Personal Plus 2016 Share portfolio wont update

Frank Dennis
Frank Dennis Member Posts: 7
I recently renewed subscription to Reckon Accounts 2016 Personal plus.  Everything  appears to work normally except it won't update online share portfolio. Contacted customer service who advised I should try community support. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Frank

Share a little more info about your problem.

a) what operating system are you running  (win7 or Win10 perhaps?)
    b) what version of PP2016 did you have previously?
    c)  when was the last time you were successful with e share update?
    d) is there any relationship between the events of running okay before versus now?  (ie:  change from old PP2015 perhaps, or upgraded to Win10 perhaps,  or changed some internet connection?)
    e) is all your other internet related activity working like browsing, or email, and is it running fairly fast?

Once we know the environment you run under,  then with the above added clues we may be able to discuss with you,  the exact issue that you're having

Gary
  • Frank Dennis
    edited November 2015

Gary Thanks for your prompt response

ans to your queries

a) operating system  running  is win7
    b)version of PP2016 had previously was Reckon accounts PP2015
    c) e share update was working fine until latest install of 2016 version
    d)  there doesnt appear to me to be any relationship between the events running before versus now - there have been  no changes I am aware of
    e) all other internet related activity like browsing, or email is working and is running as before installing Reckon Accounts PP 2016

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Frank.  good to learn you're on stable Win7 still.

So, you went from 2015 to 2016 of PP....  and share prices updates were ok with 2015 version.

You can't think of any other ENVIRONMENT changes,  so you feel that the move to just migrating from PP2015 to PP2016  has ended up with an inability to see share updates.

I've got win7 and I updated from 2015 to 2016 and I can see share updates.

So,  my conclusion.....
    .... there is still something subtly different between your upgrade and mine.

We can by-pass all manner of concerns with the operating system, and the internet.

You might wonder why I ask these questions and try to resolve things one step at a time.  I had a client who said he wasn't receiving alerts by email of when our local woodworking club was re-opening after a recent fire that wiped out he neighbouring council buildings.  After lots of analysis to check if the email was right, and working and so forth,  he finally admitted that he doesn't like using email very much and only uses it once a month.  No wonder he hadn't received news,  because he wasn't even running his email program!  You wonder why I have to double check things with people.....  SO after this chuckle, let's get positive.

We need to think about what internet/access/privilege settings may be disturbed on your system for Win7 + PP2016 (after and upgrade)  could impact an ability to download PRICES from the proprietary connection that RECKON has with the ASX.

Please confirm we're on the same page, and we;ll move to the next step of diagnosis.

Gary

• Frank Dennis
    edited November 2015
    Generally I accept your summation and this is how it appears to me- however thinking again about possible changed conditions I wonder whether the uninstall of 2015 version could effect things here .I mention this because when I was asked to uninstall and went to control panel and program and features I couldn't find Reckon Account program listed so I followed an alternate uninstall steps I found on the internet which I wasn't confident deleted all files. 2016 version appeared to install and as said before seems to perform normally. One other thing in searching for a way into how I can check internet connections I tried using Investing>todays data>download quotes and found the  down load update status showed the computer > server connection with red circle and message "saving...." whirring around with no result- cancel update button was not accessible- not sure this means anything
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Frank

Thanks for your prompt, honest, and sharing of feedback.    When dealing on this anonymous community forum, it is hard to second guess  the ramifications of what might be happening, in the absence of full information.  

Your comment about the way you had to force some sort of uninstall of 2015 is a clue to whether all of PP2015 is in fact uninstalled, and whether there are any 'left-behind' registry or common files that are getting in the way of PP2016 working as expected.

Also,  your observant attention to seeing  the behaviour of PP2016 'whirring' away looking for updates,,  could be a side-effect of the way PP2015 did not properly uninstall.

A couple of ways out of this are to:

1.  Very carefully copy ALL the data files relevant to your PP product to an independent disk (ie: an external disk and sub-folder that you nominate).  There are about 7 files comprising the whole PP set of databases.  PER ENTITY that you are running.   
    IE: In the past, I have had about 10 sets of files  (x7)  is  70 files.

2.  A reinstalll of original PP2015 and proper uninstall.

3.  a reinstall of new PP2016 as a 'clean install'

4.  the return f your vital DATA FILES.   (there are about 7 files comprising the whole PP set of database files)....

