Installation Interupted error | Upgrading to Reckon Accounts 2014

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
File downloads and when "Would you like to install now" appears, I click yes. "3837 file(s) upzip successfully". Ensure virus protection is switched off and click Begin at the Installation window. Then enter the installation key. Click "Install Now". Install the required components "Microsoft Runtime Library" by clicking next. Followed by............Installation Interrupted. Installation was interrupted before Reckon Accounts could be installed.
Photo of Perry S

Perry S

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Perry,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

If you are receiving the "installation interrupted" error please try the following steps;

Step 1: Copy the installation disk to a folder on your C-drive:

Step 2: Show Hidden Files and folders

Step 3: Switch to Selective Start up

Step 4: Enable the Built-in Administrator

Step 5: Install Reckon Accounts 2014

Step 6: After installing and activating, revert your PC to Normal mode

All should run as per normal.

Should you need further help on how to perform the above steps, please see this knowledge base article: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5107

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Mirko
Photo of Perry S

Perry S

Hi Mirko

Thanks for your reply. I've followed the steps in the knowledge base article but I'm still getting the Installation Interrupted error even after logging in as the administrator.
The Program Compatibility Assistant is suggesting that it is not the compatible with this version of windows.
Photo of Tim Capper

Tim Capper

• 60 Points
I'm getting the same problem on 2 machines  - 1 Windows 7, the other Windows 8.1.  Any progress with this issue?
Photo of Andrew Bricknell

Andrew Bricknell

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi all I also am getting this problem, to me it seems something to do with the runtime library not installing properly, short of reformatting  the whole machine I have tried all they have said here in the FAQS and tried putting the thing into safe mode as well, but nothing happens. I have ended up have to go back to the 2013 which install's flawlessly, so something has changed since that version.

Photo of Jason Beaven

Jason Beaven, Alum

• 1,086 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi All, 

Thanks for posting to the community,

We have identified that some printer monitoring software stopping the Reckon Accounts Business 2014 installer with the 'installation was interrupted error'. The workaround is to manually stop the printer monitoring services or the printer spooler service (which stops all other printer monitoring services) and carry out the installation, and then restarting the those services once the installation is completed. 

This has been reported to the Development team for further analysis. 

Detailed Steps:

1.       Go to Start Menu. 

2.       Type Services into the Search Bar (if Windows 8 just type Services into your Splash Screen)            then click on the Services search result

3.       View Services (Local)

4.       Go down the list of Services and right click on the Service called Print Spooler. 

5.       Right click on the Service and in the Menu select Stop the Service

6.       Close the Services Window

7.       Install Reckon Accounts Business 2014

8.       Restart Service as in steps 1-4

9.       Open Reckon Accounts 2014

Please reply with feedback if this has worked for you or you still have the error.

Jason.

(Edited)

Andrew Bricknell

Hi Jason, No sorry this didn't work either, whatever you install sequence for the 2013 version was, this worked perfectly here so just a thought, perhaps they could work it so as they could use that install software. Anyway I will just have to wait until they sort it out, Thanks.
Photo of Perry S

Perry S

No luck with this either Jason. Still the interrupt error persists.

Perry
Photo of Jason Beaven

Jason Beaven, Alum

Official Response
Thanks Andrew and Perry for the replies.

Please go through the steps again but with alternative instructions because we need to stop the dependencies associated with the Print Spooler service but RAB 2014 needs the Print Spooler service started for the installation to happen.

Detailed Steps:

1.       Go to Start Menu. 

2.       Type Services into the Search Bar (if Windows 8 just type Services into your Splash Screen) then click on the Services search result

3.        View Services (Local)

4.        Go down the list of Services and right click on the Service called Print Spooler. 

5.        Right click on the Service and in the Menu select Stop the Service (take note of any dependent services linked to the Print Spooler when stopped)

6.        (New Step) Restart the Print Spooler service

7.        Close the Services Window

8.        Install Reckon Accounts Business 2014

9.       Open Reckon Accounts 2014

10.      Once confirmed installed and working you need to restart the dependent services of the Print Spooler as noted before.

11.      Go to Start Menu

12.      Type Services into the Search Bar and open.

13.      In the list of Services, go through the list and look for any of the dependent service/s noted down and then right click and in the menu select Restart.

Please reply with feedback if this has now fixed the issue present.

Jason.

