Problems after initial success after upgrading from CashBook2004 to Reckon Accounts Home & Business

Rocdearo
Rocdearo Member Posts: 4
Initially I successfully upgraded from CashBook 2004 to Reckon Accunts Home & Business 2015. I had to bring all the data files into Quicken 2005/2006 first, open them all, close v2005/2006, uninstall 2005/2006 and then install Reckon Accounts Home & Business 2015 from new CD. All went smoothly until I decided to move the Data file from the 'Quicken CashBook' program folder to the 'Reckon' program folder. After moving the file I could not get 2015 to work. I put the Data files back into the original location, but Reckon H&B 2015 still would not work. I uninstalled the 2015 software and tried to go back to the 2005/2006 software. That didn't work either. I was however able to reinstall Quicken CashBook 2004 successfully together with the original Data files, and 2004 is again working. What steps should I now take to get 2015 working. Being able to move the Data files is now a secondary consideration, but I would like to do that too. Thanks in anticipation for some help.

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Rocdearo,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

In what way was Home & Business 2015 not working?
    What error messages were you getting?

Did you know that when you launch H&B will it open the last filed opened?  

When you upgraded your datafile the process did not move its location - H&B 2015 was probably opening the file from the Quicken Cashbook folder.  When you moved that file H&B2015 still tried to open the datafile from the original location but now found nothing there.

In this situation, cancel the message and open the file from File > Open and browse to the new location to select your datafile.

As H&B datafiles have associated auxiliary files, its always best to move files by creating a backup (your last backup in the old version) and restoring it to a new location in the latest version.  

By the way,  the Program Folder is not the best location to store your datafile - its better in its own folder either directly in the C drive or in your Documents folder.  

regards,
    John

• Rocdearo
    edited June 2016
    Thank you John for your answer.  I am aware of the way to navigate to a different folder, and I am aware of the location of all the files that I work on.  However, after moving the data file the software would not stay open and the only option I had was to close down the program altogether.  This happened every time I tried to open Reckon Accounts Home & Business 2015.  I would appreciate any further advice.  Thank you.
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the update Rocdearo,

So you are saying that H&B 2015 opens, you can use it for a short time but then it freezes.  The only action left to you is closing down the programme (by clicking the red X or through the Task Manager?).

Were you able to open and work with the Sample file (C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Sample\Sample2.qdf)?

Which directory did you move your datafile to?  
    Was it the sample file directory above or something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Accounts Personal\?  The operating system does impose restrictions on the Program Files  folder and it is not an ideal location for datafiles.  Other locations are better - C:\ProgramData\.., Documents folder, or a folder on the C drive.  

Hope this helps to isolate the cause for your experience.  

regards,
    John.  

• Rocdearo
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for replying further John.  Unfortunately I have now gone back to CashBook 2004 and the CashBook 2004 Data files, so I can't give you any info re operating Reckon Accounts Home & Business 2015.
    What I can say is that when I had installed v 2015 I could open the software and the data files.
    However, after moving the Data folder (while the software was closed of course), when I tried to open the software again, it announced that it had to close.  I had no way of continuing .  The only choice was to exit!  It did not work, it did not freeze, all it would do was close itself down.  I don't remember the wording of the error message it presented me with while stating that the software had to exit.

I will try to go through the upgrade process again, but I will need to wait until I have a good block of time available in case I run into trouble again and have to contact support. 

I will try to locate the Data folder in a separate location directly on the C: drive and not within any Program Folder/s.  From what you have said this appears to be the best option.

Is there anything in the computer's registry that might be causing a problem?

Thanks again for your effort to help.  It's much appreciated.
    Regards
    Rocdearo
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the added info Rocdearo,

When you come to install again familiarise yourself with these posts:
    Quicken launcher errors
    Installation issues

There is a hint in your last comment that some software on your PC may be conflicting with RAP.  

Also, install not through the normal method from the Welcome screen,but go directly to the CD drive and the folder HAB\Disk1 and use the special installer ISsetup.exe.

regards,
    John