Personal Plus 2011 has become unstable - qd3.dll error

Bob_6662651
Bob_6662651 Member Posts: 21

On Jan 14 I could not load a Quicken data file, with
error msg: “Unable to load DLL C:\Program Files(x86)\Quicken\convertc3\qd3.dll. Required dlls for converting data missing. Please re-install Quicken.”

The ‘missing’ QD3.DLL is actually present in the Quicken “Convert03” folder. There is no folder "convertc3" as shown in the error msg path. I assume the error msg has the wrong path string.

Reinstalled Quicken OK, but the problem still recurs intermittently and unpredictably, sometimes a couple of times per day. My system is Windows 7. Quicken Version No is R1.

When the 'unable to load' error occurs, I can open files normally if I shut down and restart Quicken.  Data and functionality are unaffected and when a file is open I can use Quicken perfectly normally. My three file sizes are less than 3.5MB each. There are no errors on File Validation. Filenames are all less than 8 characters.

I use McAfee Security Centre for firewall/anti-malware, and I run MalwareBytes AntiMalware manually from time to time to pickup malware that McAfee might miss. My system is clean.

Up until Jan 14, Quicken operated perfectly OK.

Any ideas?

Bob

Comments

• Jamaiel_6490508
    Jamaiel_6490508 Reckon Staff Posts: 74 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2014
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to Reckon Community!

With regards to the error encountered, usually this is due to an upgrade issue when trying to open a file that was created in earlier versions and then upgraded to 2004. Following this, when you try to open in 2011.

What you need to do is to install the Personal Plus 2006 to step upgrade your file. Afterwhich, open it again in 2011. The TRIAL for 2006 is D:\CV\2006 AU Trial and the TRIAL installation key is on the IKC.txt file.

Hope it helps!

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel

• Jamaiel_6490508
    edited February 2017
    Hi Bob,

Whoops! I realized that you are not on the verge of upgrading your file and the issue is occuring on the current file that you are able to open in 2011.

You may want to try Copying the file to another location. Start with:
    1. Create a New Folder on the Desktop
    2. Open a files in Quicken 2011
    3. Go to File | File Operations | Copy
    4. Click Browse... and navigate to the New Folder
    5. Enter a Filename at around 8 to 10 characters long
    6. Click OK
    7. Then select to open New File
    Do this to all 3 of your files and see if issue persist. You may want to do a Super validation as well which is the same steps as validation but start by pressing and holding CTRL + SHIFT.

If issue still exist, you may need to do a Clean Reinstallation of Quicken. But ensure you have a backup of your file before doing the steps.

Click here for steps in doing a Clean Uninstall and Reinstall of Quicken

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel
  • Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

Thx for the prompt & helpful replies, Jamaiel.

I will give it a go & report. Sometimes (like now!) the error does not appear for a few days. It seems to be completely random.

Re Supervalidate, do I go to File Operations > Validate, BUT do CTRL+SHIFT+Validate?

Rgds

Bob

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2017

Forget my question above :-)

I did a Supervalidate on the 3 existing files (Ie before making copies as suggested) & two failed ("Quicken cannot validate this file"), one was OK.

So, we are making progress.

I will do the copying procedure & see what happens,

Bob

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2017

OK, more progress!

I did the Copy thing and Supervalidate worked OK on all three files.

So now it is a matter of waiting to see if the qd3.dll error returns.

BTW, is there any problem if I just Move the new files to my original Quicken data folder using Windows operations, or should it be done in the Quicken environment (ie File Operations > Copy > Quicken data folder). I read somewhere that Quicken is fussy about eg re-naming files in the Windows environment.

Bob

• Jamaiel_6490508
    edited February 2017
    Hi Bob,

I hope that the issue does not occur again on your machine. If it did, we can still try to clean reinstall the program otherwise.

It is possible that the location or the path of the original files may be causing the issue. If you can, shorten the path i.e. Documents > New Folder and keeping the Quicken File name short to up to 10 characters.

In moving files, you can choose to move it via the COPY option or if manually, ensure that all the associated files (around 4 to 6 files with exactly the same name) are kept together like QDF, QEL, HCX, QPH, HCX, QSD, QIL, QIN, QHI, and IDX.

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

Thx, Jamaiel for your prompt & helpful advice.

