Reckon 2014 premium, company file is missing

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Reckon 2014 premium , company file installed in Host computer. We have 3 client computers. After the consultant did final account adjustment on my computer says client 1. Now client 2 & 3 computers cannot sign into Reckon. My computer client 1 is fine. On computer 2 & 3, make a restore, point it to computer file in server location BUT it was not there (not showing). Check Host computer, our company file is there, same also on my computer BUT not client 2 & 3 computers.imageimage

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Lou

Some preliminary research for you to try.....

Your screen shots are a bit too small to read (or fuzzy if magnified),  but it would seem that there is possibly a sharing/connection issue.    But I'm concerned you use the word:  "restore"   when really you are perhaps just trying the 'see' a common central HOS server original file on your server from each of the three client PC's.

Using Windows and NOT Reckon,  and sitting on your PC (client 1),  can you use Windows Explorer (my Computer or Explorer icon)  to drill down through your network to see the HOST server,  and its shared folders containing he shared COMPANY FILE  (xxxx.qbw_).

TIP:  The location of that file can be observed as you would normally log into that company from client 1 (hover over the company name shows where the file actually existing on your network, over on the SERVER)

Now,  repeat that NON-reckon process sitting on client 2 PC  (and again on client 3 PC).   If you can't see the xxxx.qbw file using simple windows explorer, then the Reckon program would have no hope, because something on your network or the way the files are 'shard' on your network, are essentially not sharing.

The above eliminates any cabling, networking file sharing issues from a WINDOWS point of view.
    If you can't get to this point, then the problem is an IT matter to solve, not a Reckon matter.

After that, comes the question of whether the HOST installation is properly running as a HOST as far as Reckon database sharing is concerned.

But may I suggest you come back with the results of the above test first,.

Gary Pope
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)

"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
    and retired FCPA Accountant"

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Use Window explorer drill down to Host computer, company qbw file is there.
    Use Window explorer drill down through network on Client 1 computer, company qbw file is in HOST computer.
    Use Window explorer drill down through network on Client 2 and 3 computers, company qbw file was not found (not showing in the list) in HOST computer

Do you think uninstall/re-install  Reckon 2014 premium on the HOST computer and restore back up copy of company file qbw from my USB portable drive help?

Thanks

Lou
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Lou

no.

the file is really there on HOST.  You've just proved that.   And,  client1 PC can see it too.

Gary

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Then why from Client computer 2&3, the company qbw file is not showing despite able to drill down to the file location in HOST computer. Can the company qbw file config to hide from Client 2 & 3 computers? This happen after a Reckon consultant tidy up our company account using client1 PC  yesterday, ready for our accountant copy. Could this upset the Client 2&3 PCs today?
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Lou

I really hope that we're on the same page here,  and that we are deliberately comparing the difference between what you as a normal Reckon user, would like to see within the RECKON operations, 
    VERSUS
    some underlying Windows/Networking tests I've asked above.

IE:  If client 2 & 3 are not able to see files at a WINDOWS level, then it is unlikely that programs sitting on top of their respective windows structure, are able to 'see files'.

So,  your proof test you've done above,  implies that there is a windows/network sharing or permission issue here, at the SYSTEM level (nothing to do with Reckon).

IE:  Perhaps the company file (xxx.qbw)  was moved changed or created (again) on the HOST server,  using a login/access permission that only the HOST server and client 1 PC  has the 'permission' to see.  IE:  Maybe somebody moved things around as a Winders Server ADMINISTRATOR privilege instead of the privileges (lower) that are used on say client 2 or 3  PC's.

You'd best discuss this with your IT manager and look at the permissions and file sharing status here,  and/or revisit what happened when the files were touched/changed past.

The adjustments or suggestions next, are not the sort of thing to fiddle with,  without full knowledge of the security setup of your networking/site, I'm afraid.

The comforting thing,  be it all "1 user"  is that the file DOES exist,  and whatever "Windows Login privileges" as either a local PC user or a DOMAIN LOGIN user (for your entire network) is,  that you have access to the file from client 1 PC,  so the file exists OK.
    SO don't go doing any restores or duplications - you'll just add to the confusion.  Get to o the source of the problem.   Discover why you can't perform the above test we suggested - that's the secret to finding the source of the problem.

