Personal Plus 2016: Report Excel export corrupted

Peter Sinclair_8078694
Peter Sinclair_8078694 Member Posts: 7
I have just upgraded to 2016 having used quicken for the last 7 years. Running a Banking Transaction report then using Export|Report to Excel compatible format sometimes results in a file with one row of headings then all the data records are in a single line - no CR or LF. This occurs inconsistently - on most occasions it is on re-using a previously saved report. It is not always reproducible. :-(

The corrupted report file loads Excel 2013 64 bit (v 15.0.4797.1003 - installed under Office 365 ProPlus subscription) in the Windows VM. I have also looked at the TXT file using Emacs under OS X to confirm the absence of line feeds after the first header row.

The Quicken data files are on the Mac extended filesystem on an encrypted LPAR on the internal flash drive. The Windows VM accesses them via VMware file sharing. Everything else within the Reckon software works fine.

Environment:
Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit in a Virtual Machine with 4 vCPU x 8 GB vRAM
VMware Fusion 8.1.0
Mac OS X 10.10.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB Memory

Comments

• Dan Fardon
    Dan Fardon Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2017

Hello Peter,

I have commented on this problem a couple of times before. It  seems that the temporary memory of the computer gets overloaded and has to be cleared.

My work-around is to simply exit all of my programs, and shut down the computer. Leave it for 5 minutes and walk around my garden, then come back and restart the computer.

I find that there are two benefits. 1. I can copy the Reckon report to the clipboard and paste it into Excel OK, and 2. My own brain is a bit clearer and sometimes a fresh shortcut has occurred to me.

It works.

Best wishes,

Dan Fardon

• Peter Sinclair_8078694
    edited February 2016
    Dan,

Many thanks for the rapid response. I had seen responses to similar problems but nothing quite the same. Makes sense of the sporadic nature of the problem, but I had never seen this symptom in the past and these were my first reports on the 2016 version.

Peter.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Peter,

Your setup is not an envrionment we test so there is little we can add towards your issue.  However, we notice your datafile is not in the same environment as the operating system.  Does the same problem occur if Reckon Accounts Personal Plus is accessing the datafile locally on the Windows VM?

regards,
    John.
  • Peter Sinclair_8078694
    edited March 2016
    John,

Thank you for the suggestion. I currently cannot easily reproduce the problem and I well understand why you don't test the environment I use.

I moved my Reckon datafile to the C: drive of my VM and reports ran perfectly; in fact Reckon seems a little more spritely. I think it is happier with a local rather than a network drive, which is how VMware presents the host filesystem.

In fact I will move to this location just for the Reckon files but direct the Reckon backup to the host OS X filesystem. I use this by preference as the repository for my files as my Time Machine backups run at the host level also, as does synchronisation to Cloud storage.

Best regards,
    Peter.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Good to hear Peter.

Yes, Reckon Accounts Personal range prefers data files to be on the same drive as the programme.  

In backups, I would suggest you create the backup to a local folder and then copy to your host filesystem.  

regards,
    John.
  • Liron Lightwood
    Liron Lightwood Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2018

Hi.  I have the same problem and have had the same problem for a year or two.  If I create a report that tries to contain everything and export it to a CSV compatible file (I  do this when upgrading to check that there are no problems in the upgrade), then I have the same problem.  My data file is on the C drive, the same one as Windows and Reckon Accounts Personal Plus.  I put my Reckon backup files on another drive, but that is on a partition on the local disk.

My software versions are:

Windows 10 64 bit, September 2018 update (also happened with the respective update a year ago and maybe two years ago)

Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2019 (also happened with 2018 and maybe 2017).

Excel from Office 365, latest update (also happened a year earlier and maybe 2 years earlier)

My workaround has been to do several reports, e.g. one per decade, rather than one big report.

The problem is that you can make a report in the current version, upgrade, then in the next version you can get this problem, and so it is not possible to check that the upgrade worked, unless you manually go through the file, which can be a very (and I mean very) time consuming problem.