Reckon 2018

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Has anyone upgraded to Personal 2018 and were there any issues? I'm using Personal 2017 at the moment.

Chris A
Photo of Chris Appleby

Chris Appleby

• 594 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Norman Windell

Norman Windell

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris, upgraded last night from 2017 without any problems. It forced me to uninstall 2017 first but installed 2018 without a hitch and automatically found my existing data file from 2017 which is working fine. Regards Norman
Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

No problems with the upgrade after uninstalling previous version.

HOWEVER, after the last "upgrade" PP2016 to PP2017 and this "upgrade" to PP2018, the splash screen which pops up when the program is launched, continues to display the red 2016 signature.  Have checked the program details in the "About reckon Accounts" window and it shows it as being the 2018 version.

Please explain.

Margaret

Further information:  The correct splash screen (Black 2018) appears only if I set the shortcut to function as "Run as Administrator" mode.  Which then causes the UAC screen to pop up every time I start Reckon PP.   Frustrating!!

M

(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 59,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Margaret,

I haven't come across this type of case before but let me get that checked over by the product team. 
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I installed yesterday with no issues. Just be aware that it wants you to register twice. First with the IKC and then when you run it. Just select the automatic registration option.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

• 586 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ditto the above.  Fingers crossed, no issues
Photo of Chris Appleby

Chris Appleby

• 594 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks guys,

I'll give it a go.

Chris A
Photo of Michael Holmes

Michael Holmes

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I uninstalled 2017, turned off my AntiVirus and tried to install 2018 from the download. I tried several times as it kept saying that there was a previous version installed which baffled me as I had just uninstalled 2017 and there was nothing in Apps and Features to uninstall. after several attempts I was about to give up when I found the installation folder in C:\Program Files (x86). After I deleted that the installation went without a hitch, obviously my initial uninstall didn't clean up this folder.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Well done Michael...
Photo of Tim Bishenden

Tim Bishenden

After many years using Reckon and having year after year having issues installing the upgrades I'm just about to give up on Reckon and go to MYOB or another competitor. Why is such a simple process so difficult? I'm trying to upgrade from Personal Plus 2017 to 2018. Have uninstalled 2017, turned off Firewalls, tried starting the autorun file in Safe Mode, tried downloading the trial - Nothing. The autorun file does not want to do a thing.

I've requested a copy of the disk as a final option - if that doesn't work its goodbye Reckon.
Photo of Pravin Nahar

Pravin Nahar

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Tim
Does MYOB keep the accounts as well as integrated  investment portfolio like Reckon?
I will jump and try any other such program?
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

I don't think so. Reckon download the share prices allowing you to keep your portfolio up to date. Pity about other parts of their service. Great software but poor customer care and relations. If an alternate package was available, most Reckoners would jump.
(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Upgraded yesterday... the only 'issue' was that, after going through the process and getting to the point, finally, of hitting 'install', it was only then that I was told I couldn't install while my 'previous' version was still there. I had to cancel the installation, uninstall my 2017 version then go through the install process again. I don't automatically uninstall existing versions of anything in case I lose registration details which might be required by the new version to authenticate an upgrade. In most cases, the current installation is either overwritten or the new installation deletes the previous one for you... you'd think that Reckon could build this into their upgrades. In the end, the installation went without a hitch and is up and running with my old data files.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Yes... Scary.. Uninstalling seems silly. Many other software upgrades let's you know that a previous version exists and offers to uninstall for you as part of the process. To Reckon... Doohhh!
Photo of Tim Bishenden

Tim Bishenden

David when you finish the download were you double clicking the autorun file? I notice its dated 2014 which seems odd.
Photo of Pravin Nahar

Pravin Nahar

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been using this program for the past 10 years as I have no other choice for home accounts plus managing a small investment portfolio for the family. Unlike any other program upgrade / update Reckon requires you to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one. The registration process is also funny. After being congratulated on successfully installing the program and letting you open a file, it requires you to re-register when you try to open the same file next time..
Reckon refuses to "Up" their game in spite of multiple protests from the users over the past few years.

