Online Mac version saves every single invoice to actual computer filling up and slowing down mac any ideas

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Every single time you print or go to email with the online version mac it saves to your actual hard drive i have found literally hundreds of pdfs saved to my hard drive filling up my mac. Anyone else have this issue any solutions or suggestion would be really appreciated as sick of going through and deleting them. Surely they can have them save into your trash or something 
Photo of Fiona Ogilvie

Fiona Ogilvie

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Fiona

When you are about to print the invoice,  and the 'shaded' name of the printer and all the adjustment settings are available to mess with,  have a look at the OPTIONS button, and the TAB stop called:  Job Storage, and see if that is set to <NONE>.    I might be on the wrong track here, but remember the setting and change it to see if that is what is causing the MAC experience.  Sorry,  I have no MAC my end to test this under HOSTED.

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of ARC BookKeeping

ARC BookKeeping, Accredited Partner

• 6,344 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Just curious as I am not a mac user... why would the number of PDFs on the harddrive slow it down? surely any PDF is just another file (and a relatively small one at that).....

Just Curious????
Angie

An Aside for those technically curious..... 

There are some technical tricks to handling PDF files - particularly over internet links.  As a small compressed PDF file (Compressed and small),  the movement of such a file is, as you curiously say, small and inconsequential.    The only concern would be if they are filling a commonly used/accessed traversed folder - in many an operating system. 

But that aside,  the other aspect which really KILLS performance, is if any aspect of a PDF is exploded (ie: opened for viewing/editing/printing) at ONE end of a communications link,  whilst physical printing is needed at the OTHER end of a communication link. 

PDF files in their proprietary ADOBE structure (sure, viewable on free readers, but nonetheless, proprietary),  really explode to quite a large spooled bitmap-like size when going through a printing, editing (yes, some tools can edit what was meant to be a read-only format for the industry!!).     If that 'spooling'  takes place over a private comms link, like a VPN (ie: a branch to Head Office private WAN) or to a VPS (ie: private cloud at some data centre),  then performance issues will definitely occur, if that link is heavily shared/used, is small (ie: low kbps rates), or if cross-traffic traverses common routers over the WAN circuit between you, the client, and the Server at the Datacentre.

It remains today, in 2015, one of the performance/cost challenges of any organisation trying to enjoy a data centre based server, and dealing with PDF's.   Getting the PDF to physically get (as a compressed unopened file)  down to a local network (LAN) where the printing is going to take place,  is the objective in any such scenario.

Thus endeth another of Gary's IT lectures!    
(put it down as a trivia night discussion for fellow geeks!)

Cheers

Gary Pope
Photo of ARC BookKeeping

ARC BookKeeping, Accredited Partner

• 6,344 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks.... I think....lol ...a very lenghty answer .... I think I understand it though.
Angie:  such things need to be FULLY explained... I hate it when people only outline half the real story, because  then false hopes grow about the other half's capabilities...   it's a geek thing!   It's not meant to sound like rocket science,  but there is a lot going on under the hood!     That PDF issue is many year's in the challenge box, and  in all sorts of business areas, I can tell you.            Gaz
(Edited)
Fiona

If you're still concerned about the build up of PDFs,  consider an end of day cleanup APP (script, routine, procedure) that takes care of that sort of thing, perhaps.

I'm looking at a similar thing elsewhere that automates the printing of said PDF's for you, as well as a cleanup.  Food for thought!

Call or email per my forum profile if you are interested in pursuing discussion on this.

Gary Pope