Quickbooks Pro 2013 crashes when opening pdf's stored within Quickbooks

Keith Friend
Keith Friend Member Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi,

I am using Quickbooks Pro 2012-2013 and every time I try to open a pdf stored within the program, be it a statement or an invoice, the program crashes and closes back to the operating system.

I have tried it with both Adober Reader and Adobe Acrobat Pro, and it crashes with both programs.

Both Adobe programs work outside of the Quickbooks environment.

Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Adobe Acrobat XI Pro 11.0.07
Adobe Reader X 10.1.10 (just updated from Adobe website.. and still crashes QB)

I would appreciate some help on this problem.

Cheers

Comments

• Deny Dharmawan
    Deny Dharmawan Alumni Posts: 141
    edited August 2016

Hi Keith,

Are you saying that you can create PDFs (invoices and staments) from Quickbooks, but when you try to open the PDF, Quickbooks crashes? Or Quickbooks crashes when creating the PDF?

If Quickbooks crashes when creating the PDF, you can try checking the setting for QBV303 PDF converter. Below is an article from our knowledge browser on it.

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=3577

Regards,

Deny Dharmawan

• Keith Friend
    edited May 2014
    Hi Deny,
    Thanks for your reply,

The pdf's have been created externally to Quickbooks and then saved with the transactions/accounts.

When I then try to open the pdf within Quickbooks it gets upset and closes back to the OS. I can open the pdf's externally to the program and the docs are okay, ie no crashes from adobe.

Quickbooks uses the program associated with the "pdf" extension to open the file from within Quickbooks. I changed this association to see of it was the  default program that was causing the issues. It did not change the behavior. 

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Keith,

Please elaborate how you attached a PDF document to QuickBooks 2012-13.  

Attaching documents is not a feature of QuickBooks or Accounts Business range.  It is a feature inside the Quicken and Accounts Personal range.  

regards,
    John

• Keith Friend
    edited May 2014
    Hi John,

Oops, I am using both Reckon Accounts Home & Business 2013 and Pro.. for business..
    The Home & Business 2013 is the one playing up with the pdf's.

Sorry for the misinformation..

Although it would be a good feature to incorporate within the Pro version as well..

Thanks
    Keith
  • Keith Friend
    edited May 2014
    Hi Reckon,

I have just uninstalled and re-installed Home and Business 2013 and the problem still exists...

Any thoughts??...

Cheers
    Keith
  • Deny Dharmawan
    Deny Dharmawan Alumni Posts: 141
    edited August 2016

Hi Keith,

You can try to delete the Home and Business 2013 print file, which is located below.

C:\Users\<logged in user>\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\wpr.datAlso try to check file association in Windows 7, try to assosiate .pdf to your adobe reader.

When you reinstall Home and Business 2013, were you logged in as the local administrator?

Regards
    Deny Dharmawan
  • Keith Friend
    edited May 2014
    Hi Denny,

Deleted the wpr.dat... still won't allow me to open pdf's within H&B 2013.. result H&B crashes to OS..

I had changed the association previously from adobe acrobat to adobe reader, the result was the same for both associations. Just checked again... same results...

I am the administrator for the PC and I re-installed the program... so yes to your last question...

Just solved it....mmmm...

When I checked the shortcut properties, it was starting in Windows XP compatibility mode, as it has all along, so I unchecked this box... and bingo it worked...

changed it back to compatibility mode and it crashes out again...

Go figure....???...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.