I have now successfully installed the 2018 version. No major issues so far except that repeatitive script error messages during installation and activation. So far so good. But I will keep my fingers crossed.
Photo of Tim Bishenden

Tim Bishenden

Ok I finally resolved my issue with the install. In the end I had to install Windows 10, upgrade from Windows 7. Anyone else having similar issue this may be the easiest fix.
Photo of Owen J Slattery

Owen J Slattery

• 72 Points
Problem trying to uninstall Reckon 2017 as part of installing Reckon 2018 - I continually get this error message "Internal Error 2753. qcustomaction.dll" Tried turning off firewall and anti-virus software, to no effect. I have found the named .dll file on the 'C'drive - curiously it is shown as 'QCustomAction.dll'.
I have tried renaming it with all lower case - but the problem persists. Any suggestions?
Photo of Owen J Slattery

Owen J Slattery

• 72 Points
I have been able to resolve my problem. REVO Uninstaller has done the job. Interestingly when I first hit the uninstall key for Reckon 2017 it came up with the same error message but I just followed through with Revo to find and the uninstall all remaining files - and it cleaned it out completely. Happy
Photo of Scott Johnston

Scott Johnston

• 60 Points
I'm having massive problems activating the software!
I've followed all the documents and done a clean reinstall of Reckon Accounts 2018 with a "Selective startup" as per http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4333
I have even done a fresh install of Windows 10 so nothing else can be interfering with the activation. I just keep getting the dialog "Reckon Accounts was unable to finish the activation process using the internet".
Customer Support told me to ring Technical Support on a number that is not available to my mobile and I no longer have a landline to call on thanks to the NBN.
Very frustrated!!!
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,422 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

I have just installed 2018 after deleting 2016.

Surprised on installing, as it referred to accounts 2018, rather than RPP 2018.

Like others reported, I had to register twice.

Now have it working.

Annoying that share price auto download now give XJO and XAO close value for high and low, which is over-writing the correct values I load from a .csv file.

Still no browse option for import share prices.

Where is the list of updates for 2018 ??

(Edited)
Photo of pat

pat

• 70 Points
I have uninstalled Personal Plus 2017, installed 2018, via CD, but I cannot backup.   Helpline suggested validate and super validate, which I have done, but I am still unable to backup.   It starts the process, then says it is unable to backup.  Help please.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Welcome to the Reckon Community Pat.

Where are you saving the back up to?

Does the same problem occur when you save the backup to your Desktop? 
You can then copy the backup file to an external drive through File Explorer.

regards,
John
Photo of pat

pat

• 70 Points
Hi, John G,Many thanks for your reply.   I was going to try your suggestion, but cannot open any previous backup files I have, either on my laptop (Dell XPS13, running Windows 10) or from a separate external drive.   I get a pop up window saying: How do you want to open this file?  Look for App in store."   And of course there are no Reckon apps in the Windows store. I am going mad here, as I cannot finish my tax return!!  Previously I was able to open a file in the newly installed Reckon, but could not back it up.  Any more suggestions?  Regards, Pat
Photo of John G

Thanks Pat,

Make sure your backup file is on the PC hard drive, launch Reckon Accounts Personal then restore the backup through File > Restore Backup File.

Hope this helps.

regards,
John.
Photo of Jacqueline Quenault

Jacqueline Quenault

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mine wont let me use the local back up - i have to use the backup i create every single time I use Reckon on an external disk  - very frustrating having to restore the company from back up every single time. Why is this happening?
Photo of John G

Welcome to the Reckon Community, Jacqueline,

Just a few questions to understand your situation a little better:
  • in what location is your local backup stored?  If you move the backup to another location is there any problem restoring?
  • What is the file extension of your backup - .rkn or .qdf?
  • How long is the file name? Does it have a string of numbers attached to it?
  • Where is your working file kept and how often does it fail to open and force you to restore a backup?
  • What error messages do you encounter? 

Hope to have this resolved soon.

regards,
John.
Same problem with Personal Plus 2016 after 2 years trouble free. For some reason my data file is now only on my external HDD backup. When I try to restore to PC hard drive C or D I  get error message "disc not ready" so going in circles....help!