Can I cancel old stock items when I reach the total Items limit of 14500?

Options
Rick Vela
Rick Vela Member Posts: 23
edited February 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
We were listing new items in quickbooks and it came up that we can not add anymore items as it can't exceed 14500, what do we do? can we cancel old stock items and free up space ..... I have no idea ..... help please.

Comments

• Zoe Rickard
    Zoe Rickard Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Rick, 

You cannot delete the items if they have been used in a transaction.  You could create a generic item, reassign all the transactions of the items you want to delete, and then delete the items. However that would probably entail a lot of work. 

Have you thought about upgrading to Reckon Accounts Enterprise? As it does not have the same restrictions, not sure if it is 1 million items or unlimited. 

Kind Regards, 

Zoe
    e:zoe@calculation.com.au
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hello Rick,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Unfortunately there are limits to lists in Accounts Business.

You can't delete items you have used in the past and no longer require, as these contain important information for your file.

You have two options:
    1. Start a new company file and enter only your active items;
    2. Upgrade to Enterprise (or Reckon Accounts Hosted) where the list limits are generally expanded, and in the case of Items, we've tested it to 100,000.
    regards,
    John

• Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hi thanks guys thanks for the prompt replies, we tried to make the items inactive and that doesn't work and also as said above we cant delete items, basically we are being punished by reckon for using there software over a long period of time, it has taken us 10 years to work up that many items and have we have been aware we could have taken steps along the way to re-use product numbers.

John G is it hard to transfer over just active items to a new file.

Thanks again for the helps guys it is very very much appreciated.
    Rick

• Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    One can say enterprise is out of the question for the $5000 they want I will start using a jewellery specific software package. So we are looking at either starting a new file or merging the items as Zoe has said above. I have a bookkeeper who does all this stuff usually but I am pretty sure she would not have come across this problem before.... would you be so kind as to list the processes involved in transferring over just active items or process of  Zoe's solution above, once again eternally indebted to you for the help, good karma will be coming your way.

Thanks Rick
  • John G
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi Rick,

We have a comprehensive guide on starting a new company file at:  http://kb.reckon.com.au/kb/issue_view.asp?ID=4675

Its a meaty document but in there you will find a lot of useful tips including how to export lists and to import them in a new file.

The export lists can be opened in an Excel file and edited before importing into a new file.

If you have more questions concerning these processes, check out the in-product Help Menu or search our knowledgebase browser at: http://kb.reckon.com.au/kb/search.asp

Transferring to a new company file does take some time and it is worth spending some time planning the changeover.  

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John

• Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    John you are a good man, I will look into it over the weekend ..... we have had a heck of the day in the shop, its a full moon and all sorts were out today.... this issue just topped of what has a been a really interesting day.

Have a nice weekend and thanks again.
    Rick
  • Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hi just wondering if I could ask one more question.... I have just gone through and updated an old stock number with new details, new supplier / description / cost / retail price, it has transferred through to the retail portion of quickbooks without any problems, can anyone see a problem doing this for the next couple of months until I update quickbooks and when I do this I will create a new company file as is talked about above.

Thanks in advance Rick
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hello again Rick,

That's an interesting way around the problem.

However with Inventory Items, Accounts Business is tracking the Avg Cost from all your purchases, so past purchases of the old item may filter through to the new item.  That then flows onto to your Gross Profit calculation on the P&L Report.

One trick I have found is that if you send the Inventory count for an item into negative, then the Avg Cost calculation starts again from your first purchase to bring your inventory count back into positive.  You'll need to test this out for your circumstances before relying on it.  

Hope this helps,

regards,
    John
  • Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hi John thanks for the reply, but if the new item has a new cost price and retail price I can't see why it should effect your P & L. These things are always designed to make life hard I am just trying to sort out a way to keep things going a little longer so I can do a full stocktake and start a new company file so that everything is accurate.

While I have you another quick question, my bookeeper has noticed a glitch in our reporting we have items coming through that have a GST value higher than what they should, it sells for say $66 but has a gst value of $30 we can't find a pattern or reason its seems random, got any idea with this one?
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Rick,

For Inventory Items (and not other items like Service), Accounts Business will track the Avg Cost which it determines from all your purchases of that item.  You can rename the item, change its account associations and buy and sell prices, but that won't change the Avg Cost.  This Avg Cost is used to determine the Cost of Goods Sold when you sell it.  

In regard to your GST problem, are you using a default tax code (GST) or are you using a customised tax code?  Check the item's Tax Item setup (go to the Tax item List) and ensure it is set at the correct percentage.  

Next, resort the Tax Item List and the Tax Code List.  

If you still have the problem Rebuild and then Verify your company file.  

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John.  

• Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hi mate thanks for the reply we are using the provided GST code, its not across the board just some random ones that jump out, I will follow your advice and rebuild the company file.

