Printer is not activated error code 20 after upgrade to Windows 10

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
After upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 , running Reckon 2014 premier and outlook 2013, cannot email invoice with error message : Printer is not activated error code 20.
Note: no issue before upgrade to Windows 10
Photo of Lou

Lou

• 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Lou

Lou

Re: Amyuni PDF Converter and Win 10?

I came across below message from Amyuni website. The current driver of Reckon 2014 Premier is Amyuni Document Converter 400, I wonder this driver is compatible to Windows 10.  Can someone from Reckon investigate this area? If it is found to be the problem that cause " Printer is not activated error code 20 ", then will there be a driver update from Reckon?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hello,

We recently started testing our version v5.0 of the Amyuni PDF Converter on Windows 10 and have not encountered any issues. At this time we have not plants to support version v4.5x on windows 10.

We are aiming to release our next major upgrade version v6.0 with windows 10 certification to coincide with the windows 10 release later on this summer. As soon as Microsoft makes their printer driver windows 10 certification tests available, we are going to have our driver certified for that OS
Photo of Lou

Lou

Solution:

Try to update the printer driver to Amyuni Document Converter 500, restart the computer, you will get error message, this time it is error code -41 

then try to update again the printer driver to Amyuni Document Converter 450, restart the computer, you will get similar error message, error code -41 

Change back the driver to Amyuni Document Converter 400, the problem disappear. Now I can email invoice.  How it works? I do not know.
Photo of Jack Preacher

Jack Preacher

• 254 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
G'day Lou,

This sounds like a better workaround for people who do are not having luck getting things to work using the 'login as Administrator' way that had been suggested.

Can anyone at Reckon confirm that this is something that they have tested?

Cheers,

Jack
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jack,

Well in the other Windows 10 threads from a few months ago asking if Reckon will be ready for the wave of Windows 7/8 users updating to Windows 10 this month, Reckon advised that Reckon 2015 products work with Windows 10. I don't think testing/QA control is Reckons strong suit! So I wouldn't be holding my breath for them to reply any time soon with a fix.

Have you noticed the lack of Reckon employees providing answers here? You would think they would be all over this place trying to answer and squash the Windows 10 issues, but no..... Cloud, cloud, cloud is all they care about these days!

The Reckon desktop line of products is dying a slow and painful death. Death from a thousand cuts.

Oh well.
Photo of Ashley Piercy

Ashley Piercy

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Is there a procedure to install the Amyuni Document Converter 500, then the 450 and finally the 400?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Ashley - Reckons only comment on this is to try this

If you are experiencing issues Emailing/Creating PDF’s please refer to: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.as....

If this fails, my point of view is to cut your losses and rollback to your old version of windows that was working. You only have 30 days to rollback from the update. Its going to take Reckon longer than 30 days to fix these issues. You can always update again in the future.

So do you want Windows 10 with a broken accounting package, or a older version of windows with a working one!
Photo of Ashley Piercy

Ashley Piercy

Does this issue also happen if using Microsoft Outlook?  I'm currently using Windows Live. Reckon suggest using outlook as they support it.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Ashley - Yes outlook is the only 'supported' mail client by Reckon.

They don't support SMTP/Live/365/google mail/Built in Default Mail clients on Windows 8/10. So if you're like us and use google mail, you have to PAY, have outlook installed and setup just to send email from Reckon Accounts.

When we send emails from Reckon, then we need to go open Outlook to actually send the emails. urgh..... We don't use outlook for anything else other than sending emails from Reckon! Its so 80's...........
Photo of Ashley Piercy

Ashley Piercy

Its all a bit silly really.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Ashley, you're preaching to the choir!
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Microsoft are the main problem here and are originally responsible for most errors - Outlook used to be included with Microsoft Office - found out the hard way when our computer took a surge that it is now a separate purchase and additional expense - the ATO advised me to use Mozilla because I could not log onto their portal with Explorer application after getting Windows 7 (that goes for quite a few government sites) but it only effects some computers. I fail to see why Windows 10 had to modify ANYTHING in my Reckon accounts program but it obviously did! Logging as an administrator did no work for me and neither did the reinstalling of each PDF driver - mine required a review of the permissions. Given that each of us has had a different problem that has been solved by a different workaround there must be a high level of influence from the settings and parameters of each individual computer and that is almost impossible to cover with one fix method so we need to keep sharing our fixes and suggestions but I fully agree that Reckon needs to introduce a universal email connection program or else provide Outlook with the annual upgrade option. Good luck everyone.
Photo of Ashley Piercy

