Quicken 2008 won't start

Lindsay Graham
Lindsay Graham Member Posts: 12
I've used Quicken 2008 successfully under Windows 10 for many months.  Suddenly, I can't get the program to start -- from Start or Run as administrator or by trying to execute qw.exe.

I'm aware that Reckon no longer provides support for Quicken 2008 and I've seen other reports that it is not compatible with Windows 10.  But it's worked OK for me thus far -- what has caused it to suddenly stop working?

Comments

• Lindsay Graham
    edited September 2019
    Thanks, Kevin.  My system is currently at v1809 and I don't allow Windows to update without advising me.  My update history shows Feature Updates (latest is v1903 failed to instal on 1/9/19), Quality Updates ( latest, all on 11/9/19, were Adobe Flash Player, .NET Framework and W10 update KB4512578), Definition Updates (Windows Defender Antivirus every day) and Other Updates (nil since 20/8/19).
    Problem is that I've used Quicken 2008 many times after 11/9/19 without any problems, so Windows update seems unlikely to be the culprit.
    Any other ideas/suggestions?
  • Lindsay Graham
    edited September 2019
    No, Kevin -- should I?  I thought that as the only updates had been well before Quicken stopped working, a system restore would probably not help.  How might it help?
  • Lindsay Graham
    edited September 2019
    Sorry, Kevin, am I sure about what?  I asked a couple of questions, and I'd be really grateful for any help.
  • Lindsay Graham
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for the offer, Kevin -- are you in Australia? 
    However, good news.  I use Syncback for daily backups and I noticed that the log said Quicken files were open and locked (even though I've not been able to open Quicken) and therefore could not be backed up.   Right click on the exe file (qw.exe) had an option 'Unlock', so I did (never used it before).  Took 10-15 mins and the result said 89,129 file handles had been scanned and the file had been unlocked (by a utility Kerish Doctor).  Today, Quicken opens and, so far, all seems OK.
    Any thoughts?
  • Lindsay Graham
    edited September 2019
    Yes, except that there was no indication that the file was in use, as Quicken appeared to me not to be open.  I generally ensure that Quicken is closed when SyncBack runs, but occasionally I forget and SyncBack simply tells me that it couldn't backup Quicken.  But never before has that resulted in not then being able to open Quicken. 
    I prefer to include Quicken in the backup process -- I'll just have to always remember to make sure it is closed <g>.
    Thanks for all your help -- I'm in Canberra.