Cheers

Gary Pope

and retired FCPA Accountant"

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Hi Kevin,

Is the database server manager part of Reckon's program?

If yes, can I uninstall and reinstall Reckon on the HOST computer to eliminate any problem with my current database server manager.

Thanks

Lou
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Hi Kevin,

I reckon I will try to scan the company file first before re-install the whole Reckon program.
    I will let you know the result.

Thanks & regards,

Lou
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Kevin.

Lou says he can see the files from client 1,  but not for client 2&3 PCs.    You are correct about the Reckon Database Server associated program and the scan/share idea,  but irrespective of that,  there seems to be a underlying inability for client 2&3 to even see the folder and files at a purely Windows level.  That is a gotcha in itself.

I was suggesting that Lou takes care not to make a backward step, from the success he already has, with client 1 able to see and run his business in the meantime.   I feel the answer to this rests with the people who made the changes on Lou's equipment in recent days.

Gary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Hi Kevin, 

I have team viewer installed for remote access but I am not in office now.

Cheers,

Lou
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015

Hi Kevin

I have run the database server manage, scan for the company file,  still client 2 & 3 , windows explorer drill down network, the company file is not showing in the list.

Hence, unable to login from client 2 & 3, the error message as follow

The Reckon Accounts company file

\Host\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\Trans-Link.QBW cannot be opened. The problem can be fixed if you log out of Windows, and ask the Windows administrator at your site to log in to Windows and open this company file in Reckon Accounts.

Regards,

Lou

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Hi Kevin

For your information, on the HOST Pc, these are the files listed

Company.ND              30/06/2014
    Company.QBW           06/06/2015
    Company.QBW.nd      06/06/2015
    Company.QBW.TLG   06/06/2015

should there be two ND files?

Regards,

Lou
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Yes, I have full write access to the company file directory in HOST computer.
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Lou

Sorry, been busy elsewhere overnight....   Your last answer has me curious about which PC you are sitting on (hopefully client 2 or 3) when you declare that you can actually write a text file (ie; have write access)  to the folder where the QBW file is stored on the HOST server.   Again:  Can you log in and sit at client 3,  and use windows explorer to see the HOST server 'folder' and create a text 'test.txt' file in that folder?  And to prove it, can you then return to sit at the HOST server and see that file actually made?

Also,  please advise what your client/server setup is there.  We've never been made aware whether you are running a full domain controller with WIndows Server 20xx Server for instance, and have domain controllers...... or whether you just have a simplistic peer-to-peer network between multiple PCs just running Win XP or Win7 for instance?

1.  What operating system is the HOST server running?
    2.  Are ytou running a full domain controller setup?
    3.  What operating system are each of the PC's running?

IE:  I hope the clients are all Wins "PRO" and no "HOME editions     for instance.

If you CAN make a test text file above,  then it is possible that the windows FILE OWNERSHIP of the COMPANY.xxx files are owned by the Host Server administrator only, or some permission issue like that.  But it all depends on the environment (the combination of operating systems) on your network.  This is the line of checking that I was seeking your focus on earlier yesterday.

Also:  Have you made contract with the people who instigated the changes recently, and asked them what machines they were SITTING at, and what Windows User/Domain login they were using,when they made changes to the key files?

Given the findings of the last 24hrs,  I'm inclined to be looking at what HOST server sharing permissions (at a HOSTwindows level) have been declared for the three client PC's and to determine why those permissions seem more favourable to client 1.   However,  I'm also concerned that the credentials of how you log into client 1,  are perhaps gaining greater access to the services, shares and file access rights on the HOST,  versus the client 2 or 3  Windows login/domain settings respectively.

Gary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Hi Gary, Thank you for coming back.  It is a simple peer-to-peer network.
    HOST on Windows 8.1 32bit, Client on Windows 7 Pro 32bit, Client 2 on Windows 7 Pro 32bit and Client 3 on Windows XP Pro 32bit.

I have not tried to write a text file from Client 2 to the Host the company file location.