Ashley Piercy

Do you know if Reckon Hosted has any issues with using Windows Live Mail?
Photo of Steve Benecke

Steve Benecke

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was meaning run the individual program as administrator. ( right click on programs icon choose run as administrator. ) Not the windows login or program login.
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

Yep right clicked and chose run as administrator from the Reckon icon exactly as was suggested in a previous post or a side conversation (can't see it any more) and it did not help, the upgrade had unclicked ALL the permissions in the Amyuni printer properties - did not tick deny - just unticked allow. Sorry Ashley got no idea about Reckon Hosted - only other program I am using is the Reckon Government Connect app they sent to access the ATO and I did check that I could still get on with that.
Photo of Nigel Soakell

Nigel Soakell

• 70 Points
Didn't work for me but I am using Reckon Accounts 2015 and have the same problem as listed, what did work was removing the Reckon Accounts V4 PDF Converter, then installing again from C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Reckon Accounts 2015 via install.exe it then created a printer called Amyuni Document Converter and set it as the default printer, I then set the port to nul: and changed the port on Send to OneNote to LPT1: (you may not need to do this step, it was just to ensure each had their own port.) I then went into Reckon and saved to PDF and it worked. Note Reckon set to run as Administrator, when I did this it created another printer called Reckon Accounts V4 PDF Converter and it set the port to RA2015Port. I rebooted ( I may have also rebooted once prior), then set the default printer back to my normal printer and removed the Amyuni Document Converter. Changed the port back on Sent to OneNote as Nul: Went back into Reckon and saved as PDF, all worked fine. Went to do an email test (I have the option Display each email when sending more than one, ticked under Preferences, Online, Company Preferences) and I got a MAPI error 947, after further research see https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/windows-10-reckon-2015 this was resolved buy opening Outlook 2013 and making sure it was also set to run as administrator.

Hope this helps someone.
Interested to know what Browser  you were using to email invoices? I am getting the error code 20 also after upgrading my computer to Windows 10 and can't email reports/invoices.
Betty
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

Hi Betty - all these problems started when we all upgraded to Windows 10. My best and easiest work around for all these problems is to choose the printer choice Microsoft Print to PDF which allows me to save the file as PDF and then just email it as an attachment to my client - this also allows you to email from Quickbooks when you do not have Outlook Express as your default email (Reckon does not recognise any other email program so you cannot email directly from the program if you are running Live Mail for example). Hope this all helps you.
Photo of Helen McKenzie

Helen McKenzie

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rosemary, I tried changing the printer choice to Microsoft print to pdf, when emailing payslips it didnt offer the -save the file as pdf option it just went to  error 20.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

• 20,730 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Helen
You don't mention which program you are using.  Here is what you could do if you have the desktop version, rather than Hosted.
I had this problem and solved it quite simply in the end, providing you are using Outlook.  If you are, then don't use the Reckon start icon from your programs list or task bar, as that still remains a problem.  Instead, you should find an icon on your actual desktop instead.  Then, right click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator", which will then start the program for you.  When I did this, I had instant success, with Outlook as my default program, which must be open before you attempt to email the pay slips.  I don't have the same problem with Hosted.
John L G
Photo of Helen McKenzie

Helen McKenzie

i tried this and it worked for me, thanks
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Excellent Helen.  We like good news - thanks for responding.  John L G
Photo of Andrea Harris

Andrea Harris

• 60 Points
Thank you John! That was a big help! So, every time I enter QuickBooks or Word, etc. I have to open my programs by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" for my preferred printers to work? If so, I hope that there is a fix coming soon.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Hi Andrea. From what we know it seems that the fix will be in the new release, probably around next March. In case I forget what to do, I deleted my short cuts icons so that I have to use the one on my desktop. John L G
(Edited)
Photo of Zari

Zari

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Did any other Members update the programme Small Business Edition 2015,and had  Windows 10 on their computer. Only to find out it was not compatible, so reinstall old verison. And ever since I have been having huge issues with sending out PDF files, clients are receiving emails without pdf's attached, but when I check my sent folder they are there. I have had no joy with suggestions from Reckon support. As I keep telling them was working fine prior to this and no clients have changed anything and were receiving them fine before I tried to update the programme!!! Any help would be great appreciated. I am frustrated and run out of options. Paying for a programme that is not working efficiently is worse than frustrating.
Photo of Lou

Lou

Below is the reply from Amyuni Technical personnel on my question of current version of Amyuni Document Converter 400 use by Reckon 2014 Premier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The version of the Amyuni PDF Converter that you are trying to install on your PC is a special developer edition of our product that is configured to only function with the product it came bundled with.

