Quickbooks pro saved my company file as an enterprise file, how do I open it?

Dan
Dan Member Posts: 6
edited August 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Quick Books Pro 2013 will no longer open my company files as it has saved them as enterprise files and will not open them.  How can I access my files?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2017
    Hi Dan,

How did this occur? Once a company file is upgraded to an enterprise version it cannot be reverted back. Did you send it to your accountant and now using the returned file?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Dan
    edited August 2019
    No, I did not.  I opened it in Reckon Account Pro and was working on it.  I backed it up and once the backup had completed it refused to open the file and other company files on my computer that were not recently backed up as well.  So all of my files that have been saved or updated using Reckon Accounts Pro 2013 are not able to be opened by the program as it reads them as Enterprise files.  I do not have enterprise and have never sent the files to anyone else to be opened.  The change happened within a second or two.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for getting back to me Dan, it sounds very strange!

Does the Sample File open correctly?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Dan
    edited August 2017
    Hi Kevin,  thank you for your comment.  I appreciate you and Rav taking the time to write back.  I agree with you that files don't magically upgrade, but here's the situation.  I have Quickbooks Accounts Pro 2013.  No other accounting software on my computer, no does anyone I know have any other software.  

I had to recently call Reckon to get a code to reinstall pro 2013 it as the one I originally had was not working.  Once I got it running I opened up and worked on my company file.  

The company file is isolated on my computer.  It has not been shared with anyone, was not sent to an accountant, nor was it knowingly accessed by anyone else.

I performed a routine backup of my company file, and upon finishing the backup, pro tried take me back to my file but was unable to and it gave me a message saying I can not open enterprise files on non enterprise software.  So I had never closed out the company file at any time during this process, I was working on it, backed it up (without closing quickbooks or the file) and upon the backup completing it would not return to the file.  

I do know that this sounds strange, but I am hoping to figure out what happened so it does not happen again.  I have been able to open up previous backups and regain access to my company files with only a marginal amount of data loss.  

The only way for user intervention that I can think of is if my files could have been accessed or saved as an enterprise file remotely, which seems highly unlikely as they would have to hack my wifi and be interested in my files, which is odd as I am in my garage office in the middle of Palmerston North in New Zealand.  

Outside of this possibility I would like to see if there is some glitch in the way pro saved the files that it interprets as enterprise files or something like that.  It also refused to open up other company files that had not been recently accessed saying that they were also enterprise files.  

One attempt to open a file told me that the file was currently being accessed by someone else, but only lasted for a few seconds (figured it was a glitch) and then gave me access.  This is also strange as no one has been given access to my files.  

I'm sorry for the story book response, but I thought as much info as possible may help to make a better diagnosis.  Thanks again for your help.
  • Andre Baruch
    Andre Baruch Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    I have the same issue that just happened.  I can open every other file in Reckon Accounts 2013 Premier (Upgrade 2) but not one particular data file.  It appears to have "upgraded" itself to an Enterprise file.  Any ideas?

• Andre Baruch
    edited October 2017
    And if there is no backup? Don’t ask ...
  • Andre Baruch
    edited October 2017
    I used the file. Closed it. Reopened it the next day (today) and got this message ...
  • Luc Marin
    Luc Marin Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    I have just been hit by the same problem using.Using QB SBE2011-12. Did a backup this morning and since have been getting the message at the top of the thread. Tried to restore from the backup and it's also the same. Am thinking something has happened to the QB program rather than the file(s). Called the Australian Reckon number. Totally unhelpful. Any updates from the people on this thread?
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited November 2017
    Hello Luc,

The most common cause for a Pro file to become an Enterprise file is it being opened by an Enterprise Reckon Accounts programme - by your bookkeeper, Accountant, or friend.  

If that is not the case then the most likely cause is the file header has become corrupt.  Your Reckon Accounts installation can no longer identify the edition of the file and throws up the spurious message that it can't open an Enterprise file.  You can test this idea by trying to open it an Enterprise edition - like on a Hosted trial, upload your company file and see if it can open it.  A corrupt file will result in an error message and the file not opening.  If it does open in Hosted then it was genuinely opened by an Enterprise version of Reckon Accounts.  

A corrupt header can be corrected by our Data Recovery group - request a service on their website.

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John
  • Luc Marin
    Luc Marin Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Kevin and John for your kind and thoughtful help. I have managed to get QB working again by using an automatic backup from Dropbox (version history) that was only a couple of hours older than the one that got corrupted. I have probably recovered all or very nearly all transactions.

Very scary ! Thank god for Dropbox - the actual QB backup was corrupt and the one before that was 2 weeks old...

- Any advice on general .QBW hygiene routines? (Verify, Rebuild, CleanUp? - can they do more harm than good?)

-  I almost downloaded "Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks® Software" to see if the corrupted data fle could be fixed. Does anyone have any experience with this program?

Again - thanks for your help. - Luke

This discussion has been closed.