So far, so good. If there are no repeat qd3 problems after a week, the problem is probably fixed. I will post some wrap-up comments then so others can see how it all worked out.

BTW, I have noticed one other change. Now, when I choose File > Backup, I get the usual dialog box showing the b/u location & other info.  That all works just fine. But to backup other Quicken files, I have to actually open them one by one.

Before implementing your fixup, When I chose File > Backup, I got a dialog box showing my 3 data files & I could select & b/u any one of them, not just the open file. After choosing a file from the box, the next dialog box showed the usual b/u location etc.

Once or twice this year, a file has failed to b/u & I wonder if that was another symptom of the qd3 problem. Unfortunately, I did not save a screen shot of the error msg.

It's not a problem now, just something different that I noticed when doing backups last night.

Bob

• Jamaiel_6490508
    edited February 2017
    Hi Bob,

In creating a backup, we have tested the 2011 but we never get the option to select a different file from what is opened to save a backup. The only options asking for a file is with the File Operations then Validate or Rename.

In terms of failure to backup, do you get the message "File NOT backed up"? If you do, this was a benign message but it actually does backup when you check the location. The usual reason is that the filename or the path of the file is too long. When you Rename the file to less than 10 characters, this should have resolved that issue.

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

In File > Backup now I can b/u only the open file. Before the fixup, I would see a dialog box allowing me to choose any one of my 3 data files - not just the opened one. Maybe this was a hangover from a previous upgrade that somehow persisted & was corrected by your fixup.

BTW I have upgraded from (I think!) 2004 > 2009 > 2011 over the years. Some of the upgrades (eg 2004 > 2009?) were complex and I had to follow fairly complicated (to me) procedures. Who knows what program remnants got left behind. Sounds weird, but I have other explanation.

Re the one or two failed b/u, I got the error msg you quote. I think that was after I restored my data files in an earlier attempt to fix the qd3.dll problem. The restored files had long names due to appended date strings. I set add date in my backup preferences. Anyway, b/u works fine now. I found that Quicken does not like long names & truncated mine to <8 char using File Operations > Rename.

Re paths my data file set up as per your fixup is C:\Users\Bob Muirhead\Desktop\Quicken Test. I assume that is OK, even the space in "Quicken Test"?

I works OK, but I was wondering if Quicken really prefers to have the data files in the same folder as the program files/folders? Although my old data files were in My Documents (not C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken) & that never seemed to cause any problems.

Anyway, I really appreciate your continued help and interest.

Bob Muirhead

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2017

The "missing QD3.DLL" error is back. Here is a brief summary of events:

Opened a Quicken data file and added transactions.

Closed that flle & tried to open another Quicken data file.

File would not open. Err: "Unable to load qd3.dll". Hit OK. Then msg ".....need to reinstall Quicken". Hit OK. Asked to send error report. Hit OK. Err code 7101. Quicken needs to close & did so. BTW, I am summarising err msgs rather than quoting text in full.

Restarted Quicken & the "good" file I was working on opened & SuperValidated OK. SuperValidate failed for the file that gave the qd3.dll error and also failed for my third data file. The two failures were the same two files that failed SuperValidate a few days ago before the fixup.  Err code 7213. Sent error report. Quicken shutdown.

Restarted Quicken and got a "Welcome to Quicken" dialog box with 3 options: (1) open the file Quicken found; (2) use another file; (3) start over and create a new file. The Next button was greyed out & Quicken was frozen. Hit Escape & Quicken shutdown.

Restarted Quicken & all files can be opened. All now SuperValidate OK.

So, the qd3 problem is still occurring unpredictably. Beats me. I did an uninstall & reinstall a couple of weeks ago before I came to this forum for help, so I am not sure if another re-install will work unless.

What next?

Bob

• Jamaiel_6490508
    edited February 2017
    Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear it had repeated the issue again.

By the way, how are you opening your Company Files? Are you manually navigating to the location or opened from the History of opened files under the FILE menu?

Moreover, in our other product, an update with a Security program (i.e. AVAST) stops the program from opening as it transfers a DLL file on it's Quarantine List as it incorrectly identifies it as suscpicious.

Therefore, you might want to try adding Quicken as part of your exception list for Firewall and Security programs. And if you can, try adding the qd3.dll file as well. You may need to refer to the support for the particular Security Program on how to do this and/or call a I.T. Professional.