This may be an older version of our product which appears to be not compatible with windows 10.

The developer editions of our products are registered to the software developer (vendor) and their customers are unfortunately not entitled to a free updates or technical assistance.

In order for you to possibly acquire a free update, we suggest that you contact the technical support department of the application the Amyuni PDF Converter came bundled with.

However since you are a licensed user of a product that bundles our component, we can offer you our Amyuni PDF Converter or Amyuni PDF Suite products at a special reduced rate. You can purchase this product online from the link below http://www.amyuni.com/developer/

This product will not be integrated into the application like your current version of the PDF Converter but rather, will appear as another printer on the user’s PC.

Regards,

Amyuni Technologies Inc.

5165 Sherbrooke W., Suite 200, Montréal, H4A 1T6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Windows 10 and Reckon products are not happy. The current 'fix' from Reckon is to right click and run as a Administrator and see if that fixes your printing issues. This was covered off well before the W10 release with Reckon, but they failed to act on fixing anything.
Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I cant save any pdf's (as in my invoices) or email anything since the Windows 10 update - No invoicing done - NO MONEY coming in - Not Happy - these printer error codes 20, 30, 41 need to be sorted asap - 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,202 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Elaine. Cloud, cloud cloud!!!! Oh Sorry, thats what reckon keeps telling us. As for your problem. As above. This is a known issue, Reckon haven't addressed. You can get your PDFs to work again by closing Reckon Accounts, then right clicking on the Reckon Accounts icon and then selecting Run as Administrator. Its a work around but should get you going for the moment.

I would seriously test Reckon Accounts to make sure it works for you. Even running as Admin some things don't work as expected. If it doesn't you can ROLLBACK to your old version of windows if its all too broken for you. I've advised all my Reckon clients to NOT update to Windows 10 at this stage. Support just isn't there. Maybe next years refresh aka 2016 versions might fix some of the bugs. But I wouldn't be too sure.
(Edited)
Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

Thanks Andrew, I have tried running it as admin, not helping either, Normally I am the last person to install anything new with windows, this time I thought I would just jump in, and it back fired big time. - lol there is some thing to be said about doing book work the old fashioned way - "Pen n Paper" 
Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

Hi again Andrew, Just tried it again, and this time it work!! thank you
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Glad you got it working Elaine.
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

I have the same error message 20 - printer not activated; and have found that if you go to the devices and printers page in Settings, when you right click on the Reckon converter....click on Printer Properties......then Preferences on the General Tab.....it comes up with the printer not activated message again and when you click OK it brings up an AMYUNI info page...on that page on the right hand side is a tiny blue box with a few dots in it....if you click on that it brings up another window with 2 fields...a "Licenced to"field and an "Activation code" field and neither of my fields have any information in them. Can Reckon simply give us this information???
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

Just solved my problem by going to the security tab on the printer properties pages and ticking ALLOW for all the users listed in the permission box.
Photo of Lou

Lou

Make life simple, just roll back to previous Windows when things run fine.
How? Go to Windows Defender Settings/Recovery/Go back to Windows 7 / 8.1 (You have one month grace period to roll back from the date of upgrade)  
Photo of Steve Benecke

Steve Benecke

Full points to Andrew above. Running Reckon accounts as an administrator fixes the print issue with Windows 10. It is a security feature of Microsoft outlook and not issue with print - pdf converter as I first suspected. Using Premier 2015 version.

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Steve, Yes its a 'security' feature, a little bit of Outlook and little bit of the OS as well. Its not purely Outlook, hence why windows 7 users don't have any issues printing/emailing.

This change in security has been coming for ages, it first chopped up in Windows 8.x, but in the 3 years since Windows 8 release, Reckon hasn't done a thing to fix it. Which is one of my main issues! Now Windows 10 is a little bit stricter and its becoming more of a problem.

Reckon is at fault here for not adopting other emailing technologies and adjusting the code so it doesn't run into these issues.

Software SHOULD run out of the box, without doing any of the following this

- disabling UAC
- Running as a elevated administrator
- Adjusting the compatibility mode
- Follow some multi step complex KB guide on how to get THEIR product to work that is broken out of the box.

We are talking software released this YEAR, not last decade. Oh and don't get me started on the failure of the installer in not detecting dependencies and just borking in a loop.

Reckon users are looking for GREAT things in the 2016 release of the product.

