Paying Bills direct from Reckon Accounts

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2018 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Can you pay bills direct from Reckon Accounts, without having to manually pay them through the online bank? Does BankData do this?

Comments

• Kevin V. Russell
    Kevin V. Russell Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2015
    No you can't and no it doesn't. Maybe next year. The technology does exist
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Allowing software to integrate with banking systems is a hard process to achieve. It would require the bank allowing the third party access into it's systems, which many Banks would not agree too, due to privacy and risk factors. It is a great idea and one I would be happy to pass onto project management, but like all third party integrations, it takes two to tango!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2014
    Thanks very. Very time consuming. Just trying to find a quicker way!
  • cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    how many suppliers  you may have to pay at one time,  we automate using .aba file , bulkessing tool. this iclient processes about 2000 suppliers.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

• Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    What?
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Jane

Maybe I'm the one who is misunderstanding  your question, but my answer would be yes. 

You can store your suppliers banking details in Reckon, then "pay bills" and create an ABA file (a file with transactions in a format the bank will recognise).  This can then be uploaded to the bank without having to rekey in the transactions.

If this is what you mean by your question, then yes.

Its a fairly simple process.  I am happy to show you how via a remote support session.  It would take an hour of your time but save you much more.

Graham Boast
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    www.reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited February 2016
    Hi Jane,
    I agree with Graham, my answer would be yes.

In Reckon...
    First... enable your bank account to go online by...edit your bank account < online tab< enter details as required 

Second...In Reckon set up your suppliers with their bank details.

Third... when paying bills in reckon choose payment method 'bank online'

fourth..in 'Online Banking' center preview and create aba file

fifth... up load this aba file to your bank.... each bank is different, and sometimes you have to set up bulk payments with your bank ... so follow your nose....

and you are done. 

you can pay one supplier or many many suppliers with the one aba file.

give it a try... it is all deleteable (until you click ok on the bank website)

cheers for now

Angie Carlyle
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Yeah Angie and Graham pretty sure you have misunderstood the question. To pay bills you still have to leave Reckon Accounts. You also need to create a file that you need to upload to your banking software. It works but it's not the most elegant solution which would be a direct connection with your bank within Accounts. This technology will be available next year.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2015

Thanks Angie and Graham. I was asking about not having to leave Reckon, but if it cant be done yet, it cant be done.

I will give your suggestion a try Angie, as its better then the way I have been doing it! And if I need further assistance, I will be in touch Graham.

Thank you all for your advise/help!

• ARC BookKeeping
    edited September 2014
    Hi Jane,

Last night thinking over my instructions I remembered here in NZ we have another step, (you might also need it in Aussie if this I am not sure maybe Graham could clearify..)
    we have to put the aba file through a little file converter program called RTL which changes the aba file into a format that our banks then can read.
    It is a free downloadable program (if you have a reckon disc it will be on that)

Feel free to contact me directly if you need help

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Thanks guys for your input! Love that Community feel when all sorts of personalities come together to discuss an issue. It takes all sorts! different people, who posses different thought processes look at things in different perspectives and this scenario is really a good point to this. Taking the different approach from Kevin and Myself (looking at the 'without having to manually pay them through the online bank' rigidly), Angie and Graham were able to provide a possible work around. So again I'd like to thank everyone for getting involved in this real Community effort!
  • ARC BookKeeping
    edited September 2014
    if we are giving out credit... you should really also mention... Chandra said it first....lol
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Certainly don't need it in Australia Angie. Do you know what an aba file is?
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Good call Angie! Chandra mentioned to me at the conference that he provides a third party tool that does some automation with ABA, if anyone wants more info on that Chandra is the man to seek out!
  • Kevin V. Russell
    edited June 2015
    Yeah Angie except that relies on a third party utility. Don't think original question mentioned add ons.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Being an ex-Bank employee I'm happy to go indepth with this one!

ABA (Australian Bankers Association) is the format that is accepted by APAC (Australian Payments Clearing Association) ?for communication with banking platforms.
  • Mia Cranes
    Mia Cranes Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2016

Hi Angie,

I am very interested in trying this too.  I can't find the "Online Banking" centre though.  I thought it might be under "Banking" but it's not.  I'm using Recon Accounts Premier 2014.

Thanks,

Cynthia