Hope it helps!

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

Well, Jamaiel, every day is another day closer to the solution!

I open my files by File > Open, and then choose the file from the dialog box. I used to use the History, but I have been doing it via File > Open since the problem started, just to be sure History was not causing some problem.

I will try the Exception list idea. Not sure if McAfee will accept specific files like qd3.dll.

BTW, I read thru your uninstall/reinstall instructions in case I have to do that. I had already done an uninstall/reinstall on Jan 17 soon after the problem appeared,  I Googled and used the procedure I found at:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/downloading--installing--upgrading-and-converting/using-qclea...

The procedure on that weblink is different to that in your first email: http://www.quicken.com.au/kb/issue_view.asp?ID=4333

In reviewing your procedure I note that my Quicken installation seems to differ from the uninstall instructions given. I use Win 7, btw.

I don't have a C:\Program Data\Intuit folder.
    I  do have C:\Program Files, but there is no Quicken or Intuit folder in that location.
    I have C:\Program Files(x86), and there is a Quicken folder in that location. But that Quicken folder does not contain any Installation Folder as mentioned in step 6 of your uninstall procedure.

Before I go ahead with the uninstall/reinstall process (if all else fails) I need to resolve these inconsistencies.

A second point has occurred to me. Could the problem be computer-related, ie not Quicken? All my other apps run fine, the system is clean (no malware). I have not run the memory test, HDD sector test etc Diagnostics yet because it takes forever.

The only other thing I can think of is to get from you a valid listing of every Quicken file, dll etc that should be present and manually check that I have them all, in the correct locations, & no orphans left behind from previous upgrades.

Bob

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2017

One other thing I forgot to mention. In looking at what may have changed on my computer I recall that I signed up to Telstra T-Cloud in January, around the time the Quicken problem started.

T-Cloud is a cloud-based sync and backup app. It runs in the background on selected folders. The only folder synched to T-Cloud is my Quicken data folder. All other Quicken backups to my external HDD and USB drives all work fine, so I can't figure out why T-Cloud should be causing a problem.

But I might turn it off, just to rule out T-Cloud as a problem.

Bob

• Jamaiel_6490508
    edited February 2017

Hi Bob,

Since you have 3 Company Files. We might try to isolate them and ensure that you are opening the correct ones. One thing we are considering is that there might be a possibility where the file being selected to open is an older (different file).

To test this, ensure that when you go to File > Open, it points to the folder called Quicken Test. Also, checking the history of opened files, all 3 files must be pointing from C:\Users\Bob Muirhead\Desktop\Quicken Test\CompanyName.QDF

The link you quoted was from INTUIT which is the US Version of Quicken. We have rebranded the Quicken and now called Reckon Accounts Personal Plus which is the AU Version. Therefore, you may want to use our articles instead as it is catered for our version alone.

The Program Data folder in the C Drive is hidden. Please click here to see how you can view this.

It is possible that the issue is computer-related as well but we’ll start first with turning off your T-Cloud and see if issue recur. If it does not after sufficient amount of time, turn it back on and see if it affects it.

It is possible that it might be scanning or accessing the file simultaneously when you are opening, which as you mentioned, may “locked up” the file. If that’s the case, then perhaps contact TELSTRA and inform them if there is a possibility of placing exception or changing it’s settings so as not to coincide when you are perusing the program and the files.

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

Thx for all the time you are putting into this problem. BTW, I have had multiple qd3 errors and supervalidate errors today.

It is kind of interesting that today I also deleted from T-Cloud the old backups of Quicken data (not Quicken Test - the pre-problem data folder). More on T-Cloud below.

Responding to your points in order:

To test this, ensure that when you go to File > Open, it points to the folder called Quicken Test. Also, checking the history of opened files, all 3 files must be pointing from C:\Users\Bob Muirhead\Desktop\Quicken Test\CompanyName.QDF 

YES, all is as above.

I ran Dell Diagnostics to check all memory and devices. It took about an hour. All tests PASSED. So maybe hardware (eg bad memory, bad sectors) can be ruled out.

we’ll start first with turning off your T-Cloud

When I simply deleted the Quicken Test folder from T-Cloud, T-Cloud still tried to access it and was giving odd usage stats.