Its funny, they want users to move over to the cloud (yay cloud, cloud cloud!) but this mistreatment of desktop users, by leaving them in the cold in hope they move over, is just crazy. I guess they hope users have Stockholm syndrome or something.
Photo of Steve Benecke

Steve Benecke

Andrew,  Same can be said for windows 10. Having a few out of the box issues with it also. No RAID Controller support for Marvell 88se91xx so I lost  2TB RAID set HDD's for a few hrs. Glad O/S was on a seperate Solid State drive or I would have had a dead duck on my hands.  Ended up downloading from the Intel Website after pulling computer apart to get the Raid controller Chip number. Also and old USB printer driver not available same issue. ended getting an win8.1 64 bit driver off the Xerox downloads that works. Slowly getting back to fully functioning like it was with previous windows. All fixed now (I hope) but migration has not been that smooth for me. :-)
Photo of Wendy Treble

Wendy Treble

• 70 Points
Yes l know have this issue as well and logging in as administrator still soesn't fix the problem
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Wendy, Follow the KB that Reckon linked to, if these things dont work for you, then roll back your windows in hope that 2016 products might work
Photo of Wendy Treble

Wendy Treble

• 70 Points
:(
Thanks
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Sorry. No major fix. Reckon let us down!
Photo of Lou

Lou

Steve, roll back Windows 10, go to Windows Defender Settings/ recovery/ go back to Windows 7  / 8.1.  Everything will be fine as before upgrade (Note: You have one month grace period to roll back from the date of upgrade), wait for new Reckon 2016, they may fit the problem then.
Photo of Steve Benecke

Steve Benecke

Thanks Lou. I have worked through the issues. and everything is fine in Windows 10 now. I can send emails and print in Reckon Accounts and solved my other couple issues with it.
Hi Steve have some problem as you.. Can you advise how you did it/
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Jamie, have you tried the KB http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.as...
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your insights Andrew and I will pass them on to our developers. 

Yes, the changes in Windows 10 will require current editions to make a few tweaks to work on it, but our testing is showing it will work.  The 2016 release (due in April) will be fully compatible with Windows 10.

A guide to tweaks you may need are outlined in our KB: Reckon Accounts and Windows 10.    

regards,

John

Photo of Steve Benecke

Steve Benecke

This is the popup in Reckon Accounts running under Windows 10 when running as administrator to send invoices by email.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi John, Great to hear. Bit sad we have to wait 8 months for a version that will work though. and when you say "fully compatible" do you mean without any of the hacks/tweaks that we have to do today!?

"fully compatible" in my books would mean none of this!

- disabling UAC
- Running as a elevated administrator
- Adjusting the compatibility mode
- Follow some multi step complex KB guide on how to get THEIR product to work that is broken out of the box.

and PLEASE bring in SMTP mail support.
Photo of Sonya Farrawell

Sonya Farrawell

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
As usual a poor solution to what would appear to be a simple issue.

Reckon how about you spend the dollars and upgrade now "n order for you to possibly acquire a free update, we suggest that you contact the technical support department of the application the Amyuni PDF Converter came bundled with."

Intuit don't do this to their client base... Might be time to switch product.
(Edited)
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

For those still having problems especially with emailing because they are not using Outlook as their default email client - I have worked around this by choosing the Microsoft Print to PDF selection which saves the file as PDF wherever I want it and I then email it as an attachment from Windows Live.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well its a 'work around' if you're stuck. But it shouldn't have to be like that! Glad you found something that works for you.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

• 21,866 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Having upgraded to Windows 10 last week, and this being the first week to email pay slips, I also struck the same problem.  In looking at what seemed to be many and varied and some quite complex "solutions" which did not specifically seem to cover the problem, and being unable to find the way to update the specific PDF driver, I decided on the "Run as Administrator" option from the Program icon on my desktop.  To my astonishment, that actually fixed the problem.  In the process of re-starting a couple of times, I hadn't got around to opening Outlook,  before trying to send the pay slips.  That certainly caused an issue.  It would seem apparent that Outlook must be running before emailing pay slips is attempted.  John G
Photo of D

D

And they wonder why people are flocking to xero. *rolleyes*
Photo of Tim Cross

Tim Cross

• 640 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
So I run Reckon 2015 plus as an administrator and yes my invoice email appears in my outlook outbox where I can add the necessary details and then send. However, when you return to Reckon you have the error screen to switch to or retry. You have to hit the two options over and over again until you get a final error message suggesting the email has not been sent (but it has). This a a pain in the you know what. Any further suggestions out there?
(Edited)
Photo of Rosemary Wall

