POS Printer Dissatisfaction

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
I've been a long term user of Reckon Accounts and over a year ago I purchased Reckon POS Pro for a Cafe; it has taken me this long to set it up, due to the fact I run a second business, and I was so looking forward to start using it when I was let down by a few things. The hardware I have are the Senor Terminal (Computer) and the Senor GTP-290B3 Printer. The Printer is set up to print both the receipt and the kitchen receipt. The let downs are, one, the font size is too small and you can't change it, secondly, the inability to have the same "Message" print on both the Receipt and the Kitchen Receipt, it only prints on the main receipt, and thirdly, the inability to be able to categorize more departments than just the kitchen, e.g. you may want "Drinks" on a separate receipt just like kitchen is separated. I have spoken to both Reckon Technical Support and Senor Technical Support and both were extremely helpful but unfortunately have been let down by the software. If anyone out there has any ideas how the system can be tweaked to make things more suitable I would be very grateful.
Photo of Con

Con

• 436 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rik Dillon

Rik Dillon

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I have the same problem with the kitchen printer - very poor.  Mine also crashes frequently.  Occasionally, it doesn't print in the kitchen and then the terminal locks up on the next transaction.  Consequently I have to check that the kitchen has got the last order. If it hasn't, I have to reboot the terminal before the next customer to avoid them having to wait.  Of course it always locks during the busy periods.  It's almost worse to have an unreliable printer than not one at all. My concern it that the USB connection may not be reliable enough.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Rik, Oh yes I remember that thread. (over here for ref https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/kitchen-printer-problem)

So you never got it sorted out? 

time to invest in that network printer
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Con,

Yes Reckon POS can be a great product, but it can be a pain the arse when it doesn't work how you want it either.

I've voice many times on here about issues with POS (we are a POS user) and even started a wishlist of ideas over here https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-pos-2016-wish-list-thread-of-ideas

It will be interesting to see if Reckon does anything with this, as they have had 12 months (by the time pos 2016 is released) between those ideas and the release.

I do agree, that the font size should be more adjustable, and its just silly that there isn't support for more than one 'kitchen printer'. These days, food goes to one area, drinks goes to another.

You could even say 3 or 4 kitchen printer supported is needed. Food to two different areas, drinks to another and coffee to another.

I've seen 3 printers in kitchens due to the way the food is made, mains to one area, bread stuff to another, and a pizza oven area had its own printer just for pizzas.

It wouldn't be too hard, Reckon POS just needs to have support for more than one kitchen printer, and then a drop down box to say which printer to print to rather than a single check box.

I'll tack your two main points raised here onto the wishlist thread, so they can be tracked easier. I'm sure there will be a "Reckon POS 2017 Wish list" thread coming up soon!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Also not sure what you mean by "the inability to have the same "Message" print on both the Receipt and the Kitchen Receipt, it only prints on the main receipt"?
Photo of Con

Con

Thanks Andrew for your reply. For Dine-in's we allocate a table number and this table number only appears on the main receipt and not the kitchen receipt. Maybe I've selected the wrong function for this button but I cant see anything workable.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

ahhh ok. How are you adding the 'message'? As a memo?
Photo of Con

Con

yes as a memo
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

(I don't work for Reckon BTW)

OK.. I don't have a kitchen printer setup to test on. So makes it a little hard to give advice here, so you might have to work with me in a bit of testing ;)

BUT

I think you should be using the "Table Number" Function, not Memo.

So redesign your touch screen layout. Add a new button, scroll down to a function called "Table Number". Leave the preset table field blank, then Apply/Save etc

To assign a table, you type in the table number aka 32, then push the newly created button, aka Table Number.

This inserts Table: 32 on the top of the receipt, and from what I can work out, it should be on the kitchen dockets too ;)

I'm not sure what "Print Order Number" does in the function key setup, the help was a bit average on explaining, this. So you might want to try this with it on and off to see what it does. I would start with it off.

Let us know how you go!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Con... Did you get a chance to try the Table Number fix above?
Photo of Con

Con

Hi Andrew, table number has been fixed, thanks (I didn't pick up on that function when I was setting it up).
There is also another problem that I just realized I didn't mention in the original query, and that is the printer starts printing from the moment you start a transaction. It would be more ideal if the whole transaction was printed at the time of payment. Many times during a transaction you need to cancel an item, and in a cafe situation, the staff preparing the order, may not pick up on the cancelled item until they get down to the minus entry which may be down the list, and by then they may have prepared the item. Overall POS is a great product but the printer defaults let it down immensely as the printer receipts, in the cafe environment, are a crucial side of it.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Con, glad you got it fixed. Also best to report back here to let us kind people who help you out for free to know you got it fixed!

As for you next issue, yes that is easy to fix. We do just that outselves.

You need to turn receipt printing off (look down the bottom, you'll see receipt on). There is a key/function you can assign to toggle the status. Ours is a keyboard shortcut to the letter Z. So press your key assign to toggle it until it shows receipt off.

From here when this is off, it won't print line by line as you go, but will wait for a tender key to print to start the receipt print. To do this you need to edit the tender keys (cash/eftpos/account charge etc) and tick the receipt print option).

Now no receipt is printed until the sale is 'finished' via a tender key process.

Problem fixed.
(Edited)
Photo of Con

Con

Hi Andrew, thanks again for your reply. I deleted that key when I was designing the layouts as I didn't think it was necessary but, as you've suggested, I have re-instated it. I can now print the whole receipt at the end of the transaction but, it still prints the items that have been voided or cancelled. Being a touchscreen you would think that you would be able to select the item and remove it by voiding it so it's not part of the transaction and hence not appear on the receipt. I don't know but, am I overlooking a function that will allow me to do what I want?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Not that I'm aware off. Drop Reckon a note and ask for it to be included.

Basically the way it works today is for auditing, but yes in your case I can see it being a issue for 'change of mind' mid ordering on the dockets.
Photo of Con

Con

Hi to all, I recently upgraded to POS 2016 and there are no changes/additions to the program. All of the tweaks I requested have not been made. I can understand that my requests may be industry specific and in such a growing industry you would think that they (Reckon) would like a larger slice of it; it appears not. Very disappointed.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I'm not going to lie Con, Reckon rarely adds new features to its desktop products. So not shocked from your findings.

Its very disappointing. The community put together a massive list of features when POS2015 came out as it was another disappointing release from Reckon, in hope that POS2016 would be 'special'.

We even pinged the dev team etc, and nothing got done of that list.

I often wonder, if there is room in the market for ANOTHER POS product, that starts addressing some of these major issues that a re popping up.