Printer is not activated error code 20 after upgrade to Windows 10

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
After upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 , running Reckon 2014 premier and outlook 2013, cannot email invoice with error message : Printer is not activated error code 20. Note: no issue before upgrade to Windows 10

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Re: Amyuni PDF Converter and Win 10?

I came across below message from Amyuni website. The current driver of Reckon 2014 Premier is Amyuni Document Converter 400, I wonder this driver is compatible to Windows 10.  Can someone from Reckon investigate this area? If it is found to be the problem that cause " Printer is not activated error code 20 ", then will there be a driver update from Reckon?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hello,

We recently started testing our version v5.0 of the Amyuni PDF Converter on Windows 10 and have not encountered any issues. At this time we have not plants to support version v4.5x on windows 10.

We are aiming to release our next major upgrade version v6.0 with windows 10 certification to coincide with the windows 10 release later on this summer. As soon as Microsoft makes their printer driver windows 10 certification tests available, we are going to have our driver certified for that OS
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2020
    Solution:

Try to update the printer driver to Amyuni Document Converter 500, restart the computer, you will get error message, this time it is error code -41 

then try to update again the printer driver to Amyuni Document Converter 450, restart the computer, you will get similar error message, error code -41 

Change back the driver to Amyuni Document Converter 400, the problem disappear. Now I can email invoice.  How it works? I do not know.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015

Below is the reply from Amyuni Technical personnel on my question of current version of Amyuni Document Converter 400 use by Reckon 2014 Premier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The version of the Amyuni PDF Converter that you are trying to install on your PC is a special developer edition of our product that is configured to only function with the product it came bundled with.

This may be an older version of our product which appears to be not compatible with windows 10.

The developer editions of our products are registered to the software developer (vendor) and their customers are unfortunately not entitled to a free updates or technical assistance.

In order for you to possibly acquire a free update, we suggest that you contact the technical support department of the application the Amyuni PDF Converter came bundled with.

However since you are a licensed user of a product that bundles our component, we can offer you our Amyuni PDF Converter or Amyuni PDF Suite products at a special reduced rate. You can purchase this product online from the link below http://www.amyuni.com/developer/

This product will not be integrated into the application like your current version of the PDF Converter but rather, will appear as another printer on the user’s PC.

Regards,

Amyuni Technologies Inc.

5165 Sherbrooke W., Suite 200, Montréal, H4A 1T6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Elaine Smith
    Elaine Smith Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2016
    I cant save any pdf's (as in my invoices) or email anything since the Windows 10 update - No invoicing done - NO MONEY coming in - Not Happy - these printer error codes 20, 30, 41 need to be sorted asap - 
  • Elaine Smith
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Andrew, I have tried running it as admin, not helping either, Normally I am the last person to install anything new with windows, this time I thought I would just jump in, and it back fired big time. - lol there is some thing to be said about doing book work the old fashioned way - "Pen n Paper" 
  • Elaine Smith
    edited August 2015
    Hi again Andrew, Just tried it again, and this time it work!! thank you
  • Jack Preacher
    Jack Preacher Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2015
    G'day Lou,

This sounds like a better workaround for people who do are not having luck getting things to work using the 'login as Administrator' way that had been suggested.

Can anyone at Reckon confirm that this is something that they have tested?

Cheers,

Jack
  • Rosemary Wall
    Rosemary Wall Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2015
    I have the same error message 20 - printer not activated; and have found that if you go to the devices and printers page in Settings, when you right click on the Reckon converter....click on Printer Properties......then Preferences on the General Tab.....it comes up with the printer not activated message again and when you click OK it brings up an AMYUNI info page...on that page on the right hand side is a tiny blue box with a few dots in it....if you click on that it brings up another window with 2 fields...a "Licenced to"field and an "Activation code" field and neither of my fields have any information in them. Can Reckon simply give us this information???
  • Rosemary Wall
    edited August 2015
    Just solved my problem by going to the security tab on the printer properties pages and ticking ALLOW for all the users listed in the permission box.
  • Ashley Piercy
    Ashley Piercy Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2015
    Is there a procedure to install the Amyuni Document Converter 500, then the 450 and finally the 400?
  • Ashley Piercy
    edited August 2015
    Does this issue also happen if using Microsoft Outlook?  I'm currently using Windows Live. Reckon suggest using outlook as they support it.
  • Ashley Piercy
    edited August 2015
    Its all a bit silly really.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Make life simple, just roll back to previous Windows when things run fine.
    How? Go to Windows Defender Settings/Recovery/Go back to Windows 7 / 8.1 (You have one month grace period to roll back from the date of upgrade)  
  • Steve Benecke
    Steve Benecke Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2015