Rosemary Wall

Hi Tim - instead of clicking the email button, I have been choosing PRINT and then one of the "print to PDF" choices which allows me to save the PDF document in a folder on my computer and then I just send it as an attachment - this is a particularly good workaround if you have a string of emails with a customer - you can just hit reply and then attach the file instead of creating a new email from your Reckon program. Also - if running as an administrator solves the problem then manually modifying the permissions  - you need to right click on the Quickbooks PDF Converter Printer icon and scroll half way down to Printer Properties (NOT Properties that is right down the bottom), you should see Printer Preferences with Printer Properties underneath it - once you open that click the Security tab and you will see the permission choices ALLOW and DENY - you need to go through every Identity listed in the top box because the permissions will change for each person or identity - ALLOW everything and see if it helps. TIP - go back after you have closed the printer files down and make sure the choices held OK and did not revert.
Photo of Alena Bow

Alena Bow

• 60 Points
Thanks Rosemary, you have had the best solution that works and it is easy at least now I can email and it is so simple, thankyou
Photo of Ceej

Ceej

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We upgraded to Windows 10 last week and struck this problem as well.  I have tried many of the suggested fixes in other threads,  with no success, although I did get Reckon to email the payslips one time when I ran as administrator, but this only worked one time and then wouldn't work again.  We are unable to email anything at all from Reckon, not statements, invoices, payslips or anything.  

We have worked around the problem by preparing attachments and just sending each one as an attachment to an email, but this is a HUGE step backwards when it was all such a seamless process before.  I was hoping someone would have sorted out a fix but apparently we are just going to have to put up with this problem for months to come

We hope that this is sorted soon.  Upgrades are not always what they are cracked up to be.  Rolling back from Windows 10 doesn't really seem a great solution, but may be the only one we have.    Ho hum
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well sometimes the rollback is the ONLY way to make it work...... So while its not a great solution, its a better one than saving the PDF by hand and manually creating a email and adding an attachment! Really comes down to your volume of emails sent. a few a week, its liveable. 50+ a day, its a no go.

Pro tip, make sure Outlook is open BEFORE RA....... if that fails, you can try opening Outlook as Admin, but this might break the outlook profile and you'll need to create another one again. (running as normal again will restore it to the old profile)
Photo of Christina

Christina

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I went through everything to try to fix this and didn't think to check the compatability between the OS and the version of QuickBooks. So, in my 3 hours of troubleshooting just now, just make sure that you don't have a version older than QuickBooks 2012, because it is unsupported after 3 years. I was trying to run QuickBooks Pro 2010 on Windows 10; turns out, it is not supported. Rookie mistake, but this is how we learn, right? 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Christina, its not only your 3 year old product that isn't supported under windows 10, even the current Reckon Accounts 2015 version isn't supported!!
(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 71,420 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Christina and Andrew,

Although certain aspects of Reckon Accounts Business 2014 & 2015 are not fully compatible with Windows 10, we will assist users of these versions with any problems they may encounter.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well Christina has a even older version than 2014/2015, so I guess she is just out of luck then! Get that credit card ready Christina, but hold out for 2016 version as Reckon won't offer a 'free' upgrade from 2015 to 2016 which will be the only version that is certified to work with Windows 10. Due to hit the stores around March 2016.

In the meantime, if its really broken, you can do a rollback of Windows 10 to your old version of Windows. You have 30 days to do this from the upgrade date.

To access the rollback, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back toWindows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.

At least your QuickBooks will work then!
(Edited)
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

• 20,322 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Christina.  Whilst Andrew's idea certainly does have a great deal of merit, the task of rolling back does seem a bit daunting and obviously won't work if you are outside of that 30 day window.  Whilst not necessarily ideal, another option might be to try and temporarily get hold of another computer without windows 10 on it and load the program onto that one.  As I said, not necessarily ideal or practicable, but it is another option.  John L G
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi John, daunting!? not so! The roll back is easy as within the 30 day window. Just like the upgrade, say yes to rolling back, then sit back and wait! Done! PC will be just like it was pre upgrade.

