Quickbooks Pro 2003 upgrade on windows 7

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
I have installed quickbooks v8 on a windows 7 machine and have it fully registered.
Now I am trying to upgrade to 2003, but when I try and install the upgrade 2003 it is saying I dont have a registered copy of quickbooks.
V8 is registered and working fine.
I think the upgrade version cannot fine the registered copy.
How can I get pass this?
Photo of Ross Tangey

Ross Tangey

• 70 Points

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Robyn Kelly (Partner)

Robyn Kelly (Partner), Accredited Partner

• 4,930 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Hi Ross

This sounds like an issue with the old CashBook versions - are you definitley using QuickBooks or CashBook?

Thanks

Robyn Kelly

Photo of Data Rec

Data Rec, Employee

• 5,968 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ross,

Is V2003 the final version you are wanting to go to or are you simply in the process of step-upgrades to bring your older QuickBooks V8 data file to the latest Reckon Accounts 2017 format?

Regards,

Reckon Data Recovery Team
Photo of Vaughn Cooper

Vaughn Cooper

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Ross,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm encountering the same issue.

Fully registered Quickbooks Pro v.6 and trying to install our upgrade version of Quickbooks Pro 2005/06.

QB 6 installed on windows 10, registered and runs fine.

However when trying to install upgrade of QB 2005/06 we receive a "severe" error stating "A registered copy of Quickbooks was not detected on your machine. You must have a registered copy of QuickBooks on your machine before you can install a QuickBooks upgrade. The installation will now be aborted."

Would be great to know if anyone has solved this problem.

I suspect its a registry entry that the upgrade is looking for and cannot find due to newer version of windows, as it still works in XP Pro, but under Win 10 we receive the error above.

Kind Regards,
Vaughn.
Photo of Data Rec

Data Rec, Employee

• 5,710 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Vaughn,

QuickBooks 2005/06 would not have been tested under the Windows 10 operating system.

We recommend using the latest Reckon Accounts 2019 product on Windows 10.

If you want to continue with the older QuickBooks software, consider installing and running it inside a Windows XP virtual machine, on the Windows 10 operating system.

For example, you can use virtualisation software by VMWare, Microsoft HyperV, Parallels Desktop, Oracle VirtualBox.

Here is an example of how to install Windows XP inside a virtual machine.
https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/virtualbox/install-windows-xp-virtualbox-windows-10/

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
Photo of Vaughn Cooper

Vaughn Cooper

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Running a VM is exactly what we have been doing, but Im trying to get away from running XP within Win 10, hence the reason for attempting to install QB directly in Win 10.

Could you advise if it is a registry entry or file in a location that QB 2005/06 is looking for to verify that there is a registered version installed?

Kind Regards,
Vaughn.