quicken online services license renewal.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
My quicken pro 2012 has informed me my quicken online services license has expired (go figure) and to renew I need to apply (purchase of course) an update. The problem exists in that I cannot find where I purchase the license without purchasing a whole new software pack (assume Pro 2013 or 2014) at around $220 odd dollars. Please tell me the renewal is easier than buying the latest full version and not as costly as buying the whole bundle again??...
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 372 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Wayne,

So long as you purchased your product outright, you do not need to purchase a new license. Licenses do lapse every 3 years, but you can get them reactivated for free. All you would need to do is contact our customer service team on 1800 RECKON.

You may find the following of interest;

Difference between subscription and full version/outright purchases: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/what_is_the_difference_between_an_annual_license_and_a...

Info on license lapsing and reactivation: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/why_do_i_have_to_reactivate_every_3_years

Thanks,
Mirko

Photo of Hop Cross

Hop Cross

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I don't get the licence lapse periods. I have Quicken Personal 2011 Release R 1 that I have been using for a number of years and the licence information panel tells me that it will expire in 2021 which is nothing like the 3 years mentioned. Does that mean in 6 years time my software will stop working? I ask that because I can't find a replacement product. Does one even exist?
Photo of Hop Cross

Hop Cross

I read the information in that link prior to posting. In my case it will be about 9-10 years from when I started using the software until it is due to lapse not 3 lots of 3 years. That's what I don't understand.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Unsure about that occurances. It generally asks you to re-register every 3 years. The license will not die after 2021 but will need to be extended. If you are looking to upgrade to a newer product Personal Plus 2015 would be the comparable product.
Photo of Hop Cross

Hop Cross

Thanks for the response. It's a shame the less expensive Personal version is no longer available.

Photo of Wayne

Wayne

Thanks for the reply Mirko. I followed the advise, but turns out this is not the case. The license to download stock market data (online service license) expired after 2 years and then requires an upgrade to Quicken at a cost of around AUD$150. The program is re-loadable, but this small internal function (stock market downloads) expires and requires the user to upgrade to enable it again. What an absolute rip off (in my opinion). This obscure feature has me looking for an alternative, buy knowing how the world operates these days - I'm sure most are similar. Who would think when you buy a software package you'd then be required to upgrade it, when you actually get no new functionality - just access to data which is free to get off the web anyway.

Bring back MS Money I reckon....
Photo of Judith Davis

Judith Davis

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
When I paid for my license to Reckon I received no tax schedule for 2013-14.  This is the first time in ten years that my license renewal has not given me the current year tax schedules.  I just get the stock market share prices which I can get from the ASX, newspapers etc.  Not a happy person.  JD
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

While doing some further research on the ‘quicken online services license renewal’ question I raised, I found two interesting articles dated some years back:

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/refunds-upgrades-over-reckon-limited-terms-and-conditions

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/software-company-offers-refunds-free-upgrades-after-accc-inquiry

Interesting reading, but irrelevant nowadays I would surmise; as the asterisks (or similar) on the box (or what the salesman may have been obligated to tell me when I purchased the product) addressed any past oversights. Clear as a bell, and the consumer is well informed at point of sale and there is no ambiguity.... Silly me for asking such an obvious question in a forum like this... Sorry for wasting reader’s time – you already know the answer and have ‘upgraded’ as the license renewal (and/or your particular circumstances) has demanded....
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Wayne, apologies for the misunderstanding on my part. My understanding of your post was that it related to reactivating Quicken Personal itself (which is explained in one of the links I supplied), which is totally free. The Share Price download is a 2 year license which is part of the software. To have the Share Price download reactivated will require an upgrade to the latest version. Alternatively, if you do not wish to upgrade, you can manually update the prices. Thanks, Mirko
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

Thanks for the reply and clarification Mirko. I'm finding out about the regular license renewal (I think calling it an upgrade is incorrect - I've gained no new functionality in the 'upgrade' - just restoring what I had) now after the issue and as you can probably tell - I'm not happy with what I've found nor the way the fine print and/or salesman supposedly informs me at point of sale.... I'm certainly considering an alternative product and one which will import historical Quicken data.
Photo of alison steel

alison steel

• 60 Points

I have had the above message for Quicken personal and I can find no number or email that works - I am in NZ.  The numbers and emails given online just bounce back.    I am leaving to go overseas in a day or 2 and want to get into my legally purchased copy working .  HELP!!

Please email me
(Edited)
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Alison,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

The message relates to Online Services like the Share Price Update.  it will not prevent you using your copy of Quicken.  

To maintain your access to online services, in New Zealand call 0800 447 292 or 9414 3650.  You can also upgrade on the Estore at https://www.reckonestore.co.nz/

regards,
John
Photo of Neshan Dias

Neshan Dias

• 60 Points
Dear Reckon - I am once again getting a very irritating notification from your software asking to renew my licence. 

I purchased the software outright and find it very frustrating that you ask small business owners to spend valuable time contacting you. When I called your number I found out that your office is closed and there was no message that told me what times you are open! Your IVR options are very confusing ... 

I then had to hunt around on the web to learn that you are only open from 9-5. Why do you ask your customers to jump through unnecessary hoops in this day and age of the net where we are always connected and always working? Why do we have to keep calling you every 3 years?

Please explain. And please don't send me a copy of that link to that message that says it's for our benefit... I read that and it doesn't make any sense. 

Thank you.
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Neshan,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the license renewal.  

A representative from our office will be calling you today to arrange the re-licensing of your product.

regards,
John

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.