One Step Update Refuses to Work.

13»

Comments

• Hubrecht van Dalsen
    Hubrecht van Dalsen Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2016
    Ps. Checked the codes. Not corrupted. I mainly use USD, CAD, GBP, ZAR - all correct.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Has anyone looked to see if the url for the FX download has been blacklisted on the pc by either win10 firewall or local anti-imalware applications, OR can PSG confirm it is the same URL as for ASX downloads. If same, then ignore suggestion.
  • Hubrecht van Dalsen
    edited April 2016
    Thank you, worth a check please. Could you please point me to the place where I can view / change blacklisted urls on W10's firewall?

Firewall inbound rules pehaps? What should I look for?

Thanks.
  • Peter Dickson
    Peter Dickson Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hi Rav I have tried all the work arounds, including the download into the sample file, re-installation and checking all ticker symbols, and I am still getting neither the currency updates nor the share price updates. As I approach 5 months without this functionality, it is really becoming a problem, as the automated updates are my primary reason for choosing the PP product. Please let me know what Reckon is now suggesting to licensees who are not getting the full benefit of the product. Regards Peter
  • Hubrecht van Dalsen
    edited April 2016
    Rav

I second this. I only have the FX problem, but still, it is functionality that is not working, and I use this functionality daily.

I also wrote a note above with some questions and ideas above which I think does deserve an answer.

This issue is NOT SOLVED. My updates worked fine until a change was made on Reckon's end late in 2015. Since then, I paid $185 for an upgrade, re-installed, and tried everything that was suggested to no avail.

Let's please keep trying. I bet in the end it is something like a registry entry, or something like that.

H
  • Hubrecht van Dalsen
    edited April 2016
    Peter,

Unlike Reckon I refused to give up in solving my problem with downloading the FX rates. I have succeeded after trying a number of different things. If you are still following this I will give you the essence of what I did.

H
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Peter,

Just to recap,

When clicking on a One Step update your share prices and currency rates do not update.  
    If you go to Investing > Online activities > Update, the share prices work.  
    Currency rates are not updating.  

This problem is with PP2016 on Windows10; PP2016 on Windows7 has no problem.

Same results when working on a Sample file.  
    When security (Firewall, Antivirus, ipscanner, etc) is turned off the result is the same.
    All setups with shares are correct.
    Reinstalling has not changed the situation.

Where does this take us?

Firstly in general, there was an issue with currency updates from 17/11/2015 that was finally fixed about 4 weeks ago.  Users are successfully updating Currency Rates.

Share prices have been updating over this period.  

Next, its interesting that on Windows7 PC there is no issue, only with Windows10 PC.

We are not getting any widespread reporting of such an experience.  

Sometimes users get to the point where the One-Step Update icons go through the motions but do not update.  Choosing the Investing > Online Activities > Download Quotes works.  Currency Rates can be launched through Tools > Currency List > Update Rates.  We have not been able to identify why this happens but suspect it has something to do with local security settings.  Launching Personal with Run As Administrator (right-click icon > Properties > Compatibility > tick Run this program as an administrator) in most cases takes care of this issue.    

I hope this review offers something for you to try and get a successful result.  

The next steps are to test it on another PC and another file and see if the problem is replicated.  

Next would be to review the security settings on this PC and create yourself a new admin profile.  

Then, clean uninstall (with a 3rd party uninstaller) and reinstall the programme, in Selective StartUp mode, using the special installer ISsetup.exe located in the CD directory (or C:\Temp if you downloaded the software).  

regards,
    John

• Hubrecht van Dalsen
    edited April 2016
    In essence this is what it took to get my FX rates to update: (W10/PP16)

1. General precautions of safely storing data files, save copy of the registry, create restore point.

2. Uninstall with 3rd party.

3. Delete every folder with any reference to Reckon or Intuit or Quicken on my c drive, including any in program files, app data, anywhere, in total.

4. Search for all instances or the word 'reckon' in the registry, and delete every one blindly.

5. Reinstalled with selective startup.

Had nothing to do with firewalls, security etc as far as I could tell.

Do at your own risk, but this is what I had to do without help from Reckon.

H

The following was of some help:

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4333&_ga=1.83961311.796292310.1459767869

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4819
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Dear Hubrecht Many thanks for this. It is very kind of you to make time to provide me with this assistance. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near as computer literate as you appear to be. First, I do not have a third party uninstaller. Do you have a recommended or preferred application? Secondly I do not know how to access my registry. Is there a simple method of doing this? Once again, thank you for your assistance. Regards Peter
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Hi John Thank you for your assistance. First, just a minor matter of correction. Neither the currency or share price updates on the PC running Windows 10 have worked since November, either in my file or the sample file. I have, with one exception, taken all the steps set out in your post up until the final paragraph. Adjustment of the Firewall, admin profile and security settings had no effect. and I do not have access to another computer running Windows 10 on which to test the program. I do not have and have never used a third party uninstaller. Are you able to explain how I go about this and Reckon's preferred application? Regards Peter
  • Hubrecht van Dalsen
    edited April 2016
    Peter

If you are not familiar with registry tasks, I have to say that it is a bit risky for me to try to talk you through it. If registry changes go wrong on you it can be a bit of a mess. So if you do not know how to make a backup of your registry and work with restore points, etc, try this first:

1. Save your datafiles and backups in other folders elsewhere on your hard drive with further copies in a separate hard drive or usb stick.

2. download a 3rd party unistaller. I use iobit uninstaller. google.

3. Uninstall reckon with iobit. When the uninstaller ask you about a 'powerful scan' to get rid of remnants, do so.

4. Restart.

5. Open file explorer. View / options / change folder and search options / view
    Tick 'Show hidden files and folders'.
    Untick 'Hide protected operating system files'.
    (When you are done with all this, remember to reverse this.)

