Quickbooks Premier 2008/9 - Back up doesn't work. Says to rebuild data and after the rebuild all dat

Gregg Appleby
Gregg Appleby Member Posts: 4
I installed a previous backup and reentered the data. Tried to backup and it wouldn't backup. I did not rebuild on the this occasion

Comments

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,060 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2019
    Hi Apples53,

Before you re-entered the data into the resulting data file that you restored, did you first check that it was error free (using the built-in file integrity checking function Verify Data)?

If you verify the data and it detects errors, it is best to first resolve those issues before embarking on any major data re-entry.

There is an error log called "QBWIN.LOG" that would show the errors detected in the file.

If there is enough detail found with regard to the problem, you may see dates, names, accounts, amounts or other descriptions that would allow you to identify the problem transaction or list area that requires further investigation.

The Technical Support Team may be able to assist you in identifying and resolving those issue.
    If after consulting with them they find that the issue would require further escalation, they can refer you to the Data Recovery Team.

* Data Recovery Team *
  • Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017

Hi Apples53,

If you click CTRL + 1 a product information screen will appear.

What release are you using (up the top)?

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh (Sally@samsolutions.com.au)

• Gregg Appleby
    edited March 2015
    Hi Sally,
    I looked at this earlier. It is R3. I have put R8 on another computer but this hasn't been used yet. 
    regards
    Gregg Appleby
  • Gregg Appleby
    edited March 2015
    Hi, 
    I thought I replied to you (new at this). I didn't verify the file initially but I put the original file on the computer and ran verify data, it went through without errors. This leads me to believe that the data error has happened since. I can still process atc with the bad data and export reports etc.

The data entry is a lot of reallocations and adjustments which needed to be made and these date back to 2010. Is this a coincidence that the original time I ran rebuild I lost all data from 2010 onwards.
    regards
    Gregg Appleby
  • Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017

Hi Gregg,

R8 was the final release of 2008/09 and thus that is the version you should be using.

However, 2008/09 was one of the worst releases of QuickBooks on the market ever!

You should really upgrade to the current version and I am fairly confident that the issue of rebuilding and losing data will not happen.

The rebuild and corrupting data was a huge issue in the R7 release of 2008/09, but you aren't using that one luckily!

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh (Sally@samsolutions.com.au)

• Gregg Appleby
    edited March 2015
    Hi Sally,
    Thankyou for your help
    kind regards,
    Gregg Appleby
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,060 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi Greg,

Before a rebuild is performed, the user is prompted to create a backup.
    This is as a safeguard in the event that any existing problems in the result in the rebuild process failing and the file being rendered unusable.

If the rebuild operation you performed somehow failed, then that may explain data losses.

We recommend that you engage with a Technical Support team member who can take a look at either your data file or the error log that results from a Verify Data operation (which is called the QBWIN.LOG).

* Data Recovery Team *