Paying superannuation for an earlier pay period

Therese
Therese Member Posts: 13
Hi. I've process three weekly pays in July through STP. I now want to pay superannuation for the July calendar month (superannuation was not included in the July uploads).  How do I record/process superannuation for July?  Do I manually calculate the super amount to be paid and how do I then get it into STP? Thank you, Therese

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    I suppose the obvious question to ask here is why wasn't super included when the pays were processed?   

You could calculate the super owing - then edit the last pay run for July - and type in the YTD box at the bottom for the super what the amount should be for the month for each employee - then do a replacement submission to STP for that pay? 

But that isnt a good solution going forward - super should be included in every pay run and therefore uploaded via STP each pay day?
  • glendaveale
    glendaveale Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Agree with what Linda has said  -   but just wondering are you asking about paying the super to the super fund?
  • Therese
    edited August 2019
    Thank you Linda and Glenda for your replies. I have one casual employee who I pay weekly. As she works variable hours, I don't know until the end of month whether she will have reached the 450 monthly threshhold and if she has, by how much.  Traditionally at the end of the month I have calculated how much super I owe her based on hours worked if she has reached the threshhold. I pay her super monthly.  I've starting using the STP process this financial year and now need to pay her the super that I owe from July as well as work out how Reckon will cope with the variable nature of her hours.  I've tried LInda's suggestion but when trying to edit the last pay run to type the super in, Reckon updates the YTD gross wages (must think that I am paying her again), and it won't let me add super only with zero earnings.  I appreciate that you are both busy running your own businesses, but if you could just point me in the direction of where to find solutions I'd be grateful. Thank you very much.
  • glendaveale
    glendaveale Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If you add super to her employee details, it will only calculate when she has passed the $450 threshold.  It will then calculate super for the whole month.  Re entering the super for July, you would unlock her last pay for July, add the super accrual amount and then save the payrun.  If you want to give me a call, I'm happy to try to help.  0418171384
  • Therese
    edited July 2020
    Thank you again. I didn't realise that there was a box to tick for the threshhold for the payroll item as well as the employee.  I've muddled through and managed to manually enter the super for July .  However,  the STP lodgement contains a YTD super figure for July as well as the superannuation calculated for wages paid for the first week of August (which happened to be over the threshhold).  So now mygov shows that I have paid super for July and part of August when I have only physically paid July's superannuation. Is this how it's meant to work? I pay wages every week but pay super at the end of the month.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Therese.  The SGC figure comes from your payroll lodgement, which is a reflection of the transactions for that pay period.  It only represents the liability that is due to the employee.  So whilst SGC is calculated per pay period, there is scope for the actual payment to be made less often.  Because of STP, the ATO will now have an ability to check with Super Funds to determine if the actual payments have been made to the employees account within the prescribed period of time.
    John L G
  • Therese
    edited August 2019
    Thanks very much to you all for your excellent assistance and advice.  Best wishes