Personal Plus 2016 File corruption

Peter Marshall
Peter Marshall Member Posts: 5
When reconciling one of my savings accounts I found it was out by $400. So I went back looking for missing or duplicated transactions. What I found was a payment of $1000 which only reduced the balance by $600. Ok some sort of file corruption, so I went to the file operations menu and validated the file. What I had then was a file of accounts that I hadn't used for a decade with rubbish balances. When I open one of the accounts the transactions are from a different account altogether. Is there a way to recover from this?  I discovered to my horror that I hadn't taken a backup for 2 weeks.

Comments

• Shane_6461899
    Shane_6461899 Reckon Staff Posts: 339 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Hi Peter,

The only thing I can think of is to make sure those old accounts are fully reconciled, create a year end copy to after the last transaction entered in these old accounts, and archive the old data, then open the new year file, go through these accounts and delete the opening balance.  They will then have no transactions in them at all and no balance that can affect anything else.  Make sure to backup before you try this.

Regards,
    Shane.