Personal Plus on Windows 10

Tim Price
Tim Price Member Posts: 7
I've been using Quicken Personal Plus on a Windows PC for many years with great success.  I recently had to change to a new PC with Windows 10 and I couldn't reinstall my 2015 version so I downloaded the 2016 version.  The program ran but took 50 -60 seconds to open an account and 20-30 seconds to record each new entry.  I've just downloaded the 2017 version hoping it would solve the issue, but it runs just as slow.  Any suggestions on why it runs so slow?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Hi Tim,

Has this degradation in performance only just started since the change to the new PC? Or has it been working ok on the new setup for a period of time while using 2016?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Chris Appleby
    Chris Appleby Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2019
    Mine opens in about 6 seconds. My data file is about 30MB and the Index file is 5 MB. Unless your are a lot larger it might be the other processes that are running on your computer.
  • Tim Price
    edited November 2016
    Good Morning Rav,
    I was running up to the 2015 version fine on a Windows 7 PC that eventually gave up on me.  So I bought a new PC that came with Windows 10 and downloaded the, then current, 2016 version.  It installed without any issues and found and opened my existing data file but immediately started running very slowly.
  • Tim Price
    edited November 2016
    Hi Chris,
    Mine used to !
    My files are about the same size: 38MB and 5.2MB.
    I'm using an i5-6600 processor, 16Gb of RAM and a 240Gb SSD, so the hardware is not an issue.
    Right now I have 5 different applications running and I'm using about 3%-5% of the CPU and about 20% of the memory.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Tim,

Check these elements of your PC.

Background Personalisation - do not use Slideshow - use Picture, or prefereably Solid Colour.

In Display Settings > Change the size of text, apps nd other items, have it set to 100%.

Have you included the column Avg Annual Return (%) on your Investing Portfolio screen?  If you have, remove it.  

A general guide for best performance of Reckon Accounts on Windows 10 is available here.

regards,
    John
  • Tim Price
    edited November 2016
    Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestions, however:
    • Background Personalisation was set to picture
    • Text size was set to 100%
    • Avg Annual Return (%) is not used
    Also your general guide link requires a username and password and my Reckon User ID and password don't work.

I don't think I have a general performance issue though.  When I enter a record, and am waiting the 20 seconds, I get a 'Not Responding' message in the top of the header bar.  Could the system be looking for my data file somewhere else and waiting for a time-out before it accesses the local file ?

Thanks
    Tim.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    My apologies Tim, the correct link is this:
    Best practice for Reckon Accounts Personal on Win10.

regards,
    John