Quicken 2011 no longer converts Quicken 2004 files

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago

Recently had to reinstall Q2011 onto a new SSD. Prior to this Q2011 converted Q2004 files from another computer without any problem. Now cannot open even though required dll is present.

Error message: quicken\convert03\qd3.dll missing Error 7206

Photo of Brian Kempson

Brian Kempson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Brian

A little more clues please.  You say you have a new SSD.  Did you put the bootable operating system afresh onto this SSD?  IE:  Is this a system rebuild or just an add-on SSD alongside some other disk drive already containing the host system for your device?  

I'm wondering if you've loaded a whole operating system, plus JUST v2011 onto a clean disk, and left off any pre-requisite older files relating to what would have been the case, had you put the traditional operating system, and the original 2004 product like you 'used to run'  on this new  "SSD" ?

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of Brian Kempson

Brian Kempson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Hi Gary

I had Q2011 installed on a lap top with a single HDD. 

Q 2004 was on my PC. This is my primary data file that I backed up twice a week onto the lap top with the 2011 installation doing the conversion.

I replaced  the HDD in the lap top with an SSD, there is no secondary drive, and this was a clean installation.

Thinking that I could simply install Q2011 onto this new SSD and that it would continue to convert my Q2004 files from the PC without any problem, I did not see the need to keep the back up converted files - silly me!!!

i.e. I have a PC with Q2004 installed, working correctly, backed up and up to date with data going back to 1995 but with no way of converting the files should that system fail or be replaced.

I am about to replace the PC and I am worried that Q2004 will not reinstall & work properly.  I will then have 20 years worth of data that will be inaccessible!!

So I am trying to find a way to convert the Q2004 files ASAP.

P.S. I do have discs for both Q2004 & Q2011.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Brian

I still believe the issue rests with lacking 2004 as a baseline version of the product on the LAPTOP's new  SSD underneath the 2011 on the laptop.

It is possible that many year ago when you first setup your laptop,, that you had 2004 on it like the PC.  IE: identical structures.

Your mission shold be to
a)  Check the existing PC is still running 2004 OK.   **DONE**
b)  Get 2004 running on something else,  to be able to run in 2004 mode somewhere else.   **TO DO**
c)  Then look at the final step of being able to subsequently convert 2004 files into 2011 files.

You could trial this on an associate/friends PC in trial mode perhaps,  to get your confidence up.

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
Brian

IN parallel to you asking this question, there is a similar forum article with "John" over here:
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/quicken-2004-to-2009-file-conversion?utm_source=notificat...

Gary
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,148 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Brian,

The error message indicates that you need to step upgrade your file through a 2006 version first. See your Installation and Upgrade guide.  The guide for the current 2015 version is available here.

Upgrade programmes are on your installation disk.

In Brief:
If you are upgrading a file to Reckon Accounts 2015 directly from Quicken 2004 (or earlier) and receive the following data conversion error:   

Unable to load DLL: C:\Program Files\Quicken\convert03\qd3.dll
Required dlls for converting your data file is missing

Then you will need to upgrade your file through an intermediate version of Quicken (either Home & Business 2005/06 or Personal Plus 2006 or Personal 2006).

Note:
If you are upgrading from CashBook V8, CashBook 2003 or CashBook 2004 then you will need to upgrade to the Home & Business 2005/06 trial before upgrading to Home & Business 2015.

If you upgrading from Personal Plus V8, Personal Plus 2002 or Personal Plus 2004 then you need to upgrade to the Personal Plus 2006 trial before upgrading to Personal Plus 2015.

If your upgrading from Personal V8 or Personal 2002 or Personal 2004 then you will need to upgrade to the Personal 2006 trial before upgrading to Personal 2015.

hope this gets you going.

regards,
John
Photo of John Fitzsimons

John Fitzsimons

• 60 Points
Hi brian,

I only use the investment component of Quicken 2004 and  when Win 10 blew up I lost all the programs on the HD.  I also cannot find my original copy of 2004.  If you do not need your 2004 anymore may I buy it off you please. Alt is there anyone out there that I can buy from.

Regards johnF