HOST was config to share file and printer, no restriction at all.

Thanks

Lou
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Lou.  

I'm sorry to have to spell this out,  but we've been asking for a simple, important test, which is still not done your end.

You continue to miss the point of my test.  I would like you to go through the motions of actually creating a file on the HOST in the folder, next to where the QBW files are located,  but do this sitting at the Client 2 or 3 machine.   The point of this test, is the establish if in fact you are really able to gain WRITE ACCESS to the folder within which, the QBW files sit.  But prove it.

That way,  we can all determine if it is a windows FOLDER SHARING issue at the operating system/network level or not. 

Reckon database file sharing is another aspect that sits on TOP of that privileged ability.  If the foundation is wrong, you have no hope.

The outcome of writing a simple file,  PROVES whether the network is permitting client 2 (or3) to have write access to the FOLDER in question.

If that PASSES,  then there are two reason why the QBW file is not reachable
    a)  The Database sharing program, as Kevin stated earlier
    b)  OR  the fact that the QBW database  (AS A WINDOWS 'FILE')  has been set to permit shared access to specific USERS, or MACHINES elsewhere on the network.    (This is the point we're trying to identify as being the underlying issue or not).

Once (b) is rectified,  then you still need to do (a).    But without (b) being capable,  it is no point running around in circles wondering why (a) is still not giving you a desired result. 

Keep it simple, go to the basics, and ensure they are working.

But most important,  DON'T disturb the fact that you already have  client 1  in good working shape,  otherwise you risk being off the air for business whilst the rest is being sorted.

Gary
    (ling night!)
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Kevin.   It seems Lou is missing this strategic point to prove he
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, ... to prove he can actually WRITE to the folder on the PEER network.  So let's see what the result is after I've reasked him below.

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Lou - correct me if I've missed something,  you said in your last post that you have NOT tried writing a test file from client 2.   But what test (if any) did you try from client 3 ?    IE:   WE want you to do a test (as explained) from at least ONE of them,.     Spell out in more detail the tests that you are doing as we go along.  Otherwise this is getting tedious doing iit over a forum - better to do it over the phone or as Kevin suggested ask one of us to actually log into the machines with teamviewer or the like, and get to the bottom of it.  Half the vital information is perhaps not being observed or communicated here.  Not good.

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Lou My take on this is that Computer 2 and 3 are looking in the wrong location. If you can see the folder contents but not the file then it is simply the wrong location, and probably the wrong computer. First, you need to find out what Computer 1's computer name is. Open explorer, r.ight click on This PC, then Properties. This will bring up a screen showing your computer name. Say it is Computer1. Open windows explorer in Computer2 and type this in the address bar: \Computer1\Users\Public\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files If it won't open the location, the file location may not be shared . If you can open the location you will be able to see the Reckon File. Double click on the file and see if it opens. If it doesn't, then you can start looking at permissions and firewalls and database servers, but the symptoms you describe in your first post make me think that you are looking in the wrong spot. Graham Boast 0409317366 graham@reckonhelp.com.au Reckon Accredited Consultant

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Spot on, Graham
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Let me clarify, the location of computer file is in \HOST\Users\Public\Public Document\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company files.

I point to correct file location as above from Client 2 and Client 3. Both computers, windows explorer, drill down via network from Client 2 and Client 3 computers respectively, the company file not to be seen in HOST. (kind of disappear).  BUT Client 1 computer (my PC) drill down via network, I can see the company file there in HOST.

This is beyond me.

By the way, Gary, you ask me to create a file from Client 2 computer onto the HOST where the company QBW file. I do not understand txt file.  Is it to write a text using Notepad? can you write me the steps? I like to try this out to eliminate the cause.

Note: The person that did something in Reckon is coming this Monday, 8th June, 2015.

Thanks, Lou

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    I will screen shot and post the HOST, Client 1 and Client 2  showing the location of company file for you all. Thank you for your effort.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Lou.

You may not like this, but it needs stating.....  and it IS in your best business interests to appreciate the spirit in which it is presented here, anonymously to you, as we don't know you. 

