Personal Plus 2017 wont load file.

Options
Jeff WIllmott
Jeff WIllmott Member Posts: 2
I have just updated from PP2016 to PP2017. The 2016 file is supposed to be compatible with 2017, ie it doesn't go through an upgrade process.

I have two data files which I use, a business and personal file. The personal file opens and works ok on PP2017. However the business file doesn't open on PP2017. The program sits thinking for about 4-5 secs then shutsdown. Very occaisonally it will open though.

I followed the upgrade process, creating back ups and vaildating each file.

The file that won't open does occaisonally spit out two errors:
- invalid indent character
- invalid sort character.

I managed to re-install PP2016 on another computer. Both files open and work perfectly on PP2016.

What to say !

Obviously the 2016 files and 2017 files aren't absolutelty compatible, Reckon haven't done their testing properly.

Any ideas.

Comments

• Luke
    Luke Moderator, Reckon Staff Posts: 221 Moderator Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the Reckon Community!

So sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds as though there could be something wrong with your business file.

Since you can open the file in PP2016 could you please first validate the file in this version. Once you have validated the file please do a super validate by doing the exact same process as you would when you validate except, keep the two keys Shift + Ctrl held down. Once the super validate has completed you can let go of the keys.

The next thing to investigate is to ensure that there are no special characters AND/OR that it doesn't exceed 10 characters in your business filename.  If you need to rename your file please go to File > File Operations > Rename.

Once you have checked and done the above please create a compressed backup of your file. To do this go to File > Backup > Tick the box 'Backup data to compressed archive (.rkn) file'.

Once you have backed up the file please proceed to try and restore it in PP2017.

I hope this helps.

Luke.
  • Jeff WIllmott
    Jeff WIllmott Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks Luke, the business file name wasn't grreater than 10 characters or have a special character, I did the validate and super validate as you suggested with no errors. I backed up as per your instructions.

When I opened PP2017 to do the restore, I found that the business file was now working normally, and that I had problems with my personal file, The personal file which was working normally now crashed the program, but not all the time. It would only happen when I switched beteween the two files 3 or 4 times. I would occaisonally get the following errors  "unable to load dll C:\Reckon Accounts Personal\convert03\qd3.dll" and "required dlls for converting your data file are missing, please reinstall"

The above errors appear to be when upgrading from a Quicken 2004. I have been using quicken prior to that version but have never seen that error before either in program operation or upgrading from previous versions. I ran quicken 2011 until upgrading  to 2016 last year.

I re-installed 2017 and then restored both files after validating and super validating. The problem of crashing when changing between files still persists.

I then deleted 2017PP and loaded 2016PP, I then used the data files immediately prior to trying to update to the new version. The problem of crashing when changing files is now occuring when it wasn't before. Bizarre !

The crashing problem only occurs when I switch between the 2 data files opening each file then opening the other file a few seconds later and do this 3 or 4 times. The program just stops running and I need to use Task manager and close the QW.exe process, OR I get the missing qd3.dll message. QUicken error codes sometimes comes up one being 7101, but I have seen other codes.

When I have used reckon in the past, I have only ever entered data in one file and then changed to the other file to enter data before closing the program. SO maybe the problem has always been there but I have never seen it before.

The errors I first saw aren't appearing now.
    - invalid indent character
    - invalid sort character.

So I am back to running PP2016, the program seems ok, but I will monitor for any problems.
    I will attempt to try 2017 version on the other computer and see if the problem replicates on that computer.

I should never have attempted to upgrade to 2017PP and recommend others not to upgrade.

• NealC
    NealC Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just had the same issue...annoying.
    I also validated and super validated (with no change) (ie. Error still occurred!)

What I found that worked for me was to delete all files except for the QDF file.
    All other files are recreated by Personal Plus and it works.
    Remember to backup files before taking any of my advise