6. Now have a look at the two links I posted above, they are of some help. But I did this: delete any folder and all its subfolders that have the name reckon or intuit or quicken in them anywhere on your hard drive (usually C:\). (Be sure you did step 1!) This goes beyond what the links above tell you to do, but your re-install will replace all these folders and files.

I deleted the following folders and all subfolders (and maybe more, but these are the ones I could think of)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Accounts Personal
    C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Intuit

I think these were the key ones.

Remember to delete the whole folder and all subfolders, the lot.

7. Restart

8. Reinstall, point to Reckon to the place on your hard drive where you stored your data files, and send a little prayer to the goddess of computing.

Give that a go.

It would be good if you had a friend or someone who knows PCs around, but this is not too hard.

To be clear, I cannot really help you if things go wrong, so make sure you feel comfortable with doing this before you do so.

It may well be that I solved my problem with only the above steps. I actually do not think the problem was in my registry in the end.

Good luck.

H

• Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks again Hubrecht. I will give this a try later in the week. Regards Peter
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    John and Rav I have tried the work around suggested by you and Hubrecht, with no luck. PP2016 still simply says that it does not recognise the securities to be updated, notwithstanding that I have checked the ticker symbols. When I open the file copied from my other licence, none of the security values come across, just the gross value of the total portfolios. I used iobit uninstaller and cleared the registry. Any further suggestions? Regards Peter
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Peter.  

This saga has gone on 5 months since November, and there have been a series of solutions fixing many (of late, granted),  and a couple of others have come to a solution by gouging out effectively a fresh install of the product in isolation, as you've observed.  

But in all this time,  no direct interaction with your machine by qualified people has ever been attempted has it, as I see it.   I suggest that this is now down to the pointy end of the stick where your situation may now be complicated by the many other suggestions and tricks attempted.   Isn't it time to solicit some help from IT qualified technical people to access you directly to look at your situation professionally?  It's really looking like there is some SYSTEM ENVIRONMENT issue at stake here now, given all the steps you've done, and with a product that is now working fine for about 90% (guess) of other users that originally flagged this issue.   Give this article some thought on who you can engage next on this.....   Check for someone that is in your area with IT qualifications,and make contact with them or from someone who can remotely login to your system to peruse it in real time with you in control and watching.

The following is an extract from the AP Forum which we publish to assist end-users:

http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accredited-partners-enhance-business-solutions/

Just a thought,  because my summation at this point in time,  is that the re-installed product is known to be able to run on so many other users with the same platform (operating system/environment).... but there may be adjacent, impacting software like issues involved here.

Gary

• Hubrecht van Dalsen
    edited April 2016
    Well, call it tricks if you want to. In the absence of any useful help from Reckon for quite some time, something in the steps below fixed it - all thought out by some 'unqualified' hack - me.

1. General precautions of safely storing data files, save copy of the registry, create restore point.

2. Uninstall with 3rd party.

3. Delete every folder with any reference to Reckon or Intuit or Quicken on my c drive, including any in program files, app data, anywhere, in total.

4. Search for all instances or the word 'reckon' in the registry, and delete every one blindly.

5. Reinstalled with selective startup.

Had nothing to do with firewalls, security etc as far as I could tell.

Do at your own risk, but this is what I had to do without help from Reckon.

• Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Gary. I agree that it is looking more and more like an environmental problem. Unfortunately reality has an annoying habit of intruding... You can expect a call from me in the next few days. Regards Peter
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Hubrecht Thanks once again for your assistance. I followed your instructions and unfortunately did not get the desired result. However I did learn a lot about my registry and uninstallation of software so the time was not wasted and as far as I can tell I have not blown up my PC! I appreciate your kindness in assisting me. I am starting to agree with Gary above and I am suspicious that my update from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is the problem. Regards
  • John G
    edited December 2016
    Hi Peter,

Did you receive an email from me?

regards,
    John
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Hi John. I did receive your email and kind offer, thanks. I think I will have Windows checked first, as my file is fine on Windows 7. Regards
  • John G
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Peter,

I think we have covered all the bases in this thread so that leaves only the computer environment.  I was going to run it on my Windows 10 and just examine other aspects of setup to confirm that your datafile is error free and that it does work on another Windows 10 PC.

Good Luck.

regards,
    John.

• Margaret Kotcharian
    Margaret Kotcharian Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2016
    I am running PP 2016 on Windows 7 and the currency rates have not downloaded since 25 Nov 2015. Have never had a problem with share price downloads.
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Re:  Peter Dickson's issue herein.   (Win10 / PP2016)

After about 30 hours of site visit/remote sessions,  it looks like we've solved this onel.  for one user.  Win10,  PP2016  running AVG Professional Anti-Viirus,  but with a blocked entry in the AVG firewall ruleset for either inbound answers for the updates or the outbound request for the question to do so.   We've managed to control the update working and failing by triggering the AVG firewall aspect in isolation - but with two important points

a)  you must reboot the PC when chaning the AVG firewall enable/disable
    b)  this issue is SECONDARY to the same machine suffering from total outage from NOV to pre-Easter which was a separate external failure,  the details of whicjh, we're still seeking clarification from DEV/PSG team

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

TIP:

PS:  For anybody running AVG with the firewall feature of AVG activated in addition to the operating system firewall setting,s  AND where there appears to be a blockage to fetching updates (other than for reasons of the 25th May 2016 US Stock issue),  then consider this article for checking any blocking/blacklisting of IPs that Reckon needs for their DATA FEEDS:

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlName=How-to-allow-or-block-all-connection-...

This discussion has been closed.