Quicken personal pro on multi devices

Geoff Daly
Geoff Daly Member Posts: 1
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I want to be able to work on my quicken personal plus files wherever I am.  I (and I alone) would only be accessing the quicken files from one device at a time.  

I thought the license was tied to the Quicken file, not the program, so I put the whole Q filesystem on dropbox and when I installed on another computer it didn't play nicely.  I have lots of spare time on planes and hotels so being able to use this while away would be great. 

Can anyone advise whether this is possible?  And if not, Reckon, why not?   I'm not trying to rip Reckon off, I just want to be able to work on my files wherever I am.  It's pretty standard fare these days.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• vinia
    vinia Alumni Posts: 53
    edited March 2014

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for using Reckon Community.

With regards to your query, Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2013 license is only designed for one computer. And it's not designed to work on a tablet only to windows computer only as well. By saying this, we do not recommend installing the program into multiple devices if you plan to install the program to multiple windows computer.

The license is tied to the program, this way you can open any quicken file. And in order to open the file into another computer you need to have a program installed into that computer you wish to open the file.

If you wish to have another copy of the program on another computer you have to purchased another license for that, because one computer should have one license.

If there is anything else that we can help you with, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Vinia

Reckon Technical Support

• Shane Wilkinson
    Shane Wilkinson Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2014
    Is there any chance Reckon will move in the direction (or at least has it under consideration) that Geoff was anticipating?

Similar licensing protocols do exist but without the need for keeping files on the cloud or similar. Have a look at Memory map - licensing of multiple devices is controlled via login to their website.

For me, caravanning for extended periods (but not full time) is rendering meaningful use of Reckon somewhat redundant as my home PC is exactly that - at home - whilst travelling. But when home I much prefer to use the home PC, not a tablet.
  • Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
    A definition of what is a "single-user-licence"

Looks like Reckon "grants the user the right to install the software on only one machine,".

Shane mentioned "Memory Map" and their way of controlling licences, which is actually quite interesting as they allow you to install on two PC's and migrate licences to other devices after a re-installation.

Geoff, you may need to find different software that better matches your usage requirements of installations on multiple devices.

As your data file is not stored 'in-the-cloud', you'd still need to make a copy of it and transfer it from one device to another in order to make use of it.

-IM

• vinia
    edited April 2014

Hello,

As of the moment, there is no update yet for migrating licenses of Reckon Personal (quicken) to a cloud version. the Product development team has that laid out on the plate but no estimated time yet when this is going to happen.

With Regards to the license - yes we allow the end user to install the program to a different machine when current computer died. We have maximum limit of activation and also the license register the machine code. Once the customer has reached the maximum activation you have to call us to register and then we would know how many machines that the software has been installed too.

Also, you will get a warning message " this does not seem to be the same computer......."

Kind Regards,

Vinia

• Shane Wilkinson
    Shane Wilkinson Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2014
    With respect, that isn't an answer to the question. No-one is talking about dead computers and transfer of the software to its replacement.

The question is, in recognition of the arrival of tablet machines and the computing mobility they bring, is Reckon considering moving from a system of "one licence, one machine" to a system of "one licence, multiple machines"? Multiple would only need to be 2 machines.
  • Spilly
    Spilly Member Posts: 182 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    You will not get a definitive answer on that other than no or it's possible. The solution for on the road with reasonable internet connection, is RDP to your home from any tablet, smart phone, laptop, pc. At really no cost other than data and power to run your pc while your away. Also if you are on the road a lot, maybe a laptop should be your solution take it where you go. Shifting a working data file between pc's it not a great solution, theft while on the road, work being enter to the wrong data file, Storage failure while being transfered (USB stick died).
  • vinia
    edited November 2017

Hello,

So far, no plans of making one license - multiple computers. Most of the software's have this policy as well. We have some licenses with multiple capabilities but that is for business Range (Reckon Accounts Business - formerly known as QuickBooks)

They may make some changes in the future but there is no guarantee.

Kind Regards,

Vinia

• Evan Parker
    Evan Parker Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2017
    It is about time Reckon addressed this issue. It has been a bugbear of your customers for a long time. Reckon has failed to innovate since it changed from Quicken and is driving itself out of the market. I have two computers and two laptops and two mobile phones and can use dozens of different software programs on all of them. eg: Dropbox, Google Calandar, The Australian, Foxtel, Evernote, etc. This request was last ignored four years ago. How about addressing the issue.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited November 2017
    Hi Evan,
    There aren't any plans on introducing cloud functionality to the current Reckon Personal product range. The services you've highlighted eg. Dropbox etc are cloud based services as opposed to a local installation such as the Personal Plus or Home & Business.

