Program crashes on entering investment transactions

Gavin Clark
Gavin Clark Member Posts: 2
Every time I attempt to enter a transaction within one of my investment accounts, the program crashes. Each time it crashes I receive a different error code. Most recently, Error code 7332, then 7281. It provides a crash dump, and I have clicked "send" on the error report multiple times. However, I do not know how to respond.

I was using Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015. Then when I upgraded my operating system to Windows 10, I began having problems. I upgraded to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 with the hope that this would resolve the problems. It has not. I have been informed that I may upgrade to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2017 but do not have confidence that will solve the problem.

I have also un-installed and re-installed the 2016 program a few times without it solving the problem. As a result I'm guessing it's something to do with the data file? I have also tried running the program as administrator, in case it had anything to do with the user profile, but that also has not succeeded.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really hope I can solve this as our data file has history back about 10 years now, and to have upgraded without success will be an expensive experience if the program doesn't work.

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Gavin,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Crashes when entering transactions suggests a corruption in your datafile.  You should Validate your datafile and then SuperValidate it.  See this guide for more details.

Where an upgrade to Windows 10 is involved check out the suggestions here.

for other unexpected crashes check out the suggestions here.

regards,
    John
  • Steve_2218070
    Steve_2218070 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Hi Gavin, I was just wondering if you ever resolved this issue. I just made this post which is about a similar issue. I have tried everything mentioned in your replies but the problem is still there.
    Stephen
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Gavin, when you installed the program did you install as administrator?  Also have you tried right clicking on the desktop icon & run as administrator?  Also did you do a clean uninstall?  And have you tried on another computer?

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Steve_2218070
    edited November 2017
    Yes..same with me Dave. Nothing seems to make a difference. I assume that the file is corrupt and I am resigned to starting a new file which is a major pain. This is on Reckon; they don't seem address these issues, and the annual updates are incremental only. The UI hasn't changed in years, and it seems they only do the absolute minimum to keep the software updated. Just my opinion.
  • Gavin Clark
    Gavin Clark Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately, while the problem seems to have resolved itself, I was unable to identify what fixed it. I think it may have had something to do with the install on Windows 10 - installed as Administrator, but use the program from a non-Administrator profile on my computer. However, I also copied the data files across and cut-over to using them from a network drive, so that may also have had an impact - perhaps it cleaned up some old file path? Appreciate this will not be that useful to others, but wanted to round out on it. Agree there's no support for these issues - huge opportunity in the market for someone to build a robust, secure, cloud-based personal accounting tool with support for retail users. It's appears that's its not an opportunity that Reckon cares about.
  • Steve_2218070
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the update Gavin. The problem that I had temporarily resolved after a Windows update, then unfortunately the next time I started Reckon the problem of crashing when trying to enter investment transactions resulted in crashing again; very frustrating. I agree with your comments re Reckon.
  • David_9629383
    David_9629383 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2018
    Hi
    I am a quicken /reckon user of over 20 years.  I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and and my 2013 copy started crashing when I tried to enter share transactions.  As Reckon confirmed some features of 2013 may no be supported by W10 I upgraded to PP2018.  It made no difference.  I can enter transaction as soon as  Reckon is installed but if I shut down and come back to it crashes again.
    After reading the chats I have:
    http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5495
    Run qdata validation and Super validation
    Uninstalled and reinstalled (At least 10 times)
    Created a new data file and tried that
    Ran through the complete Clean Uninstall and Reinstall of Accounts Personal.instructions.
    If I want to enter an share transaction I must delete and reinstall Reckon each time.

Signed
    Desperately disappointed and in need of help.

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Those who are having crashing issues when entering investment transactions - are you able to confirm please if you use MULTIPLE securities with the same stock code?

I had a client with a similar problem and after making sure we only used one security with the stock code (this took some time to fix all transactions) it seemed to fix some of these issues.

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• David_9629383
    edited September 2019
    Hi Robyn
    Thanks for the feedback.  Like Diver Dave I am not sure what you mean by multiple securities.  For example Woodside's ticker is WPL.  As I am desperate and so I am clear do you mean have I accidentally assigned WPL to another security also?  If so the answer is no.

