Problem with 2019 update and saving 2017 Qdata

Vince Mulkerin
Vince Mulkerin Member Posts: 6

I have a new computer so no old copies of Quicken on it. I received an email with the link to download the program. All went well I copied my QData file from my old computer and went to the opening page and entered the backup from a usb. The program opened and I was able to enter new data. When I went to save I got an ‘unexpected error’ pop up box. I did make a report (twice – 240928822 and 240928862). There was an Error Code 7033 in the pop-up box.

I tried to open the program from the exe file instead of the desktop shortcut but got the same. I then resaved the backup on a different usb but the same thing happened – program opens, seems to be going well – go to backup – same pop up. I looked on the Support page for Error 7033 but without finding anything. Can you please advise what to do.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited November 2018
    Hi Vince,
    Are you attempting save the backup to a USB/removable directory location directly? 

Is there any difference if you attempt to backup to a local destination such as Desktop, Documents etc.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Vince Mulkerin
    edited November 2018
    Hi Rav,
    I have tried both. I initially saved to the backup drive I have used since 2012, then a usb, then back to Documents on C Drive. Same problem each time. I uninstalled and reinstalled but same problem. When I restart the first screen is the are you a first time user radio button screen again adn go to File to open and again all works well until you go to backup. I will try saving to the desktop - haven't done that one.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    I would suggest opening the sample file first, activating the program and then RESTORING your data file from your backup Vince.
    If that fails I would do a clean uninstall and install again first using the sample data file to activate and then RESTORING your data.
    Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Vince Mulkerin
    edited November 2018
    Hi Robyn,
    Have now done both. The sample backs up without a problem but my previous QData file crashes. On my old computer the file saves without a problem.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    What version of the program did you have previously Vince?  Did you do a validate and a super validate on the old computer data file prior to backing it up?  If not I would suggest doing that first and then backing up on a fresh USB & restoring the new backup.
  • Vince Mulkerin
    edited September 2019
    Thanks Robyn,
    I have Personal Plus 2017 which was an update from 2012. I went to Help adn looked up how you validate and super validate, not having done that before. I have now done both and same crash.
    This is getting very frustrating and I may seek a refund from Reckon and just stay with 2017.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited November 2018
    Sometimes it's easier to see the actual data file and to see what is hapening Vince, so sorry it may take trial and error to trouble shoot without knowing your exact procedure of events.
    Can I please confirm you validated and super validated the data file on the OLD COMPUTER?  Then backed that up again?  Then tried to restore that on the NEW computer?
    Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Vince Mulkerin
    edited September 2019
    yes i vailidated and super validated on the old computer, saved to a new usb, opened the new quicken ticked the radio button to say i was a previous user then opened the file from the usb. the file opened, all my work on the old computer was there, i could add a new entry, click on backup, save to a new folder on the same usb and the program crashes and closes - with an apology for the inconvenience !
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited November 2018
    I would not open the data file from the USB Vince, I would RESTORE the data first onto the computer.  So open the sample data file then RESTORE BACKUP and restore the file on the USB to the computer first.
    If you need further help in doing this it might be easier to email direct: robyn@robynkelly.com.au and I use Team Viewer (www.teamviewer.com) to help on your computer, if you are interested.
    Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Vince Mulkerin
    edited November 2018
    It seems I had several 'problems' with the manner I was saving backup data files to an external drive. The file names were too long so when I had transferred the files to 2019 Personal Plus and a new computer with Windows 10 the backup, when restored couldn't find the file. Then Robyn supported me to run the program as administrator, change the file names in a new backup folder so they all had the same name. The problem I had encountered there was when I reopened I was given the Welcome screen again not the previous data. Making the new backup file on C Drive and the same extension names all sees to have fixed that.
    A very big thanks to Robyn for solving this issue (I hope!)
    Vince