Processing a dishonoured cheque

Peter Bellis
Peter Bellis Member Posts: 1
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

How do I process the dishonouring of a cheque that was drawn to pay multiple invoices from a supplier?  Do I just void the cheque, or is there some "dishonour" transaction that allows me to do the payment reversal on an identified date, or do I need to do a journal?

Comments

• Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Hi Peter, are you referring to a dishonoured cheque from a customer or a dishonoured cheque made to a supplier? Just to clarify. Feel free to email me at sally@samsolutions.com.au if you want to take this offline. I can also do a remote login session with you if you like to go through it. Kind regards, Sally
  • Douglas
    Douglas Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2014
    Hi, I might experiencing the same problem. It's actually unpresented cheque from many years ago and I would like to write off by this year. Do you think I can simply delete the cheque or void the cheque? I just want to do the adjustment by this year and it won't affect previous year figures. 

Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017

Hi Douglas,

You will need to do a general journal entry to reverse the transaction as of a current date.

More than likely there will be GST (???) on the transaction which needs to be reversed.

If you void or delete it will affect previous years and have no affect on this year.

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh

sally@samsolutions.com.au

• Mel_6978702
    Mel_6978702 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Hello 

If I have a dishonoured cheque from my customer how do I process it please.

thanks
    Mel 
    edited February 2017

Hi Mel,

The best way to do this is to receive the payment as per usual > then write a cheque and allocate the account to your Accounts Receivable account at the bottom split then allocate that customer to that line > this will then put the balance owing back to their account.

Feel free to contact me at sally@samsolutions.com.au if you need.

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh

• Mel_6978702
    Mel_6978702 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Thank you Sally :) I ended up doing a general journal. Much appreciated. Have a great day :)