I guess I would like to hear from some one who has PP2018 on a windows 10 machine and can enter security transactions after shut down and start up.  That would give me some confidence that fault is with me.

Cheers
    Dave (not Diver Dave)
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited April 2018

Hi Dave

Yes - my client had created 3 different brokerage accounts (as an example) and then 3 different securities (slightly differently named) using the same ticker symbol

EG

Telstra (TLS)

Telstra Corp (TLS)

Telstra Corporation (TLS)

This was then causing issues obvioulsy.

So my suggestion is triple check all securities and Ticker Codes as posted in abnother forum thread (make sure AUS etc).  Even if they worked before it seems the new version is checking securities and how they are set up closer than previous versions of the software.

Hope this helps a little

PS I do not have a W10 machine to check this for you - I am still running W7.

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• David_9629383
    edited April 2018
    Hi Robyn, Thanks, looks like  a different problem
    Hi Dave.
    Here is the scenario
    I'm in my investment account and click "Enter transaction" to buy or sell or enter a dividend etc.  I am greeted with a pop up window titled "Reckon Accounts - Unexpected Error"  The error code changes but the latest one was 7288 and asks if I want to "send error report", I acknowledge and it sends the error report and gives me a reference, last one was 231351252.  Then I get a Windows message "Reckon Accounts Launcher failed" "Close Program". Reckon is now closed.  I can reopen it and do anything except enter and investment transaction.  Urgh!

Cheers
    David

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited April 2018

OK so what I believe is happening is that we are now up to version 2018, you may not be able to download share prices as your membership is out of date - this is possibly what is happening I would think.

Regards, Robyn

• David_9629383
    edited April 2018
    Hi Robyn, Thanks.  I don't think its a down load share price issue as it occurs during manual entry of share transaction not price update.   Either way membership is up to date as I purchased  PP2018 only 3 months ago
  • David_9629383
    edited August 2018
    Hi Dave, I feel it may be related to W10 compatibility as my 2013 version had the same problem when IT upgraded my laptop to from W7 to W10.
    Cheers
  • Steve_2218070
    edited April 2018
    Hi David,
    I had the same problem as you when entering share transactions. I do have a Windows 10 machine, but also had this problem on the previous Windows 7 machine. I have realised that the problem for me does ?not? occur when I run Reckon as an administrator. That is, right click the Reckon icon then choose "Run as Administrator". If this does not help I am afraid I have no other suggestions.
    Cheers
    Steve
  • David_9629383
    edited June 2018
    Hi Dave et al,  been sometime since I've been able to get back to this as i got a bit frustrated,.  Now that Tax time is upon me I need to enter my investment transactions.  I can only enter them by uninstalling PP2018 and then re-installing it again.
    I have validated an super validated and went through 3 page step by step instruction from reckon involving delete register keys and such.  Still no joy
  • Steve_2218070
    edited June 2018
    Hi Dave, are you running Reckon as an administrator?
    Steve
  • David_9629383
    edited July 2018
    Hi Steve, I travel quite a lot and find it tough to get the time to get back to this.  Now that I have prepare our SMSF tax I have to get it resolved.  Yes, I am running as an administrator.  Any other thoughts?
  • Steve_2218070
    edited July 2018
    Likewise, unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions. Running Reckon as administrator fixed this problem for me.?
  • David_9629383
    edited August 2018
    Hi. Thanks so much for your help. I apologise for any confusion in the version I am running. This is 2018 version. I contacted the forum after the upgrade from my previous version as it did not fix the problem. Cheers
  • Chris Fitzgerald
    Chris Fitzgerald Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    There may be an issue around the length of the path name where your data file is stored … I had it in C:\Users\firstname.lastname.domain\Quicken and Reckon Accounts 2018 crashed whenever I tried opening a foreign-currency investment account … after moving the data files to C:\temp or C:\Quicken everything works fine …