(Edited)

Andrew Bricknell

Hi Again Jason, Yes This has worked for me, I now have it installed and running, Linked to the printer spooler was the LPD Service and once that was turned off it seems to go through no problems. Thanks again for your help..
Photo of Thomas Lau

Thomas Lau

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
installation interrupted.

We have try install Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2014 but fail with installation interrupted
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Thomas, welcome to the Reckon Community. Please follow the steps provided by Jason, in this ongoing thread we have regarding the 'Service/Installation Interrupted' issue. Thanks.
Photo of Thomas Lau

Thomas Lau

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks! We can install it now.
Photo of Perry S

Perry S

Thanks Jason

Success. I neglected to restart the print spooler before installation.

Cheers
Perry
Photo of Jason Beaven

Jason Beaven, Alum

Thank you Andrew & Perry for the feedback and i'm glad you are up and running now.
Jason.
Photo of Mario Frukacz

Mario Frukacz

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi all. I am having the same issue as discussed. I am looking at moving away from MYOB and was looking at evaluating Reckon Accounts. I installed the trial version of accounts plus without any issues however realized it didn't support BOM's so uninstalled and tried installing the Pro version which does not install giving the same error as discussed. I have followed all solutions suggested with no luck. Can anyone help? I am running Win7-64.

thanks.
mario 
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Mario, have you tried Jason's above troubleshooting steps to get the installation to work? If so, did they work for you. Keen to hear how you went. ^Mirko.
Photo of Mario Frukacz

Mario Frukacz

Hi Mirko, yes I have tried all solutions suggested in this thread as well as numerous others. I am just surprised that the initial install worked however when re-installing the install falls over. I have tried the whole print spooler thing, enabled admin user, deleted registry entries, selective start ups and etc, nothing seems to work. :-( I really need to get this working cause I gotta get away from MYOB.
Photo of Mario Frukacz

Mario Frukacz

Hello Mirko... do you have any other options that I could try?
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Mario, sorry for the late reply, a little bit before your post, I had send this query off to our Technicians to look into alternative causes of this error and their solutions.
Photo of Tanya Metcalf

Tanya Metcalf

• 60 Points
Hi,  I am honestly at the end of my tether.  I have tried installing 2014 in excess of 20+ times.  Have followed all the above steps on numerous occasions, have even looked at other websites and tried the steps that they have advised.  IT WONT INSTALL!!!  I just don't know what to do next.  I have BAS over due and am falling further and further behind with my work.  HELP PLEASE!!!
Photo of Mario Frukacz

Mario Frukacz

Hi Tanya.. have you heard from Reckon support yet or have you been able to solve this problem? I am also waiting on a solution.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Mario & Tanya, I've followed up with the tech staff. They've advised that if the above steps have not worked it would require one to one assistance with the problem.

Mario - As you haven't been set up as a user, please email me at community@reckon.com and I'll have someone get in touch with you.
Photo of Mario Frukacz

Mario Frukacz

Hi Mirko.. I have the software working on my Win8.1 notebook so I'll use that while testing during the trial period. Over the Christmas break I plan to do a complete format and re-install of all software on my PC so I'll see if that fixes it.

thanks for your time. 
Photo of Adam Sellars

Adam Sellars

• 60 Points
Why on earth is installing an accounting program made so complicated that the employees can't give accurate instructions on how to install the program??

Can anyone explain why a print spooler (or more accurately the related TCP/IP Print Service) prevents an accounting program from installing? Yes, it prints data, but so does EVERY program, and NONE of them require a complicated solution that an employee needs 3 cracks at to get it right (which is no doubt after training and following other checklists with inexplicable steps such as "disconnect the internet"). It's not like Reckon is printing 4D reports on state of the art equipment...

This is the ONE reason why I recommend to every one of my clients to avoid Reckon like the plague. If the programmers are incapable of making it easy to install, how can I trust them to make workable software?
Readers of a recent article (Oct 2015):
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/uninstalling-trial-version-reckon-accounts-2015?utm_sourc...

may be interested in this comment/suggestion......

Reckon introduces its own Print device for PDF handling, and it would be interesting if the
answer to this query about why 'spooler' service needs to be stopped in order to permit either the uninstall of an old version or the install of a new version,  could not have administrative rights to force the close down of such a service.     

Installing other 3rd party PDF writers for instance has to deal with this aspect I'd have thought.  Food for thought for the development team.

Gary

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.