Outside of the 30 day window, then yes its messy as requiring a reinstall of windows and all the apps etc. Shudders, so this is why you shouldn't wait if its broken. No fix is coming any time soon from reckon, so if a non windows 10 PC isn't free to run it, then do the roll back now before its too late.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Christina, there is another option too, which you might want to look into.  Would it be feasible for you to consider moving to Hosted?  You should then have an immediate fix with an odd Windows 10 issue perhaps to deal with then.  There are certainly fors and againsts the move to Hosted and I am using both Hosted and Desktop with numerous different companies.  John L G.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Thanks Andrew - that is worthwhile knowing about the ease of roll-back. Too late for me thought, but all of my issues with Windows 10 (both Hosted and Desktop) now have a satisfactory work-around, even though it did take some time for this to happen.  John L G
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Glad you got them sorted. Hosted would work, but its a bit rough to go from a once off licence cost to a $45/month cost as reckon has been a bit slack on keeping its software up to date for later OSs. The cracks started to appear in windows 8.x and just kept going from there.

I've got a wide range of software installed, some many years old that has worked flawlessly on windows 10. Yet the current shipping version of RA is a mixed bag.

I've said it before, we have high hopes for RA2016!
Photo of Tim Cross

Tim Cross

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yep but that does not help with non-compatibility with latest Reckon software!
Photo of Christopher Gleeson

Christopher Gleeson

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What a joke all this is.
I'm switching to xero.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Before you jump to xero, check out QuickBooks online! (Not linked to reckon at all) and myob online and of course you can't forget reckon one, I mean after the way they treat their desktops users, you'll be lining up to use the cloud product. Hint no statements or real customized invoice layouts yet after 2 years of asking in reckon one... It's coming soon!! So they keep saying for the last 18 months!
Photo of GeoffK

GeoffK

• 70 Points

I have just upgraded my PC to windows 10 and have been having the same issues with not being able to email invoices direct from Reckon Accounts Small Business 2014.

I have been playing with this for the last few days and believe that I have solved my emailing problem

1. Installed Outlook 2010 and set it as default email (it does not work with the new Mail that is bundled with Win 10)

2. Logged in as Administrator

when testing I was right clicking on QBW32 application file in Intuit > Reckon Accounts 2014

After several successful goes, pinned QBW32 to Start. When you go to start you need to right click and select Run as Administrator

If you set QBW32 to Administrator using the properties menu Reckon Accounts locks and does not open

It is actually emailing the invoices smoother and quicker that it does using Win 8.1

Hope this is of help

GeoffK

Photo of Helen McKenzie

Helen McKenzie

Thanks Geoff, have done it and all is good now.
Are you finding that when you email payslips , not all the names are not presented to email, even though they've been ticked and have correct date range in the select to email window? Because this is what is happening to me since .
Photo of Helen McKenzie

Helen McKenzie

Thanks Geoff, have done it and all is good now.
Are you finding that when you email payslips , not all the names are presented to email, even though they've been ticked and have correct date range in the select to email window? Because this is what is happening to me since .
Photo of GeoffK

GeoffK

• 70 Points

Helen,

I have not used the print payslips feature

Geoff

Photo of Zari

Zari

Did any other Members update the programme Small Business Edition 2015,and had  Windows 10 on their computer. Only to find out it was not compatible, so reinstall old verison. And ever since I have been having huge issues with sending out PDF files, clients are receiving emails without pdf's attached, but when I check my sent folder they are there. I have had no joy with suggestions from Reckon support. As I keep telling them was working fine prior to this and no clients have changed anything and were receiving them fine before I tried to update the programme!!! Any help would be great appreciated. I am frustrated and run out of options. Paying for a programme that is not working efficiently is worse than frustrating.
Photo of Nigel Soakell

Nigel Soakell

• 70 Points
You could try using System Restore in Windows to see if you have a restore point prior to you upgrading to the Small Business Edition, if so then you could try doing a system restore to that point in time which should put you back to the old version of Reckon. Note it will also undo any other program updates and installs that you have done but should not affect any of your data. I'd recommend that you still do a backup prior to the system restore and also Create a Restore point of your current point in time. If you are not sure how to use system restore just Google for instructions.
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 70 Points
Hi There. I updated to W10 and have had endless problems with reckon accounts. No emailing of anything, payslips, invoices. Have followed the advice listed here and it works, sometimes, actually less than 50% of the time. Other times it just crashes and i have to restart the whole computer. There has been no support from Reckon on this apart from some work arounds that barely work. If some proper support is not forthcoming soon than i will need a refund from Reckon for the 6 months i won't or can't use this system and will be going elsewhere for my bookeeping.
Richard
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

You have another 3 months to wait Richard, until you have the privilege of PAYING for RA2016 product update that will fix the Windows 10 issues you're seeing. Hopefully!

