Problems with updating and conversion

Ted Mason
Ted Mason Member Posts: 1
I am helping my daughter upgrade from QuickBooks Version 7.4 to the latest equivalent QuickBooks product.

She has been using Quickbooks Version 7.4.  She has had to get a new computer and has upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 64 bit.  We reinstalled Quickbooks but nothing would print. I gather she now needs to upgrade Quickbooks to a newer Reckon product.

Could you please tell me what Reckon product is the closest equivalent to what she is currently using?

She and her husband run a small business with no other employees so she doesn't need a payroll feature.  She doesn't require any additional features to what she has in the current version of Quickbooks 7.4.

We have tried the upgrade path by installing the download trial versions of QuickBooks 2002, 2007/2008 and QuickBooks Accounts 2014 but have run into multiple installation and conversion problems. She has two company files and, for example, in versions 2002 and 2007/2008, the company files will load and data will appear in various list windows but nothing is visible in the Navigator windows.  Also one company file has converted to the 2014 version but the other will not. It may sound as if I am a novice but I am actually an experienced IT person and have never had so many problems with other software.  I run Quicken 2010 for my own small business. 

We have decided to go ahead and purchase the necessary software including the DVD.  Would you please advise us does she need Reckon Accounts Plus 2014 or will Reckon Accounts Accounting 2014 be suitable.  Also, if we have the DVD would you anticipate any of the updating and conversion problems I have mentioned occurring again? Finally, does Reckon provide a service to do the file conversions for us?

Ted Mason

Comments

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Ted

Version 7 was released in 1999, and we are now on Version 23.  That's 15 years of versions from a version that was designed for and tested on Windows 98. Its not surprising that it doesn't work on Windows 8.  The upside is that it has worked for 15 years.  Not bad for a program that cost $200!

Turning to your specific question, you will need Reckon Accounts Plus if you want to upgrade and use your datafiles.  Reckon Accounts Accounting will not be able to open your existing files as it is from a different "family" to the version 7 files. 

Regarding the upgrade process, I do this on a fee-for-service basis. In general, it takes an 1+1/2 hours for the first file and an additional 1/2 hour per additional file.  You can contact me directly to arrange this at the email below.

Graham Boast
    Reckon Accredited Consuiltant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Kaye Levy-Andrew
    Kaye Levy-Andrew Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Hi there,
    I can relate to the above post totally! We also run a small business and have been using Version 7.4 since 2000 with no problems at all. In fact I love it! After our computer crashed and we replaced it with a new one running Windows 8 we found out that Version 7 wouldnt run on Windows 8. As it appeared we had no other option I purchased Reckon Business Range 2013. The guy from the computer shop then somehow got Ver 7 running on our new computer so I kept using it until now. I have tried to upgrade and have had no success. After phoning Reckon several times yesterday I was told it probably wont work because Ver 7 is not meant to run on Windows 8! Frustrating to say the least!
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2015
    Hi Kaye

I can do the upgrade from Win 7.4 to RA2013 on a fee for service basis if you are interested.

It is something that you can do yourself, and there are good instructions on how to do it, but it involves installing a number of versions and upgrading the file through these versions.  Its a pretty daunting and time consuming process if you haven't done it before.

Give me a call if you wish to discuss.

Graham Boast
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    www.reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

• Graham Boast
    edited June 2015
    Ph 0409317366