I noted from Windows Uninstall that T-Cloud was installed on Jan 7, but I did not start to actually use it until a few days later. Maybe coincidence, but that was pretty much the same time the qd3 error started. So now I just uninstalled the whole  T-Cloud app. Still have to trawl the Registry etc to check for orphans.

It is possible that it might be scanning or accessing the file simultaneously when you are opening, which as you mentioned, may “locked up” the file

Yes, that makes perfect sense. It would certainly explain the randomness of the errors & the fact that I can always open my data files if I try repeated restarts of Quicken. 

T-Cloud gives no activity/status msgs, so I don't have a clue when it is trying to b/u or synch -  or what hidden markers/tags it might be placing on my folder to b/u. It is a complete black box that Telstra want to work just like any other drive on the computer. But its 'invisibility' drives me nuts! I always want to know exactly what my apps do.

Maybe T-Cloud is the villain. Fingers crossed!

The only other significant update in Jan was an auto-update of Java to Java 7, Update 51. There were a couple of Windows updates as well.

Bob

• Jamaiel_6490508
    edited February 2017
    Hi Bob,

You are doing great!

Hopefully with all the time spent in order to identify the culprit that may be causing the issue.

I am looking forward on the result of your test with the T-Cloud. And if there's anything else you'd like to clarify or ask, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Jamaiel.
  • Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

It's quite a saga. Maybe we should write a book :-)?

Anyway, so far, so good. No T-Cloud & I have been 'stress testing' Quicken with frequent file changes.

Files seem to open 'snappier', so maybe T-Cloud had been 'spying' on me, waiting to do its (invisible) thing and grab hold of my files.

I also posted my problem in the Telstra discussion forum to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. No responses yet.

But if T-Cloud synch/bu is the problem, why not Dropbox and other 'cloud' synch apps?

Anyway, let's be cautiously optimistic. No champagne yet!

Bob

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2017

Uh oh!

I just ran Supervalidate on all my files. The Open file Supervalidated OK, but the two other files did not. I guess if a file opens with all its data intact, it must be OK so supervalidate will work.

I then ran Validate on all Files and all three Validated OK

I then ran Supervalidate again and all 3 Supervalidated OK.

Apart from that, no sign so far of the qd3.dll problem.

So let's just note all that for the moment.

It's a question for later, but I would like to find out exactly what Validate and Supervalidate do. Maybe there is a Knowledge Base article on it.

Some years ago I had a Validate error on one file & the error report described exactly what the error was. Supervalidate simply says "Quicken cannot validate this file."

Bob

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Bob,

I'm glad you are moving forward with your backup/T-Cloud issue.  Maybe talking to T-Cloud support may provide further insights into its behaviour with Personal Plus 2011.

Let me try to explain the Validate function.

Personal Plus is a database file which is different to simple files like Word and Spreadsheets.  There are several layers in a database file and their operation depends on one layer linking to the next layer properly.  

Sometimes links can break - this is what is generally referred to as a corruption.  Validate (or in our other products Rebuild) checks the integrity of the file and where links are broken, restore them.  

Of course damage can vary in extent and Validate may not restore the link.  SuperValidate takes the same process a little deeper, so breaks that aren't fixed by the Validate may be fixed on the SuperValidate.

Where specific errors are found an error message will be displayed indicating the nature of the error.  With some errors a log file will be created with more information.  "Low level" errors can be fixed within the file by attending to the transactions identified.  Whenever you get an error message you should check our knowledgebase at http://www.quicken.com.au/kb/search.asp for a possible solution.  

Where a specific error cannot be identified you will get a generic error message 

Sometimes SuperValidate may not fix the damage.  Depending on the nature of the damage your file is still not yet lost and you may be able to restore functionality by copying to a new file, re-naming it, and perhaps upgrading to a later version.  

If these tricks don't work then your file is irretrievably lost.  In these circumstances you have to rely on your backup and re-enter data since that date.  

With some of our other products, like the Accounts Business range, Reckon has a Data Recovery group that has more powerful tools that may repair extensive damage.  Still, in some cases the damage may be beyond repair.

I hope this clarifies the Validate function for you.

regards,
    John

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

Thx, John. That is very helpful. Actually I think the validate/supervalidate behaviour I reported earlier is a separate issue to the qd3.dll error. I will investigate it further once I am satisfied that the qd3.dll error is resolved. That might take another week of trouble-free operation to be sure. Perhaps then I might think about re-installing T-Cloud to see if the problem returns.