Until then, nothing can be done and hahahaha yeah best of luck in getting a refund from Reckon! Won't happen.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Hi Richard.  If you read my post earlier on in this long string, you will find that I was successful in using the desktop version of RA using Windows 10 by taking the following steps:
1.  Find the Reckon Accounts icon on your desktop.  Do not use any of the ones that might be in your system tray etc,
2  Right click on that icon and select "Run as Administrator" to start the program.
I have not had any problems since. It is important though that you have Outlook open before you attempt to do any emailing. 
To avoid starting from the wrong icon, I deleted the ones in my system tray.  This then forces me to have to go to the desktop.  I have successfully used this approach on 2 computers running Windows 10.
It has been stated that the 2016 versions should issue in another 2-3 months when hopefully all of these problems should be a thing of the past.
Unfortunately it is probably fair to say that everybody who went to Windows 10 was hopeful the Reckon Accounts would still work flawlessly, but alas, that was not the case.
John L G
Photo of Jason Hollis

Jason Hollis, Head of Product

• 10,208 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Obviously there is quite a bit of frustration around this topic from both ends, so hopefully I can shed some light.

Background:
  • The Windows 10 OS was only in tech preview when we launched RA2015. In any launch cycle we finish the coding months before release, so we actually had no working build of Windows 10 through most of our dev cycle.
  • QA was completed on the release we had available at the time and there were no substantial issues that popped up which were widespread. As many windows users have experienced since upgrading, what is an issue for one person is not for another. ** I personally had to roll back a PC because one application was not opening correctly, and my network card driver failed even though the manufacturer had released a Windows 10 update.
  • We have released yearly updates for many years. This is nothing new. With newer technologies (Reckon One for example) we have been able to keep to a pretty tight 2-3 week update cycle (some front end, some back end, some both). This is simply not possible with desktop software.

User feedback also tells us that our customers do not want to install update patches every month or indeed every 3 months on their desktop or server environments. Some undoubtedly would, but most would not. That being said we are still investigating how we might be able to release non-database reliant updates in the future for issues that are a high percentage of our help desk calls.

Further to some of the excellent advice on this topic already posted I can advise that I was also not able to email from Reckon Premier 2015, Outlook 2010 and Windows 10. 

The fix? Not only did I need to run RA2015 as Admin but I also had to run Outlook as Admin. Note: The email send preferences within Reckon Accounts also have a bearing on the results you achieve. 

I have included videos to show the error as originally experienced by Lou and how I was able to overcome it. Hopefully this will assist.

1. Running RA2015 as Administrator (email send preferences set to NOT display each email when sending). See HERE

Note when trying to display each email when sending... this method may still fail. See video 2.

2. Running BOTH RA2015 and Outlook 2010 as Administrator (email send preferences set to display each email when sending). See HERE

Whilst I acknowledge this is not a 'fix' we are working on a permanent solution now that we have a stable public build of Windows 10. Further to this we are hoping to release a new email send method in the 2016 version. We ultimately want to be able to overcome technical issues experienced by integrations with other software vendors, and also give the user options to send from methods other than Outlook.

** As issues can vary from user to user, and system to system, please contact our tech support if you are continuing to have email send problems, and please ask for an escalation if you do not receive a satisfactory resolution.

Kind regards,
Jason Hollis
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 3,340 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Thanks Jason.
Please also test with MS Office 2016. Especially Outlook 2016
See this thread:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-accounts-and-outlook-2016

Photo of Jason Hollis

I'll see if I can sneak an upgrade through on my expenses Steve :)

I'll also pass the noted thread update re attachments through to the QA lead as well as the RA product owner.

Regards,
Jason
Hi Jason, I've had major issues after upgrading to W10. Wish I hadn't now. I haven't been able to Post/Transfer daily transactions since upgrading. Now that I have sold my business and my support is due I cant afford to purchase support for help. Hopefully you have a solution.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 88,672 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jamie,
Might be best to pop this question in a new thread so we can discuss it specifically there.

From the sounds of it you're referring to POS, is that correct?

Which version are you using?
Do you encounter any error messages (or anything else) during the process?

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Jamie N Nicole Moresco, 

Strangely POS was about the only product from the '2015 range' that I haven't seen having issues on Windows 10. I did some early testing over in this thread with the results.

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/any-reckon-point-of-sales-users-made-the-jump-to-windows-...

As Rav said, start a new topic, post some screen shots of the errors and what you're doing. Someone might be able to help you out.

Andrew
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your update and thoughts on this topic. I'll toss mime out here too.

