Problems with storing data files

Daniel_8925032
Daniel_8925032 Member Posts: 32
I have 2 licenses for Reckon Personal Plus 2016. The 2 licenses are necessary because we live in two separate places which means I need to change the data from one place to the other twice a year and I do that with a portable hard drive.
Because I have been using Quicken for a long time I have a vast number of data copies on both hard drives and as well as the portable hard drive. My problem is that with so much data I have trouble finding what I want and then saving it. Could someone please help me to clean up the mess remembering the Tax Office require data be kept for 5 years.
It is also worth mentioning I have three separate data files

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,378 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited May 2018
    Hey there Daniel,

How do you currently organise your files? Do you have a system or particular form of naming convention etc?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Daniel_8925032
    edited March 2019
    No the three different ones have recognizable names but there is no system
  • Ross_Aitken
    Ross_Aitken Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Daniel,

I do the same thing ... 2 licences, 2 computers in different locations and portable hard drive. I keep one data file as my current file. When I move locations the last thing I do is back up my data files (including quicken files) to the portable hard drive. I take the portable hard drive with me when I move. When I arrive at the new location the first thing I do is restore my data files to the computer at the new location, from the portable hard drive. This way I keep only one current file which is on the computer at my current location.

I am thinking of using Dropbox or similar to transfer the files as a backup system. I worry if the portable drive gets damaged.

You just have to work out a procedure then maintain discipline to use it.

Ross

• Daniel_8925032
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Ross. That is exactly what I do so what do you do with the old files? The many backups that have been occurring for years.Also, where do you copy the backup to?
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I would expect you know where the official/working copy of your files is stored at both locations. I would be creating a new directory on the back-up device so you have a history of backups, as you move between the 2 sites.

Back up the files individually and don't select the .rkn (.zip) compression, which achieves little. Also be careful as not all 7 files are updated on each use, so file date stamps can vary. I use Explorer to move files around, rather than RPP, so I know what is happening.

Does the working copy have all info "for a long time" ? Long ago, I once used the archive facility, which was a total failure. I keep all info live in my working data set, so no tax issues (now 23 years and more than 32,767 records which is an issue for reports).

You need to be disciplined like Ross, and make sure you are always using the latest data-set. There is no other way !

Just re-read you post:

* 3 data sets implies you must know how to move between the 3

* Use multiple back-up devices and alternate.

Again, discipline, as there is no other way ! 

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,223 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited May 2019
    Hi Guys,
    my thoughts are a little different
    I backup to Google Drive, also Onedrive and a portable hard drive with no main preferance.
    I always use the .rkn backup version as i only need to see and restore 1 file when i transfer from one computer to another.

This is applicable to all your data files.

Rename each file acordingly and make sure the name dont get to long as this can cause problems

Gerry

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Ross_Aitken
    Ross_Aitken Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hi Daniel

The backups that Quicken generates are saved in a specific directory. I have Quicken set to overwrite the backups after 5 files.

The other files on my portable drive are over written with new data when I backup just prior to a move.

I like Gerry's idea of a "cloud" solution.

Ross

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,223 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited May 2019
    Hi Daniel

Ignore the overwrite backup no. setting just tick the box to "add the date to a backup" in the Preference settings and you wont save over any existing backups ever, after a time you can go and delete older versions as the newer ones will have all the info of the old ones anyway.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Daniel_8925032
    edited March 2019
    Thank you all for your input. I have learnt a lot.
    I can gain access to my 3 current data files by clicking on them in the menu at the bottom. However, I am surprised to see 2 of the 3 have the following address:
    C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\ - followed by the name of the data file along with its identification number. Should they be stored somewhere else?
    Another question: I have the data files in the Documents folder? Is that where they should be? The backups are on the portable drive with a new folder name as suggested.
  • GerryWinter
    edited May 2019
    The recommended location for data files is in the top teir of C: i have created a Folder (PP Data) where i keep all my different company files just like you have. The backups can be anywhere.

If you find that the data files name sometimes changes you can always rename it in the drop down menu,File, File Operations, Rename  to the name you want.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Daniel_8925032
    edited March 2019
    For some reason or other my data file folder seems to have ended up in the documents folder. I can't remember putting it there but I must have. I would prefer it, to be like yours Gerry – in the top tier. Is it simply a matter of creating a folder there and moving the files over?
  • GerryWinter
    edited May 2019
    basicly yes

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"