Back to original problem if the items are similar in price would it pose to large a problem, say the first item was $10 cost and $29 retail and second item was $12 cost and $32, I can understand if first was $10 and second was $1200 at cost we could have large problems.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks for all the help thus far, its great to be able to run this stuff by someone.
  • Rick Vela
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I re read what you said in regards to av cost of item when sold, if the item was at 0 quantity and you re-enterd a new stock item would the av cost of the item sold be just that one item, I can understand if there was already and item in stock and you entered a new item it would then give an average, but the average of one items price is that one item.

What am I missing buddy?

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Rick,

That is something you have to evaluate and decide according to your circumstances.  

If you have a large number of Inventory Items that you are adjusting, keeping track of these differences could get well out of hand.  

Do keep in mind other  parties that have an interest in your accounts (Accountants, Auditors, ATO) may not be as accommodating towards short-cuts.

regards,
    John
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Rick,

Sorry I missed your latest post.

When the Item Inventory holding drops to zero it does not lose track of previous purchases.  When you build your stock up it will still use total purchases of this item in this file to determine the Avg Cost.  

Only when the Inventory Item holding has been sent below zero that I have noticed  a tendency for the Avg Cost calculation to start again.  This behaviour you do need to check for yourself as we do not have extensive files to check out this behaviour thoroughly.  Our usual recommendation for correcting out-of-line Avg Costs  is to start a new file.  Most Avg Cost issues derive from an incorrect use of Units of Measure.  

Hope this adds some clarity to the issue.

regards,
    John
  • Peter Quinby
    Peter Quinby Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Rick - regarding the GST being out of whack by a (sometimes) long way - do you use Retail POS? If so do you change prices in Retail POS? And do you have the "Amts inc tax" field checked for these items in Accounts/QBooks?
    Our experience is that this is a fairly reliable way to totally stuff up your GST amounts in Accounts. Quicken's response was "do not change prices in Retail POS". I await the refund for that bit of functionality...
    I should add that I have been told that the Australian version's API has a bug where it ignores the "Amts inc tax" field, and I've also found that imports from Excel to update items ignore that same field for existing items and just go with what's already in Accounts, which has interesting results for your pricing.
  • Rick Vela
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hi Peter ....Yes we use the retail POS and yes we use the price override function a lot, everyone expects a discount in a jewellery store lol ..... it kind of does my head in when you sell an item for $25 and it has $23 worth of GST recorded against the sale .... perhaps the ATO has struck a deal with Quicken and they receive a cut of the profits .... what ever the cause its a bug that should not be there and that costs me money every year in paying a bookkeeper to manually override the transactions ..... like you Peter I will await a cheque in the mail for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the response.
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hello Rick & Peter,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  

This POS issue was identified a year ago and I am pleased to say that it is being addressed in the 2014 version.  

POS 2014 is scheduled for release in May and I recommend you upgrade to this version.

To correct the errors in Accounts Business/QuickBooks now, export the Items List to an IIF file and Import that list. The import will reset the Net price of items marked ‘Amts Inc Tax’ based on the new Gross price and Tax Code. No changes will be made to items with ‘Amt Inc Tax’ not ticked.
    1. File > Utilities > Export > Lists to IIF files;
    2. Tick Item List > OK
    3. Choose a Location (Save In box), name the file and click Save;
    4. File > Utilities > Import > IIF files;
    5. Select your saved IIF file > Open;
    6. Click OK on Your data has been imported;
    7. View the Item List and check that Net prices are now correct.
    Now post your data to POS to ensure that both POS and Accounts Business have the same values.  

Please note that while you have Amts Incl Tax ticked, you'll need to carry out this step every time you change a price in POS and post back to Accounts Business until you upgrade to 2014.

Our apologies for the inconvenience this issue is causing you.

regards,
    John.

• Peter Quinby
    Peter Quinby Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks for that, but we have stopped using the price change option in POS for now. I would comment though that membership of Advantage (or whatever it's called for Accounts) is supposed to give us access to fixes but the only "fix" we ever seem to get is the annual tax tables, no fixes along the way as used to happen a few years ago. To add insult to injury, last year's tax tables were actually the same as the year before!
  • Kim Horn
    Kim Horn Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi John G, I have just tried to access this link as we are looking at starting a new company file but last time I tried, I think I really buggered it up.  Could you please advise if you still have the information for starting a new company file?  Thanks & Regards Kim.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,391 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Kim,
    Try this out -
    http://library.reckon.com.au/library/pdf/qbi_new%20File%20in%20QBi%204.pdf

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Kim Horn
    Kim Horn Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Awesome Thanks

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just as a note.  I have found a way to consolidate old stock items as a workaround.
    1.  this can only be done in single user.  bummer.
    2.  make a new stock item called OLD STOCK
    3.  rename the stock item that you want to cull to the OLD STOCK
    4. this will merge them together but does not lose the audit trail.