Payroll to be paid to a loan account instead of a bank account

Sue S
Sue S Member Posts: 8
edited April 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi

Instead of being paid cash in the bank one of our directors would like his pay to go into a loan account to be paid back to him at later stage. 
Hoping someone would be able to help me with setting this up the easiest way.

Comments

• Leanne_6835203
    Leanne_6835203 Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2017
    Hi Sue,

You can set up a Director's Loan Account in the balance sheet with the type = Bank and process the pays as being paid from here.

Cheers
    Leanne
  • Sue S
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Leanne, thats how I was going to do it but wasn't sure. Then when they need to cash I can just do a direct debit out of our bank account and a general journal between the directors loan/bank to match?

• Leanne_6835203
    edited March 2017
    When they withdraw the cash you can enter a transfer between the accounts and note in the memo field what the transfer is for.

Or a general journal or a bank deposit .   
    :)

• Sue S
    edited November 2016
    Salaried director

• Leanne_6835203
    edited August 2019
    Hi Kevin,
    What tax would he be liable for?

• Sue S
    edited November 2016
    He goes through our normal pay run. It will just be his net pay after PAYG that he would normally receive in cash but is just delaying the actual cash until a later date.

• Nathan Elcoate
    Nathan Elcoate Accredited Partner Posts: 162 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited November 2016
    Yes just transfer to loan account as Sue S said above. Then use - Banking - Transfer Funds from loan to bank when he is taking the money out. You will need to seperate his pay from the rest of the staff though, as you can only select one bank account per pay run.
  • Sue S
    edited November 2016
    Perfect - thanks all for your most helpful and quick advice!

• Leanne_6835203
    edited November 2016
    The company could be liable to pay the director interest on the loan and this would increase his personal income tax liability as his personal income has increased.  Other than that I'm not sure what you mean by tax tax?
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    unless of course you are using a payroll clearing account, then all pays can be created at the same time to the payroll clearing account (not bank account). Then a jnl can be done from payroll clearing account to loan account, while the rest of the employees will have cheques from bank into payroll clearing. If std pays each week these chq's can be memorised, so can the jnl entry.

Payroll clearing accounts are always a good idea.
  • Linda Taylor_9230826
    Linda Taylor_9230826 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2017
    What happens if he wants it paid into a loan asset account? The balance is currently 0, so he wants to put his wage in this account and let it accumulate? Every time I transfer from the payroll clearing account it ends up in loan account as a negative figure.