Full points to Andrew above. Running Reckon accounts as an administrator fixes the print issue with Windows 10. It is a security feature of Microsoft outlook and not issue with print - pdf converter as I first suspected. Using Premier 2015 version.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2016
    Steve, roll back Windows 10, go to Windows Defender Settings/ recovery/ go back to Windows 7  / 8.1.  Everything will be fine as before upgrade (Note: You have one month grace period to roll back from the date of upgrade), wait for new Reckon 2016, they may fit the problem then.
  • Steve Benecke
    edited August 2015
    Andrew,  Same can be said for windows 10. Having a few out of the box issues with it also. No RAID Controller support for Marvell 88se91xx so I lost  2TB RAID set HDD's for a few hrs. Glad O/S was on a seperate Solid State drive or I would have had a dead duck on my hands.  Ended up downloading from the Intel Website after pulling computer apart to get the Raid controller Chip number. Also and old USB printer driver not available same issue. ended getting an win8.1 64 bit driver off the Xerox downloads that works. Slowly getting back to fully functioning like it was with previous windows. All fixed now (I hope) but migration has not been that smooth for me. :-)
  • Steve Benecke
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Lou. I have worked through the issues. and everything is fine in Windows 10 now. I can send emails and print in Reckon Accounts and solved my other couple issues with it.
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2020
    Thank you for your insights Andrew and I will pass them on to our developers. 

Yes, the changes in Windows 10 will require current editions to make a few tweaks to work on it, but our testing is showing it will work.  The 2016 release (due in April) will be fully compatible with Windows 10.

A guide to tweaks you may need are outlined in our KB: Reckon Accounts and Windows 10.    

regards,

John

• Steve Benecke
    edited August 2015
    image? ?This is the popup in Reckon Accounts running under Windows 10 when running as administrator to send invoices by email.
  • Rosemary Wall
    edited August 2015
    Microsoft are the main problem here and are originally responsible for most errors - Outlook used to be included with Microsoft Office - found out the hard way when our computer took a surge that it is now a separate purchase and additional expense - the ATO advised me to use Mozilla because I could not log onto their portal with Explorer application after getting Windows 7 (that goes for quite a few government sites) but it only effects some computers. I fail to see why Windows 10 had to modify ANYTHING in my Reckon accounts program but it obviously did! Logging as an administrator did no work for me and neither did the reinstalling of each PDF driver - mine required a review of the permissions. Given that each of us has had a different problem that has been solved by a different workaround there must be a high level of influence from the settings and parameters of each individual computer and that is almost impossible to cover with one fix method so we need to keep sharing our fixes and suggestions but I fully agree that Reckon needs to introduce a universal email connection program or else provide Outlook with the annual upgrade option. Good luck everyone.
  • Ashley Piercy
    edited August 2015
    Do you know if Reckon Hosted has any issues with using Windows Live Mail?
  • Steve Benecke
    edited August 2015
    I was meaning run the individual program as administrator. ( right click on programs icon choose run as administrator. ) Not the windows login or program login.
  • Rosemary Wall
    edited August 2015
    Yep right clicked and chose run as administrator from the Reckon icon exactly as was suggested in a previous post or a side conversation (can't see it any more) and it did not help, the upgrade had unclicked ALL the permissions in the Amyuni printer properties - did not tick deny - just unticked allow. Sorry Ashley got no idea about Reckon Hosted - only other program I am using is the Reckon Government Connect app they sent to access the ATO and I did check that I could still get on with that.
  • Sonya Farrawell
    Sonya Farrawell Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    As usual a poor solution to what would appear to be a simple issue.

Reckon how about you spend the dollars and upgrade now "n order for you to possibly acquire a free update, we suggest that you contact the technical support department of the application the Amyuni PDF Converter came bundled with."

Intuit don't do this to their client base... Might be time to switch product.
  • Rosemary Wall
    edited August 2015
    For those still having problems especially with emailing because they are not using Outlook as their default email client - I have worked around this by choosing the Microsoft Print to PDF selection which saves the file as PDF wherever I want it and I then email it as an attachment from Windows Live.
  • Wendy Treble
    Wendy Treble Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Yes l know have this issue as well and logging in as administrator still soesn't fix the problem