The Windows 10 OS was only in tech preview when we launched RA2015. In any launch cycle we finish the coding months before release, so we actually had no working build of Windows 10 through most of our dev cycle.

True it was in preview, but the first publicly available preview release of Windows 10 was October 1, 2014, so a good 5-6 months before RA2015 release date. While still VERY beta, it would have given Reckon some signs of the troubles coming.

I also don't believe this statement is purely Windows 10 issue, as the TWO main issues with RA on Windows 10, had also been happening on Windows 8.x machines, just not as bad, So the issues had been around for MANY years now.

If Reckon had addressed these issues for Windows 8.x users when they popped up then Windows 10 release wouldn't have been as heavily impacted..

QA was completed on the release we had available at the time and there were no substantial issues that popped up which were widespread
I've said it once, I'll say it again. Your QA department needs to be sacked or kicked up the backside. This is a total lie that "no substantial issues were found". Users had been reporting issues to Reckon during the final release candidate builds of issues with RA2015 and Windows 10 working together. sending of email was a big one!! How your QA department missed this, I have no idea.

There are MANY threads here on the issues being reported way before the release date on Windows 10. Reckon ignored them.

Also many threads for RA to confirm that will work with Windows 10 before they upgrade and to warn Reckon that its mostly 'SOHO' user base will be receiving automatic updates to a new OS. So do some testing and release some patches! But Reckons response was QA says its fine. It wasn't.

We have released yearly updates for many years. This is nothing new. With newer technologies (Reckon One for example) we have been able to keep to a pretty tight 2-3 week update cycle (some front end, some back end, some both). This is simply not possible with desktop software. 
Yet many years ago Reckon use to release patches a few times a year to address bugs and issues for 'free'. Now all bug releases are rolled up into yearly paid updates. :(

Its funny, chrome can update users machines every 6 weeks without problems or user interactions, so it can be done if you want to do it. I'm not saying Reckon needs to go to this level of updating, but SOME updates would be better than nothing.
User feedback also tells us that our customers do not want to install update patches every month or indeed every 3 months on their desktop or server environments.
Make them optional? I'm sure lots of Windows 10 users would be VERY happy to apply a update today to address the issues they are having.

Likewise if a user reports a issue, they wouldn't mind apply the update/patch to address their issue either.

for issues that are a high percentage of our help desk calls.
you reap what you sow, you had been warned about the wave of Windows 10 updates coming and issues.

Further to this we are hoping to release a new email send method in the 2016 version. We ultimately want to be able to overcome technical issues experienced by integrations with other software vendors, and also give the user options to send from methods other than Outlook.

I for one are counting down the days for this!! Outlook email sending is just messy and needs to die tomorrow. I just hope the new sending method doesn't bring in a wave of new issues.

PS If you want any beta testers to have a play with your RA2016 product, I'll happily donate a few hours of my time to review it and give feedback. Send me a NDA over to sign.
Photo of Jason Hollis

Hi Andrew,

I do not wish to turn this into a Q&A piece as the thread has already been contaminated. You can talk to us directly as you have done in the past if need be, however to clarify for future readers:

While still VERY beta, it [windows 10] would have given Reckon some signs of the troubles coming.

And this is what was done. We have thousands and thousands of users. We have not seen a high '%' of users with issues. However, the QA team are aware of issues with Win 10 and also latest Outlook versions and I am sure they will make this a priority this year.

Make them [update patches] optional?

That goes without saying and is what we are investigating. 

Its funny, chrome can update users machines every 6 weeks without problems or user interactions

Chrome is a completely different architecture to Reckon Accounts. User and partner feedback has sent us a strong message that we should not push updates onto users. As above, we are reviewing optional updates, but again many aspects come into play such as third-party add-ons, multi-user sites and so on. Please remember a high percentage of users are not as technically savvy as yourself, and indeed many wait until the tax patch so they only need to do one update per year.

Yet many years ago Reckon use to release patches a few times a year to address bugs and issues for 'free'

That is unfortunately factually incorrect. The only recent year we released multiple patches was 2008 when we moved to a new GUI and SQL database. This version encountered quite a few issues including one that effected the DB.

Multi-currency was also not in the original release so was included as a patch around 6 months later. This (08/09) release was the exception, not the rule. In recent releases we have released the database update and the tax patch in late June.

Hopefully that exhausts this discussion. I have done my best to explain our position. We have taken the feedback on board (most definitely) and hope to answer many concerns with the 2016 product release.

Until then, please offer addition commentary that is not related to assisting the original query in this thread by contacting us directly or starting another thread.

Thank you,
Jason

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.