But consider this approach carefully, and seek IT help with people knowledgeable about the relationship of PROGRAMS versus DATA,  before wildly 'having a go"/

Gary

• Frank Dennis
    edited December 2015
    Gary Update on my issue- I decided to follow your advice copied what data files I had (only identified 5) then uninstalled my current Reckon Accounts P Plus 2016 and was going to reinstall 2015 version from CD and then realised I couldn't do this with notebook computer with no cd player. So what to do- decided to reinstall 2016 from downloaded exe. file which installed successfully. Opened program and clicked on one stop update and it worked - all stock prices were updated and currencies. Thanks for your tips - they did help and perhaps the problem was related to incomplete back up files I used in the initial set up or some glitch which was overwritten by reinstall.
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Frank

Hey, that is terrific outcome.   It was possibly some installation issue as you have now diagnosed, perhaps one dependency or file not quite right.   Glad to see that the clean install of PP2016 has you trucking along again!

Cheers

Gary
  • Frank Dennis
    edited December 2015
    I spoke too soon- should have examined my stock prices more closely-I found advice in help that the last download date is found in todays data next to download quote button - mine reads 29.11.15 which is the day I updated from 2015 to 2016 version - and there has been no update of data since! So I haven't resolved my problem with reinstall. Considering setup again starting with bank and gif file
  • Peter Dickson
    Peter Dickson Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Frank, I have the same problem. Since I installed PP2016, the updating is not working, either on individual securities or in the automated update mode. Have you had any luck in resolving the issue?
  • Deny Dharmawan
    Deny Dharmawan Alumni Posts: 141
    edited August 2016

Hi Frank and Peter,

There are a few things you can check.

• Try running the program as administrator even though you are logged in to the computer as administrator.
    • Turn off or disable your security program (firewall or antivirus), then try update via Investing > Online Activities > Download Quotes.

• Go to Online > One Step Update > Select quotes. Make sure your shares are ticked. Unticked shares will not get updated.

• Test on a different data file. You can use the sample file, or create a new file, create a new share, then try getting update for it.

Regards

Deny Dharmawan

• Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for this Deny. Unfortunately none of the fixes you have suggested have made any difference. What o you suggest as the next step? Regards Peter Dickson
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Deny I should add, I have 2 licences. The update is working with Windows 7, but not with Windows 10. It appears to be a Windows 10 problem. Regards Peter Dickson
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Check with recent forums this week where Rav has admitted there is presently an issue with this.
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for this Gary. Are you referring to the discussion about the failure of PP16 to update currency rates, or is there another one as well?
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Sorry, on road all day and this all sounded familiar, but yes the other topic was in fact the currencies...... So maybe I'm off track on this occasion. Otherwise, 'run as administrator' is usually the fix in win 10. Gary (still travelling)
  • Frank Dennis
    edited December 2015

Hi Everyone- sorry I lost the thread to the conversation missed initial enquiry - email went to junk mail and I just found it- I resolved the issue by ringing Reckon Tech support who advised me to sign in as administrator - the link is found by right clicking on icon shortcut used for opening program - tick the box then reboot and it has worked fine since. I have Windows 7

Frank D

• Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for this Frank. In Windows 10, Reckon will not allow me to run as administrator (It says that I need an additional licence!). I am inclined to think it is a Windows 10 problem. Gary, no apology necessary. I am pretty sure one post at least in that forum identifies the share price up-dating issue. I will contact technical support tomorrow morning and see if they have a solution. Thanks to you both. Peter
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    As far as updating SHARE PRICES is concerned,   (not to be confused with a separate issue about CURRENCY not updating in ONE STEP UPDATE),   it would appear today (11/12/15),  that STOCK PRICES DO UPDATE on:

Win7 with PP2015
    Win10 with PP2016 (when run as administrator).

That is my experience, checked again this morning.   SO apart from Peter's inability to run as administrator in the first place,  is this topic solved?

To assist.......

NOTES forwarded to PSG support today:

re:  inability to update CURRENCY on PP2015/Win7 and PP2016/Win10
           (possibly other combos too).
           (and separate issue, possibly resolved, about SHARE prices updates)

Deny Dharmawan  chimed in on this a week ago,   but not sure if an official CALL exists for DEVT/SUPPORT to address this issue:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/one-step-update-refuses-to-work?utm_source=notification&a...
    This one is STILL A PROBLEM today, 11/12/15.

Meantime,  this article
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/personal-plus-2016-share-portfolio-wont-update
    Perhaps this one is SOLVED.

Gary
  • Peter Dickson
    edited February 2017
    Hi Gary I seem to have jumped conversations by mistake! Hopefully the moderators can identify a single thread for us to follow as, at least to my mind, the problems are linked, even if not from a technical IT point of view. Still a major problem for me - PP2016 on Windows 10 is not only not updating security values, it does not read the security values when I transfer a back up file from the PP2016 I am running on Windows 7. Because of my slightly idiosyncratic way of doing things, this is a major inconvenience. I will contact Technical Support Monday to make sure they are still working on both the security price and exchange rate updates. Cheers
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
  • Peter Dickson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Gary