A text file is just a simple, character based file containing something as simple as writing  "the quick brown fox...".   It is a file that has name that ends in ".txt'.  YES: You're on the money,  NOTEPAD does this,  but given the fact you want to engage in discussion on these things at a network level,  using notepad to create a simple file, is basics 101, and the need to ask, implies a risk of what would be asked of you next to do, if not comfortable with debugging system administration issues.     When you are using windows explorer to see the FOLDER (and as Grahame points out,  make sure it is the right folder!)   you can RIGHT-CLICK and create a text file, yes, using NOTEPAD.exe.  It is uncomplicated, fast and easy.  The point we really trying to fathom out, is whether you can in fact access and create a simple file in the FOLDER where you 'believe' that the QBW files are. 

Graham is rightfully suggesting that MAYBE you are not looking in the right folder area (which would be a shame, because you're leading us down the wrong path),  whereas  Kevin is suggesting the QBW file needs to be made multi-user (from a "RECKON ACCOUNTING PROGRAM" point of view),  and I am wanting to establish that the NETWORK is in fact allowing the 3 PCs (not just one of them)  to have the privilege/right/permission  to actually deal/write/access the alleged folder.  They are THREE DIFFERENT, yet required, aspects of what is needed in order to allow all this to work.  So, we want to start with the basics, and build up the knowledge from there. That's all we've been wanting to do when we first replied to help you.

Frankly, Lou,  it is Saturday night on a long weekend, and we're really trying to help you.  It concerns me that you're playing with these matters if you're not comfortable with some of the terminology we're using here.  I say this, not to embarrass anybody,  but to highlight the fact that something on your network is not quite right,  but you really should be permitting somebody who has IT skills to gain access to see what is going on.  You have three top flight Accredited Partners (APs) responding to you on a free forum, and you really should be calling to action, the people who left you in a mess the other day.  So let's be commercially practical and careful with what we're dealing with here.  It is for these reasons, I've been keen to ensure you do NOT lose the connectivity of client 1 in the meantime,  otherwise you will be unable to run your business at the end of this long weekend.

Kevin offered to allow access to sort this out, and that has been ignored for some reason..   So the call is up to you please, Lou.  You'll see from the FORUM results that we three partners of Reckon have good credentials and are capable of helping,  but this two-n-fro with insufficient info on the forum is not really remedying your situation efficiently at all.

Kevin is in Geelong, Graham in Shepparton, and I'm in The Basin - all Vic.  Can any of us help you directly?

OR:  Are you comfortable awaiting your party that got this situation in the state it is, coming back on Monday 8th?  Which direction you would prefer to take?

Respectfully, and patiently,

Gary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2019
    Hi Everyone, I, in fact , try to phone Kevin this morning, not knowing that it is OZ phone number. I am in Auckland. I will go back Sunday to office, try the text file as Gary suggested. Cheers and thanks, Lou
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Thanks
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Lou,  overnight I felt a better, more informative reply was in order,  so perhaps this two-page document will help define the nature of your problem a little more clearly.

"http://www.alchester.com.au/download/where_is_that_computer_file.pdf

Gary Pope

and retired FCPA Accountant

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2017
    Hi Gary

Thank you for the article.

I can write a text file from Client 2 computer and save the file in the Host PC where the location of the company file.  The text file appears in the HOST computer.

I still could not access the company file from Client 2 (Windows XP Pro) and Cleint 3 (Windows 7 Pro) as before.

I decided to uninstall and re-install Reckon 2014 on the HOST computer, restore my QBB file from portable driver. Bingo,Client 3 can login Reckon and Client 1 (my pc) same as before able to login, no issue.

Client 2 (Windows XP Pro), error, network path not found. I have to do some tweet to get this one point to the company file.

Thank you Gary, Kevin and Graham for your people kindness and helpfulness.  Great Job.

Cheers,

Lou

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Lou

Make sure that you test taht this is the same file by entering a new transaction on Computer1 and then looking for it on Computer3.

Graham

• Graham Boast
    edited December 2017
    Hi Lou

Make sure that you test this is the same file by entering a new transaction on Computer1 and then looking for it on Computer3.

Graham

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Terrific!

All the best,

Gary