So far my Quicken files are opening, closing and performing very crisply and operations have a snappier feel with T-Cloud uninstalled.

No response yet from Telstra CrowdSupport. Actually, Quicken users with only one data file (probably the majority) who also use T-Cloud b/u may not experience the qd3.dll error. I get it only when Quicken is open and I swap from file to file.

Once I am confident that T-Cloud is the problem I will give Telstra the details so they can work out a fix.

Anyway, I will keep you posted if anything changes, otherwise I will post a wrapup in a week.

Bob

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Bob, and do keep us informed.  

From time to time we do come across products that conflict with our products and it will be useful for many users (as I believe there will in time be many other users in your position) to find a way to have both products working.  

best regards,
    John
  • Bob_6662651
    edited February 2014

Quicken Personal Plus 2011 has worked stably, without any errors, since uninstalling T-Cloud backup on Feb 18. So I am 90% confident that application conflicts during T-Cloud backups were the cause of the "missing qd3.dll" error.

There have been no reports of similar problems in Telstra's CrowdSupport forums. Telstra T-Cloud staff have responded, offering to help resolve the problem and I have posted all the details including a link to this topic. I have also suggested that Telstra might like to contact Reckon directly if they want to understand the issue in more technical detail than I can provide.

BTW, users with only one Quicken data file who also use T-Cloud backup will probably never experience the qd3.dll error. Also, Quicken users with more than one file will probably not experience the error if they do not immediately open another file after closing a file. A delay of only a few minutes would probably allow T-Cloud to release whatever functionality has tied up qd3.dll, preventing a new file from loading.

I have just posted an update on Telstra CrowdSupport & I am waiting to hear back from them.

I hope this topic has been useful.

Bob

• John G
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the update Bob, I'll pass your experience up to our product managers to investigate further.

regards,
    John

• Bob_6662651
    edited February 2017

Just a final wrap-up. Quicken Personal Plus 2011 has performed perfectly since uninstalling Telstra T-Cloud backup on Feb 18 as reported earlier.

I have re-named my data files (using Quicken File Operations) and folder (using Windows 7) and re-located them to My Documents with no problems at all.

So T-Cloud was almost certainly the cause of the "missing qd3.dll error".

I have posted all the history on Telstra CrowdSupport, but have had no comment from either Telstra or Quicken users. I had asked Telstra to either fix T-Cloud themselves or talk to Reckon about a fix, so I did not expect them to respond to me. This might be a minor issue in their eyes.

All is back to normal and life is rosy again!

Thx to John and Jamaiel for your help.

Bob

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for keeping us informed Bob.  

Thinking about this issue, I wonder if you ensure your Accounts Personal data files and backups are kept separate (say in Documents) from the Installation folder (C;\Program Files (x86)\Quicken); and T-Cloud is sync'd only with the Documents folder, that the problem will not occur.

There still may be a problem when opening your datafile and T-Cloud is sync'ing/backing it up at that moment.  The file may not open.  Try again a minute later may then be OK.

Also, how will T-cloud behave it it tries to sync/backup a file that is in use?  

regards,
    John
  • Bob_6662651
    edited March 2014

My Quicken data files are in a folder in My Documents, ie separate from the installation folder C;\Program Files (x86)\Quicken. But I set T-Cloud to b/u only the Quicken folder because My Documents contains a large number of files and I would quickly use up my 3GB space allowance on T-Cloud.

The problem is that T-Cloud is a total black box, with no indication of what it is doing at any moment. Plus, you can't customise it to synch or b/u at a specific time to avoid app conflicts.

If apps like T-Cloud are intended to function in the background just like another hard drive, they have to be bullet-proof.

Users should not have to experience unusual problems like I have and spend weeks figuring out the cause and then have to implement workarounds to solve the problem. Surely Dropbox, Google Drive etc etc don't have these problems?

I could probably implement workarounds like you suggest, but the hassle is just not worth it.

I have finished with T-Cloud until Telstra fix it. There are other T-Cloud user issues, not just my Quicken problem. CrowdSupport is full of complaints/questions.

Bob

• Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Thanks once again Bob, its good to know exactly where we stand.

cheers,
    John