The ultimate and much longer term plan is to introduce features that are unique to the Personal range into the Reckon One platform, and since this thread was originally created Reckon One has evolved immensely. Its solely a cloud solution which we're continually building, expanding and not limited to by an older code base. There is a lot more discussions, planning, investigation, work and ultimately, time required to establish and integrate such functionality however so no timeframes at this stage but we'll keep the Community posted.

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Ray_8283183
    Ray_8283183 Member Posts: 2

USING RECKON PERSONAL ON MULTIPLE COMPUTERS (PC and Laptops)

In reference to Rav's comment dated November 2022 (over 5 years ago). To date, nothing has changed with regard to RECKON Person Plus being installed on multiple devices (computers and laptops) running Windows 10.

I guess when you can force people to pay $180 annually (increasing at the rate of about 10% per year) for the additional program it is not in RECKON's best interest to rush. Profit always comes before customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Businesses can afford to pay for additional programs because they just add the cost to their customers, like you and me.

I hope RECKON can keep this monolith moving in the right direction and allow customers to install RECKON Personal on multiple devices.

Looking forward to hearing the excuses you have this time. Probably as feeble as the one Rav made in Nov 2014.

Ray

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Ray

Yep you're right, there haven't been changes to the Personal Range when it comes to the area of moving to the cloud as yet. There have been some fairly large things happen since my last reply above in 2017 (note: not Nov 2022 or Nov 2014 as you've mentioned). One that immediately comes to mind is Single Touch Payroll introduced in 2018 after that previous reply which, as has been widely commented, is probably the biggest compliance change requirement since GST. We have five payroll capable software and as I'm sure you can imagine that requires massive changes to product strategy, development roadmaps, resources, time and staffing to accommodate this. This is particularly true since we had to build a whole new ATO compliant platform for all these various software to use as a reporting gateway.

We've also had a range of new products & services come on board since then such as the Single Touch Payroll App, Payroll App, Better Clinics, BetterHQ among others, along with a truckload of work going in behind the scenes into optimisation, infrastructure, API enhancements to mention just a few. Again lots of planning, people, resources and time going into all that.

The Personal Range is a mature product and there will not be any changes made to it in its current form. As I previously alluded to the much longer term future of the Personal Range will be its eventual move to the cloud and its integration with our cloud services. Doing so will remove any device-specific limitations other than having a browser and internet connection.

Also, please note the Personal Range pricing has not increased since 2020.

Ultimately, yes there certainly are plans for the future of the Personal Range as I've mentioned above, we also have considerations and projects for various other products we have going on as well so its sitting in the (much) longer end of the timeframe. While it may not be what you're looking to hear I feel its important to be upfront and transparent in terms of expectations, hopefully it isn't as feeble as you expected.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Ray_8283183
    Ray_8283183 Member Posts: 2

Hi Rav

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posting.

I am using Personal Plus and I have no interest in the Payroll or the Business side of it.

I have been using Personal Plus since early 2000 and to me, the software hasn't changed greatly in the past 22 years.

So, the way I see it Reckon is selling a license to use a product that if you look at the pricing structure has been increasing at more than the average annual inflation rate.

You indicated that the Personal Range would become cloud-based. It sounds like this could take several more years. I personally am not all that comfortable having all my financial affairs somewhere in the cloud,

The original reason for my repose to your posting in 2017 was to draw attention to the fact that loyal Reckon customers were not able to access their data on multiple devices. I was just hoping more could be done to speed up the process. Even if it meant just being able to access my data using a USB memory stick, which would be my preferred option.

Reckon Personal Plus has been my preferred choice to manage my finances and share my portfolio. It has been for many years and will probably continue for many more If the price doesn't keep rising.

Ray

• Rodney_10863158
    Rodney_10863158 Member Posts: 1

Hi I am trying to get hold of a download for my registered version 7.4 Quickbooks pro as the computer I had it installed on crashed leaving me with no access to my data, I have backed up my files but as my new computer does not have Quickbooks installed I can not restore or view them. I have a lot invoices pending so until I get this sorted I am stuck, I have all the no's for my registered version but not the program to install it on my new computer. I hope you can help

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

Email me tomorrow critters@netspace.net.au