Reckon Accounts 2016 hangs everytime I open the software! Any ideas?

Options
Reckon Accounts 2016 hangs everytime I open the software, and therefore won't open up my datafile. I've reinstalled a couple of times, go through the registration/activation again and the same things happens each time. V v v v v v v frustrating? Any ideas?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Dougal,

Further to Andrew's questions, do you encounter any specific error messages at all?

Do you force close the software after encountering this issue?

Which operating system are you running?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Rav

Yes I have to force close as after the initial screen with the File and Help menu - the system hangs and I can only get rid of it by closing it down through Task manager.

I'm running Windows 8.1. I've been using the software for years, and upgrade each time a new version is available. I've upgraded to Reckon 2016 and it was working fine initially, then I got the 'This appears to be a new computer, do you want to go online and register for another license...' message, which I've done, but then everything hangs (I've left this for several hours and it's still hanging).

And now I can't even get this message, it just hangs straight away.
  • Babi
    Babi Alumni Posts: 75
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Dougal,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with Reckon accounts.

I would advise you to follow the below in order and let me know how it goes?

1. Make sure nothing is running in the computer or simply reboot the pc to force everything shut down again.
     2. Make sure anti virus is not running as well as other securities program like firewall etc. Please turn them off.
    3. Try now.
    4. If the program persists, right click on the reckon accounts Icon > properties> run as admin
     try opening the program again.
    5. If it opens up> select the company file from File menu and navigate to where file is ( please do not select form previously opened file). In case if you are not sure where the files are, try to go " File> find RA files> and pick up the right file) 
    6. But in case on step 5, if you get " This does not belong to same computer message, please continue the process and choose for manually generating installation key. For this I advise you to contact us on 1300137657 as we need product key from your screen too to be able to generate the activation key.

Hope this helps, kindly try this much for now and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Babi

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks Babi

Have restarted my PC, and re-launched Reckon - which at least now brings up the 'Not the same computer message'. Per your advice I will call the customer service line to get a new activation key. Hopefully this works. I have however seen numerous threads re this same problem, and it seems to me that this should be fixed by Reckon asap.

The other prob for me now is that I am at work during the time that your contact number is open (9 to 6 I believe), and when I'm at home with the time to sort this problem there's no one there. Please pass this feedback on - as I'm sure a large portion of your personal customers using this software would be in the same boat.

PS: I've been using Reckon software for many years now and am a big fan, but these sorts of issues are incredibly frustrating. Cheers, Dougal
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Latest is that I'm now up and running again after 2 hours on the phone with Tech Support. Problem was that when running the file validation process my data file became corrupted and therefore the software would hang when trying to open my file. This whole process however also caused my Share Price history to also be deleted, but on reading other posts I found an older version of the .QPH file and have some prior history back. But, I have no price history for several weeks during December 2015, and if I run a price update now I only get the last week of prices. Q: Is there any way to now get a specific time period of share price updates? I don't fancy having to type all these in manually for several weeks of missing data? Cheers.