Quicken 2015 Personal Plus to open Quicken 2013 backed up file

Options
Murray Thomson
Murray Thomson Member Posts: 3
I use Reckon/Quicken Personal Plus 2013 on a PC that is about to be retired. I am unable to find the instal disk. Though I am a registered user. I have installed the 2015 Trial version on the new PC, intending to open the backed up 2012 file from there. but it wont open it. What other options do I have, I am happy to purchase 2015 but it appears that it may not be able to open my backed up 2012 files?

Comments

• Dan Fardon
    Dan Fardon Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2017
    Options

Using your old computer and Reckon 2012,  copy your existing file to a USB disk. This will mean that you will have a real Reckon file and not a back-up.

Then 1. Plug the USB disk containing your copied Reckon file into your new computer. 2. Using Windows on your new computer, copy your Reckon file from the USB disk to your new computer. 3. On your new computer, open Reckon 2015 and open your Reckon file which you have just copied to your new computer.

Before doing any of the above, I would A. 'Clean' my Reckon file on my old computer by deleting any unnecessary memorized transactions, budgets etc. B. Make copies of any important notes attached to transactions. C. Make a list of your Scheduled Transactions.

I also copy Reports of Account Balances, Cash Flow by Tag etc. to an Excel Workbook regularly and before upgrading.

Hope this helps.

Dan Fardon

• Murray Thomson
    edited May 2015
    Options
    HI Dan Thanks for your reply. A couple of questions before I I attempt this What is the folder the data file is likely to be in on my older computer What will be its name Thanks Murray
  • Dan Fardon
    Dan Fardon Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Murray,

You don't need to know where  your Reckon is located.

To copy your 2012 file to a USB, do the following.

1. Plug a USB disk into your old computer.

2. Open Reckon on your old computer, and in the Menu at the top of the Reckon screen, click File, then scroll down to File Operations , and click the arrow at the right hand side of that line and click Copy.

3. A window stating "Copy the current file" will appear,  and a click button named "Browse"

4. Click Browse. This will open the folder containing your Reckon file, and the Folder name and location will appear at the top of the screen.

5. Using Reckon, then copy your file to your USB disk, but I would delete the suffix Copy from the file name which Reckon suggests.  Reckon will then copy the full set of files which comprise your total Reckon file to the USB.

When you copy your file from the USB to your new computer, you will need to copy the full set of files to your destination folder.

Alternatively, you could open your Reckon file on the USB using Reckon on your new computer, and use the method I have described above to copy it to where you want it. 

I have the Reckon file I use for our own finances in one folder, and the Reckon file I use as Treasurer of a charity in another folder.

I hope this helps.

Dan Fardon

• Murray Thomson
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi Dan

Followed your very clear instructions  and I now have it runniong on new computer
    Thanks very much

Much appreciated

Regards

Murray