ok button so you can ignore). Please try to run a read only function and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Mirko
  • cosmic
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hello Craig and Suresh Rana, to what i remember, QODBC driver works read only with QBE, for Premier i think you need to buy it. i had these problems lot with QODBC, and did not get much satisfactory answers from them and taLking to TOM, in Melbourne.. i maybe wrong , i had this bad experince few years ago, since then stopped using it.

Cosmic Accounting Group

• John Brennan
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Hi Mirco,
    It is good to hear that you have been following up on this issue.
    I only want to run read-only, but anything I try, be it testing the connection, VBDemo or link or import into Access runs into the same brick wall "QODBC is not licensed for this Quickbooks edition" as per the above screen shot.
    I don't know what else I can do.
    John
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi John,

I'm seeking further clarification from our product managers on this issue.  When I get further information will update you.

regards,
    John
  • John Brennan
    edited June 2014
    Options
    John

Its been over a month since you posted the above. Are you any further ahead with this?

Regards

John
  • bradwww
    bradwww Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hello

My company is FLEXquarters.com and we supply the QODBC Driver for Reckon Accounts and i can provide some clarification.

QODBC Driver has only one edition and you should always be using the latest version, which as of this writing is 14.00.00.302. Latest versions can always be obtained at QODBC.com.

Whenever you install the QODBC Driver on any platform it will run as a 30 day evaluation mode with all features turned on. After the 30 day period it will revert to the normal license you are qualified for based on the program you are using.

We have had no support queries on our support board related to the issues you have described above, so apparently the message is not going to the right place. Our support board is at support.qodbc.com - feel free to use it.

To clarify the correct operation - QODBC Driver for Reckon will work in Read-Only mode for Reckon Accounts Pro, Premier and Enterprise as of the 2004 edition with no registration required.

If you have installed other versions of Reckon on the same machine, sometimes this can confuse the license system.

Please raise a ticket at our support board if you have any queries regarding the operation of QODBC with the data in Reckon Accounts and we will handle the issue promptly and get it resolved.

thanks guys!

brad
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying this one Brad!
  • bradwww
    bradwww Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    Options
    hi

so far there have been no reports of this issue on our support board, is anyone still having trouble using QODBC bundle edition with Reckon Accounts? thanks!

brad
    qodbc.com
  • John Brennan
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi Brad,

I am still in the QODBC support queue, slowed a little by the hours of operation of your support people who are orientated more towards Asia and thus are not available during normal business hours in New Zealand.

While the exact cause of the problem has yet to be identified, I think I can make the observation that the feedback from the QODBC program led me down a blind alley.

The screen shots that I posted above suggest that the problem only lies with the license. However at the time of lodging a support request, I was pointed to the Messages tab in the QODBC Setup program. These messages suggested very different reasons for the Reckon/QODBC connection not succeeding.

John

• Sara Kennedy
    Sara Kennedy Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Chandra,

I rang QB and they said to find you here in the community support section.  I need help with finding a solution to my reporting needs for Management purposes to the board and also ad hoc ones for analyses.

At my old work, they used TM1 more than 10 years ago for slicing data and dicing the database for reports to suit the organization.  Are there cheaper options available these days?

In your opinion, if not QODBC, what are m options?

Sara

• cosmic
    edited December 2016
    Options
    HI Sara, do you want to call me please, so this has been going for some time its 11 months ago, call me on 02 95411338 or 0407068942

Cosmic Accounting Group

• Jim Kloeg QuickBooks
    Jim Kloeg QuickBooks Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi John,

I just had a customer with a similar problem. What I found was that you had to remove the previous version of QODBC completely, with a program like Revo, that also clears the registry. If you then reinstall QODBC from the link that Mirco above provides, there is no problem and QODBC works just fine, without any expiry messages or login requests.

You may already have figured that out, but just for all those who still struggle with this issue, here it is. By the way, the QODBC version on the 2015 DVD is also faulty, so Mirco's link works also fine for the 2015 version of Reckon Accounts Pro or higher

Best regards

Jim
  • Rajendra Dewani_5592564
    Rajendra Dewani_5592564 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    Options
    HI,

When you install QODBC for the 1st time, it will start with evaluation version, after 30 days it will automatically turn to Read Only edition if you have QuickBooks Enterprise or Reckon installed.

Regards
    Rajendra Dewani
  • Rajendra Dewani_5592564
    Rajendra Dewani_5592564 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    Options
    HI,

I would suggest to download latest version of QODBC v15 or above and try again.

Regards
    Rajendra Dewani

• John Brennan
    edited May 2015
    Options
    QODBC have been very good at resolving any issues that I have since this post about a year ago