quicken pp 2016 problems in portfolio view

Options
Mike Nagel_7912525
Mike Nagel_7912525 Member Posts: 2
Since upgrading to PP 2016 I have problems whenever I am in portfolio view in investing centre. All other views are working ok & share prices are updating ok
When loading that page it is very slow & takes about a minute to load all shares (I have 18 shares in my portfolio) When I want to change to another date in that view I often get a not-responding message & then it loads line by line very slowly.
If I want to change to another view I get a non responding message (only in portfolio view) & have to try several times. Once in the other views eg personal cash flow which list all my bank accounts evrything works ok.
I have tried validating the file several times but that has made no difference.
I have been using Quicken since 1996 & have done all the updates in the past with no problem but of course there are a lot of share transactions, prices etc accumulated since that time.
I am running Windows 7 on a quad core machine with 4GB RAM & all Windows updates are installed.

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mike,

This is a problem which many of us RPP users know of. It has been with RPP for a number of years.

The problem is that the method used by RPP to find the price of all shares for the displayed date is very inefficient. It must scan the .qph file for each company that you are displaying. You would think that this should have been improved by now. Surely RPP could recognise that if no share prices were updated, then it should be able to retain the appropriate price of all companies in the system, with the retained prices only being updated if there is a change to price values or a change of display date. If prices were indexed in a reverse ordered sequence, this scan would also be much quicker. Displaying the current (latest) price should not even require accessing the file, but for some reason it does.

As it is, the screen flickers and the prices are being repeatedly updated. I wonder how frequently this price update is being done, as it appears to be multiple times.

Again this is a known and reported problem that does not appear to have been addressed. We can only wait !

John

• Mike Nagel_7912525
    Mike Nagel_7912525 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks John, it's strange this has happened for the first time for me after the PP 2016 upgrade, 2015 PP was always OK. Do you know if there is anyway of making the file smaller so it loads faster but without loosing my history if I want to go back to it?
    Mike
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mike,

Sorry, but I do not know how to control this response.

I had this response with RPP 2013, skipped RPP 2015 and it still occurs with RPP 2016. My share prices go back to before 96.

I attributed the cause to when the .qph file size exceeded a certain size. If you could run on a good SSD, this could help, although with Win 7 or later, the file I/O should be buffered. It is not a big file.

There is definitely something causing the RPP to wait, which Reckon should be analysing.

John

• gavin.nicholson.au
    gavin.nicholson.au Member Posts: 78
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have a look at the columns you are displaying. If you remove any historical calculations like 5 yr average you will probably find it gets better.
  • Babi
    Babi Alumni Posts: 75
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello Mike,

I would also say, if you could try the link below, if that can be of any help,

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4647

Apart from that, make sure antivirus is turned off and you can also try running Program in admin mode, see if that do any better?
    To run as admin>

Right click on icon> Run as admin

Regards,

Babi