• Wendy Treble
    Wendy Treble Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    :(
    Thanks
  • Jamie N Nicole Moresco
    Jamie N Nicole Moresco Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Hi Steve have some problem as you.. Can you advise how you did it/
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Having upgraded to Windows 10 last week, and this being the first week to email pay slips, I also struck the same problem.  In looking at what seemed to be many and varied and some quite complex "solutions" which did not specifically seem to cover the problem, and being unable to find the way to update the specific PDF driver, I decided on the "Run as Administrator" option from the Program icon on my desktop.  To my astonishment, that actually fixed the problem.  In the process of re-starting a couple of times, I hadn't got around to opening Outlook,  before trying to send the pay slips.  That certainly caused an issue.  It would seem apparent that Outlook must be running before emailing pay slips is attempted.  John G
  • D
    D Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    And they wonder why people are flocking to xero. *rolleyes*
  • Tim Cross_7724692
    Tim Cross_7724692 Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2015
    So I run Reckon 2015 plus as an administrator and yes my invoice email appears in my outlook outbox where I can add the necessary details and then send. However, when you return to Reckon you have the error screen to switch to or retry. You have to hit the two options over and over again until you get a final error message suggesting the email has not been sent (but it has). This a a pain in the you know what. Any further suggestions out there?
  • Rosemary Wall
    edited December 2015
    Hi Tim - instead of clicking the email button, I have been choosing PRINT and then one of the "print to PDF" choices which allows me to save the PDF document in a folder on my computer and then I just send it as an attachment - this is a particularly good workaround if you have a string of emails with a customer - you can just hit reply and then attach the file instead of creating a new email from your Reckon program. Also - if running as an administrator solves the problem then manually modifying the permissions  - you need to right click on the Quickbooks PDF Converter Printer icon and scroll half way down to Printer Properties (NOT Properties that is right down the bottom), you should see Printer Preferences with Printer Properties underneath it - once you open that click the Security tab and you will see the permission choices ALLOW and DENY - you need to go through every Identity listed in the top box because the permissions will change for each person or identity - ALLOW everything and see if it helps. TIP - go back after you have closed the printer files down and make sure the choices held OK and did not revert.
  • Ceej
    Ceej Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    We upgraded to Windows 10 last week and struck this problem as well.  I have tried many of the suggested fixes in other threads,  with no success, although I did get Reckon to email the payslips one time when I ran as administrator, but this only worked one time and then wouldn't work again.  We are unable to email anything at all from Reckon, not statements, invoices, payslips or anything.  

We have worked around the problem by preparing attachments and just sending each one as an attachment to an email, but this is a HUGE step backwards when it was all such a seamless process before.  I was hoping someone would have sorted out a fix but apparently we are just going to have to put up with this problem for months to come

We hope that this is sorted soon.  Upgrades are not always what they are cracked up to be.  Rolling back from Windows 10 doesn't really seem a great solution, but may be the only one we have.    Ho hum
  • Nigel Soakell
    Nigel Soakell Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    Didn't work for me but I am using Reckon Accounts 2015 and have the same problem as listed, what did work was removing the Reckon Accounts V4 PDF Converter, then installing again from C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Reckon Accounts 2015 via install.exe it then created a printer called Amyuni Document Converter and set it as the default printer, I then set the port to nul: and changed the port on Send to OneNote to LPT1: (you may not need to do this step, it was just to ensure each had their own port.) I then went into Reckon and saved to PDF and it worked. Note Reckon set to run as Administrator, when I did this it created another printer called Reckon Accounts V4 PDF Converter and it set the port to RA2015Port. I rebooted ( I may have also rebooted once prior), then set the default printer back to my normal printer and removed the Amyuni Document Converter. Changed the port back on Sent to OneNote as Nul: Went back into Reckon and saved as PDF, all worked fine. Went to do an email test (I have the option Display each email when sending more than one, ticked under Preferences, Online, Company Preferences) and I got a MAPI error 947, after further research see https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/windows-10-reckon-2015 this was resolved buy opening Outlook 2013 and making sure it was also set to run as administrator.

Hope this helps someone.
  • Christina_7863335
    Christina_7863335 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    I went through everything to try to fix this and didn't think to check the compatability between the OS and the version of QuickBooks. So, in my 3 hours of troubleshooting just now, just make sure that you don't have a version older than QuickBooks 2012, because it is unsupported after 3 years. I was trying to run QuickBooks Pro 2010 on Windows 10; turns out, it is not supported. Rookie mistake, but this is how we learn, right? 
  • Tim Cross_7863345
    Tim Cross_7863345 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2015
    Yep but that does not help with non-compatibility with latest Reckon software!
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Hi Christina and Andrew,

Although certain aspects of Reckon Accounts Business 2014 & 2015 are not fully compatible with Windows 10, we will assist users of these versions with any problems they may encounter.

Thanks
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Christina.  Whilst Andrew's idea certainly does have a great deal of merit, the task of rolling back does seem a bit daunting and obviously won't work if you are outside of that 30 day window.  Whilst not necessarily ideal, another option might be to try and temporarily get hold of another computer without windows 10 on it and load the program onto that one.  As I said, not necessarily ideal or practicable, but it is another option.  John L G
  • Christopher Gleeson
    Christopher Gleeson Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    What a joke all this is.
    I'm switching to xero.
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Christina, there is another option too, which you might want to look into.  Would it be feasible for you to consider moving to Hosted?  You should then have an immediate fix with an odd Windows 10 issue perhaps to deal with then.  There are certainly fors and againsts the move to Hosted and I am using both Hosted and Desktop with numerous different companies.  John L G.