Reckon Accounts 2018 Installation Interrupted

Blake_9849199
Blake_9849199 Member Posts: 7
I am attempting to upgrade a customer from Accounts Premier 2017 to 2018 on their Quickbooks server (as they heavily use multi-user mode).  During the upgrade process, I encountered an issue where it crashed and just stopped.  I then attempted to manually uninstall Accounts 2017 and reinstall 2018 instead, which has started an endless series of installation interrupted messages.  To date I have tried:
  • Safe mode
  • Disabling print spooler
  • Disabling anti virus
  • Selective startup
  • Clean uninstall/install
  • Manual installation of .net 3.5.1 prior to installation
  • Every support article I can find on Reckon's official site or the forums
I have attempted all of these solutions with both out 2017 install and 2018.  I also tried contacting Reckon support 1 month ago (as the customer has a support licence) and have heard nothing back, which is nothing short of disgraceful.

Obviously Reckon is incapable of operating a support system, so the customer will be moving to MYOB next FY, but for now I need to get the installation online and stable.  Can anyone offer any other suggestions/alternatives that could get it up and running now?  As now they've been unable to use multi-user mode for 1.5 months which is causing huge headaches at the business.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited November 2018
    Hi Blake,

Sorry to hear these issues have been ongoing for quite some time now.

Is there a Citrix environment at play in this specific situation?

If not, can you give me the Case ID number for the support request that was submitted on your contact with the team a month ago please.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Blake_9849199
    edited November 2018
    No Citrix anywhere in the environment.

I think a case number popped up on screen when I hit submit, but I never got an email and (foolishly) forgot to write down the case number.  It was filed with the email address I've used on this account.
  • Ilana Roitman
    Ilana Roitman Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    Hi Blake

I had that problem updating too, but I always ask for a hard copy to be mailed to me, so I installed it from the CD and no problem
    good luck

• Spilly
    Spilly Member Posts: 182 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Are you trying to install it from a network drive??

Try not using the winzip installer, unzip the exe to a local drive and run setup program.
  • Blake_9849199
    edited November 2018
    Neither of those suggestions have worked.

It's a VM so using the CD isn't a viable option (Hyper-V has no passthru), and I'm installing from a local drive.  I attempted to unzip and run setup - still no joy.
  • Spilly
    edited August 2020
    What’s the error? it’s listed in the event viewer. I’d suggest searching for registry entries for ‘intuit’, ‘Reckon’, ‘QuickBooks” and delete every entry to ensure it’s a clean installed. There is not risk deleting any entry as they shouldn’t been there when doing a clean install. Make sure there no services listed, remove if there is. Delete any folders associated with the program (don’t delete your data file) =)

Without remote access to your system. It’s guess work and assumptions.. I have installed and uninstalled this software countless times. 99% of the time it works as expected if strict procedure are followed.
  • Blake_9849199
    edited November 2018
    I get events with error 1603 which also are accompanied by a WindowsInstallerCustomActions error.  I can get a proper dump tomorrow.

I have repeatedly removed stuff from the registry, removed all folders, removed any services etc...

• Spilly
    edited August 2020
    Windows Installer 1603 errors are very common and basically means many things. You don’t have the correct permissions. Not enough drive space. Program previously installed. Many more.... As you have said previously the issues started after Crashed install, remnants of the install may still exist. You need to do a clean install as Administrator, you may also need to a disk cleanup and remove windows installer files, clean Temp folder as well due to potential remnants. This has been going on for over a month, what is the company using?
  • Blake_9849199
    edited August 2020
    Hi Tim,

All of those have been checked.  I've done a clean install, I've removed all remnants as per the Reckon guide, I have done a disk cleanup, removed the Temp folder etc...

The company can use it in single user mode - the issue is that the company file server cannot be installed which means no multi-user.

Blake
  • Spilly
    edited December 2018
    Question: You say, you can not install the 'file server'. Which install option are you choosing??
  • Blake_9849199
    edited December 2018
    I've tried both the "Company File Server" and Full Installation options.
  • Spilly
    edited December 2018
    If you like, drop me an email support@spillman.com.au, if you want me to take a look.
  • Brian Walker
    Brian Walker Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2019
    Hi Blake, did you ever get this issue resolved ?  I have the same problem and tearing me hair out.

thanks.....Brian
  • Blake_9849199
    edited July 2019
    Hi Brian,

I did - the issue had to do with the fact that Reckon Accounts still depends on an archaic version of .NET Framework (3.5) that is not fully supported on Windows Server 2016.  I needed to manually remove the invalid version that Reckon attempted to manually install, install the correct version using my Server 2019 media and then finally re-attempt the Reckon install.

Hope that helps.